SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

6 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Here's a visual history of the SouthPark area. Pretty amazing how fast development around the mall sprout up:

50 years of SouthPark history hanging in one office hallway

I know many of us lament the growth of the suburbs, but this is pretty incredible.  50 years ago, an area that is now "fairly" urban was a damn cow pasture.  Charlotte keeps on changing!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I recall being at their premium outlet store and thinking "this is the exact same merchandise and price points as their main store." 

I'm sure the rent at South Park is higher than the streets at South Point. Boston Proper, which was right next to the Microsoft store, closed right after Christmas. Fingers crossed for something interesting to replace them!

Edited by Temeteron

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I recall being at their premium outlet store and thinking "this is the exact same merchandise and price points as their main store." 

They show a lot of product on nordstrom.com and elsewhere. Plus, they were sold to private equity.

I'm guessing there's a need to unload some leases and reduce costs. I'd say there's also a good bit of cannibalization going on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Outlet store is a loaded term nowadays. Originally, company outlet stores were created so that full price stores would have a place to unload older styles in order to make room for new seasons. Occasionally, runs of a garment/item were produced exclusively for the outlets, but that was pretty darn rare. Now that, and what toz referred to, is the norm. Outlets are just regular priced stores with much less options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I had a very dark and personal relationship with South Park Mall as as kid; it involved a lot of pain and suffering. These three photos, taken at SP's "West Plaza by the valet pick-up, describe why perfectly. Come with me on the journey.

MARK - WIN_20160119_154657.JPG

MARK - WIN_20160119_154716.JPG

MARK - WIN_20160119_154726.JPG

This isn't the west plaza. This is at the front of the mall near Cheesecake Factory and Gap's outdoor entrance. Not sure what you are referring to. Is it the grass that is eroded by people walking on it?

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Old Navy is opening at SouthPark, next to Dillard's - opening date is not set yet.

Might sound silly to some/most but there isn't an Old Navy ANYWHERE around the middle of Charlotte since they closed the Cotswold and Arboretum locations.  Carolina Pavilion, Blakeney and Matthews are it.  The one in Blakeney is typically a zoo. 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Might sound silly to some/most but there isn't an Old Navy ANYWHERE around the middle of Charlotte since they closed the Cotswold and Arboretum locations.  Carolina Pavilion, Blakeney and Matthews are it.  The one in Blakeney is typically a zoo. 

If you're raising kids, Old Navy is great. The threads will last about as long as your kid's size doesn't change.

Otherwise, no.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tempur-Pedic is opening a 'flagship' store in the former American Apparel space near the main entrance.  Forgive the cliche, but snooze.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article78918472.html

Also, I don't buy expensive clothes, but it would be nice to see SouthPark attract some premium brands that also have a men's line.  All we seem to get are women's and accessory brands.  And apparently mattress stores in prime locations.  Is this for the husbands/boyfriends who get dragged along on shopping trips so they have a comfortable place to nap while their wives/girlfriends shop at all our women's 'athleisure' stores?

• Like 1

^!!! I didn't even know American Apparel had closed. That's too bad-we used to have two locations (one in the Southend and one at Southpark). Granted, a lot of things were too eccentric for me, but they had some cool graphic tees and I liked going their for basics. Everything was a little to pricey for what it was but I guess that's the price you pay for something made in the USA.

I really really wish that we had a Uniqlo. It's probably my favorite store at the moment (although maybe tied with Zara).

Not to go off topic, but I wish they'd put a Uniglo or a Zara (or a Topshop/man) in Uptown with all that retail (potentially) coming aboard.  If they are eventually going to add shopping in Uptown, they'll need to add stuff with no other locations in CLT/NC to draw the suburbanites to shop in Uptown.

Anyway... Old Navy & a mattress stores... WTF is up with South Park?

Edited by Higgs Boson
  • Like 1

I'm not a fashionista by any means nor too knowledgable in the clothing retail industry.

I wonder if it is possible that, for example, a potential retail center at the CO site has more premium brands.

I know South Park has a lot of foot traffic and probably a lot of shoppers who go there for luxury brands. But there is a larger market for retailers like Old Navy that might meet the market demands better, and stores like Old Navy are probably able to pay more of a premium price for space etc. than a lower volume, more expensive store who has a more limited market.

Uptown on the other hand lacks the foot traffic and probably the will of the Charlotte Region to attract people to uptown to shop at a retail center that has retailers like American Eagle, Forever 21, etc when you have Charlotte Premium, South Park, Concord Mills, Eastfield in Gastonia, North Lake. 

I'm just curious if an uptown retail center would be more costly for tenants than South Park mall. Throw up a few traffic generating stores like H&M and sprinkle some more.

maybe I'm just too desperate for retail to come uptown I'm coming up with any logic, or lack thereof