SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, KJHburg said:

They go in high performing malls. They are 2 in Atlanta at Lenox and Perimeter probably the 2 best malls in that city. SouthPark does not have the space unless someone leaves and that is rare event. And I am sure that is where they want to go but maybe there could be an opportunity in South End  or maybe even uptown but not sure if they would do that. 

In Cocoa Beach now, to return to Charlotte next month. The nearest shopping mall here is sleepy and a little run down. Makes me appreciate the rare phenomenon that SouthPark is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I'd like to see happen at SouthPark:

• Macy's should rebrand to a Bloomingdale's. Macy's and Belk are too similar and need something to differentiate each other without one of them closing.
  • Saks needs to replace Dick's... I don't know why that store has lasted in a mall as upscale as SouthPark for so long.
  • There is currently two empty storefronts in the NM wing, Gucci and Versace should open in them.
  • Armani should rebrand the Collezioni store to an AE store.
  • Zara should open in the space between J. Crew and Belk (it's past time for them to enter Charlotte).
  • There is also 3 empty storefronts beside Foot Locker, one between B&BW & Journey's, another between Journey's & American Girl.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Crown said:

The Track & Field Store has closed its doors after just two years in SouthPark mall.

The athletic apparel retailer was in a 1,695 square-foot space next to Kendra Scott. It opened in June 2015.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article154658164.html

Just an edit to her article, but the Los Angeles store is closed as well. They couldn't make it work in the Brentwood neighborhood of L.A. either just 1 mile from the beach as a swimsuit / Brazilian active wear brand. They are down to just two stores: New York and Miami 

Surprised this ever opened in Charlotte.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Was at the mall today with out of town friends and the Frontgate store is closing and becoming an outlet store at Carolina Pavillion on South Blvd.  I think this is where Ballard Design is going into and I am pretty sure they have the same parent company. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 7:16 PM, KJHburg said:

Was at the mall today with out of town friends and the Frontgate store is closing and becoming an outlet store at Carolina Pavillion on South Blvd.  I think this is where Ballard Design is going into and I am pretty sure they have the same parent company. 

Lululemon will be taking over most of Frontgate's space.

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2017 at 2:15 PM, KJHburg said:

Oh okay well Ballard Design is coming somewhere in the mall I thought they may take over Frontgate as they have the same parent company. 

Ballard Design is going in the Express space next to Dillard's. Good location as it will be next to Sur La Table for some houseware related synergies. Express is moving over to the former Hollister space next to Abercrombie and Fitch which is a better location for foot traffic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Why can’t the mall support upscale stores anymore? 

Luxury retail is now experiencing some of the pressures the rest of the retail sector has been experiencing as well as some unique pressures. I would expect stores in secondary markets to be closed to support the stores in the top 10 cities. Ralph Lauren even had to close their Polo flagship on Fifth Avenue to cut costs. 

Good article explaining the hardship for luxury retail:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevendennis/2017/03/07/luxury-retail-hits-the-wall/#3dd1a254401e

• Unfavorable demographics. Affluent baby boomers have propped up the sector for more than a decade. But as customers get older they tend to spend less overall, and quite a bit less on luxury in particular. Baby boomers are slowly but surely aging out of the segment. Gen X is a smaller cohort and there is little evidence they will spend as much as the boomers. Over the longer term, millennials will need to make up for the boomers who, to put it bluntly, will be dying off. Most studies suggest millennials will be more price-sensitive and less status conscious then then the cohorts ahead of them. This is a major long-term headwind.
Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

From 1957-58 until 1973-75 the US birth rate fell nearly 30%. {edit-total births fell 30%. The birth rate fell nearly 40%}

https://www.infoplease.com/us/births/live-births-and-birth-rates-year

This is a spectacular decline and manifests in every factor of culture. Thirty percent fewer buying second homes, luxury items, new cars, for goods and services of any kind. The good news for those born in the early to mid 70's is their cohort was dramatically less competitive for all the opportunities of early adult life than their Boomer cousins. College entrance, jobs, anything a teen to mid 20's person sought was more available since the demand had dropped ~30%. This was all before any effect of immigration, which would have a negligible effect in any case. The 70's babies were/are a different group in so many ways and I expect luxury goods is another marker for that. 40+ earners are near the top of the luxury market demo but there are so many fewer of them than the the group ahead in life. And with different attitudes.

I see nearly everything in terms of demographics.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I take it back, its actually just going to be a new Prada boutique at Neimans

That's what at I was suspecting lol....I used to work at Neiman back in 2008. Needless to say a lot has changed since then. Their couture business isn't like it used to be and their upscale high top sneakers section has quadrupled (SMH).  There also were a few brands that exited and then they returned. I'm pretty sure Prada was one of them. 

Edited by Temeteron

• 1 month later...

Aerosoles is closing at SouthPark Mall, adjacent to Belk and across from Gap. The company declared bankruptcy protection last month, is closing 74 stores, and downsizing to just 4 stores in New York and New Jersey.  The retail bloodbath continues. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article179254441.html

Keep an eye on the Gap and Banana Republic at SouthPark. Gap Group plans to close 200 Gap and Banana Republic stores nationwide as they focus growth on Old Navy and Athleta (both of which SouthPark has). 

http://www.gapinc.com/content/gapinc/html/media/pressrelease/2017/med_pr_090617_gps_GoldmanSachs.html

Over the next three years, the company expects to add about 70 net new stores, with the addition of about 270 Old Navy, Athleta and value expressions across the portfolio, and the closure of about 200 underperforming Gap and Banana Republic specialty locations.

Edited by CLT2014

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 3:24 PM, CLT2014 said:

Aerosoles is closing at SouthPark Mall, adjacent to Belk and across from Gap. The company declared bankruptcy protection last month, is closing 74 stores, and downsizing to just 4 stores in New York and New Jersey.  The retail bloodbath continues. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article179254441.html

Keep an eye on the Gap and Banana Republic at SouthPark. Gap Group plans to close 200 Gap and Banana Republic stores nationwide as they focus growth on Old Navy and Athleta (both of which SouthPark has). 

http://www.gapinc.com/content/gapinc/html/media/pressrelease/2017/med_pr_090617_gps_GoldmanSachs.html

Over the next three years, the company expects to add about 70 net new stores, with the addition of about 270 Old Navy, Athleta and value expressions across the portfolio, and the closure of about 200 underperforming Gap and Banana Republic specialty locations.

BR would be a great space for Zara. :wub: