uptownliving

SouthPark Mall

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Just curious, did you ever shop at the Emporio Armani at SouthPark? I never saw many people in it, but I'm sure some people liked it.

Their items will continue to be available at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus at SouthPark if you are a customer (plus online of course with free returns). 

Yes I agree whenever I passed by it was always empty.  I’ve shopped in the past from Emporio but as it is not in my price range it’s hard to go often.  The only stores that have been in the neiman wing since it opened that are still there are Louis Vuitton and Burberry.  The others have been in and out, in and out.  RIP Hermès, Juicy Couture,  Billy Reid, BCBG, Ralph Lauren, Vince Camuto, Emporio Armani, etc. 

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

Yes I agree whenever I passed by it was always empty.  I’ve shopped in the past from Emporio but as it is not in my price range it’s hard to go often.  The only stores that have been in the neiman wing since it opened that are still there are Louis Vuitton and Burberry.  The others have been in and out, in and out.  RIP Hermès, Juicy Couture,  Billy Reid, BCBG, Ralph Lauren, Vince Camuto, Emporio Armani, etc. 

I think each of those stores opened and closed with the rise and fall of their respective "trends." More specifically Hermes, Juicy, BCBG, and even Ralph Lauren. It seems the mall and the company tried to capitalize on trend relevance, and some, like Juicy, just disappeared. Others, like RL, were misinterpreted as a harbinger for more luxury shopping, even though customers go gaga over the polo label, a $500 sweater is not the same. 

Again, I think SouthPark is best served as a place for accessories and business fashion retail. St. John, Burberry, Louis Vuitton do a great amount of business as places to buy accessories or items for more conservative office attire. I think Ferragamo, Zegna, and Chanel could see some cache here as solely those carry-only stores. But I doubt we will see Gucci or anything currently "trendy."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

I think each of those stores opened and closed with the rise and fall of their respective "trends." More specifically Hermes, Juicy, BCBG, and even Ralph Lauren. It seems the mall and the company tried to capitalize on trend relevance, and some, like Juicy, just disappeared. Others, like RL, were misinterpreted as a harbinger for more luxury shopping, even though customers go gaga over the polo label, a $500 sweater is not the same. 

Again, I think SouthPark is best served as a place for accessories and business fashion retail. St. John, Burberry, Louis Vuitton do a great amount of business as places to buy accessories or items for more conservative office attire. I think Ferragamo, Zegna, and Chanel could see some cache here as solely those carry-only stores. But I doubt we will see Gucci or anything currently "trendy."

As much as I dislike it, I can’t wrap my head around why and how we don’t have a Gucci yet.  The new money clientele of Neiman Marcus are obsessed with that brand.  And Charleston has had a store for years!  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

Yeah, there’s no reason Charlotte cannot support a Gucci store if Charleston can. Burberry was going to close it’s Charlotte location a few years ago, but I guess they’re still holding on. The tenants SouthPark has attracted in recent years are almost embarrassing when looking at the stores that do not have a location in Charlotte or the entire state of NC. 

Not to mention the lack of offerings NM has - for men especially. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Yeah, there’s no reason Charlotte cannot support a Gucci store if Charleston can. Burberry was going to close it’s Charlotte location a few years ago, but I guess they’re still holding on. The tenants SouthPark has attracted in recent years are almost embarrassing when looking at the stores that do not have a location in Charlotte or the entire state of NC. 

Not to mention the lack of offerings NM has - for men especially. 

Totally agree!  I have to go to Atlanta to find options.  I feel like SouthPark only caters to a certain style.  Either the very preppy basic white male, or the super flashy black male.  Very little in between.  We desperately need more European brands.  Can’t deal with these american designers; nothing fits right and everything is made in China.  

The new Tesla store seems to be an attraction. I’ve seen more people in it on my Snapchat than I ever seen anyone in Armani in person. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

The new Tesla store seems to be an attraction. I’ve seen more people in it on my Snapchat than I ever seen anyone in Armani in person. 

Armani is a fashion brand in transition, facing fierce competition and declining sales worldwide (down -7% Year-Over-Year). They have consolidated lately from 7 labels to just 3 and have been closing stores to cut costs. Their sales started going south around 2015 and they haven't been able to hit consistent growth since then. That closely lines up with when the consumer "experience" and technology status economy really took off. Many affluent people are putting their money in a Tesla or talk about their vacation to Brunei as status symbols these days, while wearing a t-shirt and jeans to show how "down to earth" they are. Compound that with technology being a significant source of wealth in the country now, and you have tech CEO's making billions up there in a t-shirt and jeans presenting their products, rather than wearing Armani suits. 

It doesn't surprise me that Tesla would be drawing big crowds. The brand is hot, a status symbol, and growing rapidly. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Armani is a fashion brand in transition, facing fierce competition and declining sales worldwide (down -7% Year-Over-Year). They have consolidated lately from 7 labels to just 3 and have been closing stores to cut costs. Their sales started going south around 2015 and they haven't been able to hit consistent growth since then. That closely lines up with when the consumer "experience" and technology status economy really took off. Many affluent people are putting their money in a Tesla or talk about their vacation to Brunei as status symbols these days, while wearing a t-shirt and jeans to show how "down to earth" they are. Compound that with technology being a significant source of wealth in the country now, and you have tech CEO's making billions up there in a t-shirt and jeans presenting their products, rather than wearing Armani suits. 

It doesn't surprise me that Tesla would be drawing big crowds. The brand is hot, a status symbol, and growing rapidly. 

I definitely think there is still a bigger demand for luxury clothing, Charlotte just lacks in that department so people are settling with what we can get here. 

The current state of clothing retail is irrelevant to the lack of offerings found in Charlotte vs other cities in its league and smaller.