SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

That would seem to make little sense to me.....if all Hecht's are becoming Macy's, then buying Belks wound be a tremendous overlap in most markets.....it would allow them to get some Macy's in some smaller towns, but is that really their target?

Who would buy the redundant stores if all the competition has been consolidated? Certainly not Dillards (who would be in those markets already as well), and I don't think Saks has any interest in holding mid-tier stores. Federated certainly wouldn't covert every Belk to a Bloomingdale if there was already a Hecht's present.....it just doesn't make sense to me.

Belk is doing well financially, and it just bought Saks' mid-market Southern department store chains, so it'd be a big company to swallow. What would the point be if Federated bought it, other than to eliminate a competitor, as now most every mall with a Belk's, except the ones in small towns, will also have a Federated store already as a co-anchor?

Barring a merger with Bon-Ton, Dillard's, or Boscov's, Belk isn't going anywhere. Federated doesn't do small towns, at least not the really small towns Belk locates in.

The only part of Belk that would be worthwhile is the top 10-20 or so stores, and most of them already compete with Federated. The only coup in catching Belk for Federated is easy access into Jacksonville, and that woudn't be worth it for the costs and hassles involved.

Never say never. Bon-Ton Acquires Sak's Northern Stores.

I do see Belk as a long-term player in the market. The family is well-capitalized. Federated has little interest in the smaller markets that Belk has stores in such as : Laurinburg, Rockingham, or other similar towns.

Belk has been making inroads into Texas prior to purchasing Proffitts and McRae's. They are opening stores in strip centers in the same fashion as Kolh's.

Never say never. Bon-Ton Acquires Sak's Northern Stores.

I do see Belk as a long-term player in the market. The family is well-capitalized. Federated has little interest in the smaller markets that Belk has stores in such as : Laurinburg, Rockingham, or other similar towns.

Belk has been making inroads into Texas prior to purchasing Proffitts and McRae's. They are opening stores in strip centers in the same fashion as Kolh's.

yeah - but - I said I can't see Belk, etc GETTING Acquired. I know they've Acquired stores themselves, like you mentioned Belk acquired Proffits, McRaes and of course Dillard's and Ivey's... I just don't see anyone taking over them.

Belk SouthPark would be the main store anybody would want of Belk's. I can't see them selling that under any normal circumstance.

Yeah, who wouldn't want the Flagship? Didn't the Belk family already settle the whole topic of their future a few months back? I thought I remembered them saying that they had no interest in selling any part of the chain?

What possessed Saks to create Club Libby Liu? Is it their baby or did they buy it from another company? Details anyone?

What possessed Saks to create Club Libby Liu? Is it their baby or did they buy it from another company? Details anyone?

At the time they bought it, the "tween" business was supposed to be the next new wave of retail, but the sales at Club Libby Liu haven't held up to the theories. I never see anyone in their SouthPark store.

I'm surprised that there isn't a Polo store in SouthPark. Ralph Lauren's style seems to fit in with Charlotte's style sense so well. Of course I believe Belk has a pretty large Polo offering in SP or maybe they are concerned with competing with both Burberry and Lacoste in this market. It just seems like of all the luxury retailers we have been seeing come on board this would have been a natural here.

I'm surprised that there isn't a Polo store in SouthPark. Ralph Lauren's style seems to fit in with Charlotte's style sense so well. Of course I believe Belk has a pretty large Polo offering in SP or maybe they are concerned with competing with both Burberry and Lacoste in this market. It just seems like of all the luxury retailers we have been seeing come on board this would have been a natural here.

I think Ralph Lauren will eventually open a store in Charlotte, but as you were saying, Belk SouthPark has a rather substantial Polo Ralph Lauren department, and Dillard's and Hecht's have big departments as well. Add to that Neiman Marcus, which typically carries Polo in its stores and you've got a critical mass of the merchandise at SouthPark already.

Then again, both Belk and Nordstrom SouthPark carry St. John Knits and Lacoste, and both compaines have boutiques at the mall.

Edited by StevenRocks

There's a Polo outlet in Concord though...

Barring a merger with Bon-Ton, Dillard's, or Boscov's, Belk isn't going anywhere. Federated doesn't do small towns, at least not the really small towns Belk locates in.

The only part of Belk that would be worthwhile is the top 10-20 or so stores, and most of them already compete with Federated. The only coup in catching Belk for Federated is easy access into Jacksonville, and that woudn't be worth it for the costs and hassles involved.

Well, they did buy Burdines, which for a while was located in some smaller towns. They closed the smaller stores. Federated does operate in some small markets. Macon, GA comes to mind... Federated is determined to be what Sears or JCPenny once were -- America's Dept. Store. Only they want to do so with slightly better merchandise. Are you a WWD archive subscriber? They've done some great articles on Federated over the last year. People don't believe me, but they are THE authority on retail news. They always know what's happening before any other publications.

As for Belk, I don't think their intentions are an issue. My point is Federated is a retail predator.

ETA: I read a while back that a Fila store is opening at SP. In the new wing? (I haven't seen it. Never shop there.) A Polo store nearby seems like a natural.

Edited by girly