SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

...My store is larger than the Belk @ Southpark...

There's some interesting information in that post, but the Belk at SouthPark is larger than the Bloomingdale's in Boca Raton. Belk-SP is 329,000 sq. ft. and Bloomingdale's-BR is 270,000 sq. ft.

Also, the Charlotte NM will be the second/third smallest store (tied with Austin's opening 2007), but it's not much smaller than most of the NM stores in Florida. Of course the Miami area has 5 stores that make up for their smaller size.

10 Smallest Neiman-Marcus stores:

San Diego, Fashion Valley Center - 106,000

Boston, Natick Mall - 100,000

Miami, Bal Harbour Shops - 97,000

Tampa, International Plaza - 96,000

Orlando, Mall at Millenia - 95,000

Ft. Lauderdale, Galleria Mall - 94,000

Denver, Cherry Creek Mall - 90,000

Austin, The Domain - 80,000

Charlotte, South Park Mall - 80,000

Palm Beach, Worth Avenue - 53,000

I think a retailer that would do well in the new Southpark wing near NM would be Ruehl (the new brand by A&F). It's geared more towards the 25-35 crowd. Plus Charlotte is apparently on their radar with a few other cities for openings this year. It wouldn't surprise me if they announced this retailer as part of the lineup for that wing.

There's some interesting information in that post, but the Belk at SouthPark is larger than the Bloomingdale's in Boca Raton. Belk-SP is 329,000 sq. ft. and Bloomingdale's-BR is 270,000 sq. ft.

Also, the Charlotte NM will be the second/third smallest store (tied with Austin's opening 2007), but it's not much smaller than most of the NM stores in Florida. Of course the Miami area has 5 stores that make up for their smaller size.

10 Smallest Neiman-Marcus stores:

San Diego, Fashion Valley Center - 106,000

Boston, Natick Mall - 100,000

Miami, Bal Harbour Shops - 97,000

Tampa, International Plaza - 96,000

Orlando, Mall at Millenia - 95,000

Ft. Lauderdale, Galleria Mall - 94,000

Denver, Cherry Creek Mall - 90,000

Austin, The Domain - 80,000

Charlotte, South Park Mall - 80,000

Palm Beach, Worth Avenue - 53,000

Out of curiousity, what are the 10 largest Neimans square footages?

Thank's guys!

Out of curiousity, what are the 10 largest Neimans square footages?

San Francisco, Union Square - 250,000 (expanding from 195,000)

Houston, Galleria - 224,000

Dallas, Northpark - 218,000

Chicago, Michigan Avenue - 188,000

Beverly Hills, Wilshire Blvd - 185,000

Honolulu, Ala Moana Center - 181,000

Las Vegas, Fashion Show - 174,000

Troy (Detroit), Somerset Collection - 157,000

Plano (Dallas), Willow Bend - 156,000

Atlanta, Lenox Square - 154,000

Here are the links to the PDFs where I go this information:

Neiman-Marcus (page 16/18): http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/...NMG_2004_AR.pdf

Federated (Macy's, Bloomingdale's) (starting page 41): http://www.federated-fds.com/ir/vote/2005_fact_book.pdf

May (starting page 7): http://www2.mayco.com/common/2004arp/2005_fb_full.pdf

Nordstrom (starting page 28/52): http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/93...662/2004_AR.pdf

I've never been able to find a list like this for Saks, Belk, or Dillards. If anyone knows where to find them let us know.

I figure Neiman Marcus SouthPark will be small in the same way that Nordstron SouthPark is small: because of more efficient layout and less stockrooms.

Charlotte's Nordstrom isn't really that small. 65 Nordstroms are larger, 38 are smaller, and 3 are the same size.

I think a retailer that would do well in the new Southpark wing near NM would be Ruehl (the new brand by A&F). It's geared more towards the 25-35 crowd. Plus Charlotte is apparently on their radar with a few other cities for openings this year. It wouldn't surprise me if they announced this retailer as part of the lineup for that wing.

This store would do well in SouthPark but I can't see it going into the NM wing. It simply isn't upscale enough to carry itself with the other tenants mentioned. I feel the same about Armani Exchange. It seems to me that Ruehl and AX would be better suited in one of the mall's other wings. Given both of their lower price points (as compared to other tenants mentioned or existing in the NM wing) they would likely be looking for larger spots than what that wing offers anyway. I think Louis Vuitton and Burburry have set the pace for that wing. I do think that Ruehl will eventually want to come, I just see it more aligned with Guess than Gucci.

Ruehl and A/X will probably both be at SouthPark soon. There are a handful of spaces in the mall outsid the NM wing that will likely turn over due to poor sales, lease expirations, or outmoded concepts.

Before anyone asks, I figure it'll be stuff like Express, Limited and American Eagle. Express is way too big for what they sell, Limited's outmoded, and American Eagle is a little out of character for SouthPark.

Edited by StevenRocks

I have a friend that works at the Limited at SouthPark... If your theory is correct, then oh no for her

It is kind of funny how the fashion industry changes so much. From the types of clothes to the brands. First it was Limited then Aeropostale then American Eagle now A&F and Hollister. I don't really see American eagle going out because there are some wealthy individuals who do wear the stuff but your prediction about Limited sounds so true.

Edited by Hotlanta

This store would do well in SouthPark but I can't see it going into the NM wing. It simply isn't upscale enough to carry itself with the other tenants mentioned. I feel the same about Armani Exchange. It seems to me that Ruehl and AX would be better suited in one of the mall's other wings. Given both of their lower price points (as compared to other tenants mentioned or existing in the NM wing) they would likely be looking for larger spots than what that wing offers anyway. I think Louis Vuitton and Burburry have set the pace for that wing. I do think that Ruehl will eventually want to come, I just see it more aligned with Guess than Gucci.

I disagree. I think A/X is upscale enough to be in the NM wing. Its prices are definately higher than Abercrombie, Hollister, AE, Urban Outfitters, etc. It was also mentioned before in one of The Business Journal's articles as a possible store. I highly doubt Charlotte is going to get an Armani store anytime soon, so this is going to have to be close enough. I agree with you about Ruehl - if it does come, it probably won't be in that wing.

Ruehl and A/X will probably both be at SouthPark soon. There are a handful of spaces in the mall outsid the NM wing that will likely turn over due to poor sales, lease expirations, or outmoded concepts.

Before anyone asks, I figure it'll be stuff like Express, Limited and American Eagle. Express is way too big for what they sell, Limited's outmoded, and American Eagle is a little out of character for SouthPark.

I agree that some of those other stores might close, but i dont agree with which ones you mentioned...Im thinking more on the lines of Fila, Oakley, Aerosoles, Crane & Co., Marmi..........what were they thinking with that Fila store.....it is so unimpressive......and Aerosoles? They carry those in every department store in SP, they are wasting rent money! They need to shuffle around a few places and build a Sisley connected with the United Colors of Benneton since they are the same company....Also I think Sephora needs to expand.....and they need to remodel GAP and make it resemble Northlake's gap......Personally I think Dick's is the store that doesn't fit into SP if you ask me, there are plenty of Sporting stores as it is, Foot Locker, Finish Line, Champs is enough....In a perfect world they would knock down Dick's and build a longer West Plaza filled with more boutiques! Jordano's is leaving SP, it was only a temporary store by the way, so that definately leaves an empty spot near the fountain.....we need a Discovery Channel Store....Raleigh, Wilmington, & Myrtle Beach have one, why not Charlotte? I think SP has way too many jewlery stores IMO....and they are hoggin up all the corner locations! :angry: I would just jump for joy if A/X, French Connection, & Sisley join the lineup.......they can shuffle around some stores, and move some out of the mall to the Village to make room for the Big Dogs....the stores that actually matter! lol jk.....Just my opinion!

Oh man, where do I start? :lol:

Dick's, Crane & Co, Aerosoles and Marmi are going to stay. Despite my impassioned pleas for Saks in that location, Dick's fills a needed niche in the mall, and they're going to keep it for the prestige factor even if it isn't profitable. That Crane stationery sells very well and Marmi and Aerosoles are big among middle-aged ladies. Mom drags me into at leat one of those stores with her every time we go to SouthPark :lol:

Fila and Oakley are a little more risky. I would call them experimental.

Sisley might eventually connect with United Colors of Benneton, but Benneton of late is looking a little peekid. I wouldn't be suprised if it closed.

Sephora is actually big enough for the market. if tyhey do anything, they'll open another store. And Gap is going to remodel soon, though it probably will only be remotely like Northlake's store.

Discovery Channel Store was briefly at SouthPark in the Oakley space. it did not do well. Anyway, if they didn't close it already, they're at Carolina Place still.

Jewelry stores? They're the lifeblood of the mall and they pay the highest rent. Other than Kay Jewelers and Helzberg Diamonds, which offer some more affordable choices than the rest and thus serve a purpose, I don't see much fat in the jewelry selection to cut.

A/X, French Connection & Sisley don't really grab me as must have stores either for SouthPark. All of them are aiming at a market of affluent young types that SouthPark doesn't reach becuase there aren't enough of them in the market that want to pay full price for those clothes. Of the three, you'll see A/X the quickest.

Edited by StevenRocks

Discovery channel doesnt exist in charlotte....not even at Carolina Place steven.....i just think Benneton needs to remodel......and IMO i think Charlotte has plenty of wealthy young professionals for those stores I mentioned.....FCUK is in the same price range as Guess.....they just seem to be more selective with their openings....and so does Sisley....A/X definately belongs in SP

Discovery was at Carolina Place, Temeteron. It was upstairs between JCPenney and the food court.

Benneton may need to remodel, but they haven't, which makes me concerned they're not interested in staying in the mall.

that mustve been a while back cuz i dont remember it, i just remember Disney store but not Discovery Channel store

that mustve been a while back cuz i dont remember it, i just remember Disney store but not Discovery Channel store
It's been within the last five years. Discovery Channel bought The Nature Company, which had stores in most of North Carolina's major malls, among others. Ther were stores at SouthPark and Carolina Place. It wouldn't suprise me if the Carolina Place store was gone; the one in Hanes Mall folded shortly after Discovery Channel took over.

It's been within the last five years. Discovery Channel bought The Nature Company, which had stores in most of North Carolina's major malls, among others. Ther were stores at SouthPark and Carolina Place. It wouldn't suprise me if the Carolina Place store was gone; the one in Hanes Mall folded shortly after Discovery Channel took over.

The Discovery Store in Winston lasted for about 3 to 3 years and was then replaced by a housing store then recently by a Maui Nix. I think a Maui Nix would do well with South Park and they would get alot of recognition for it because it would be one of the only malls in the nation to have one besides Florida and California.

At CP Natural Wonders or whatever it was was in near the food court. Discovery Channel Store was upstairs. Both have since closed. Discovery Channel Store at SP was in the spot Tiffany's vacated in SP for Christmas but it was a temporary store. The Science store that you mentioned StevenRocks was never a DCS to my knowledge.

If anyone is looking for something similar to those stores they should consider taking thier shopping dollars Uptown to the Discovery Place Store on Tryon, that way you support Uptown retail and a valuable museum in one swoop all while really having the same merchandise available. We should be happy that the Discovery Place store has no mall competition instead of hoping for out of town competition to move into a mall and take its (probably already small amount of) business away. Discovery Place's store is larger than most Discover Channel stores anyway.

http://www.discoveryplace.org/gen_giftshop.asp

Edited by appatone