SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Why the hate for Dick's? Do you guys just hate big box sporting goods stores or is it something about Dick's that particularly urks you?
I was going to make a really bad joke, but I decided not to :lol:

I've gotten used to Dick's SouthPark being there, but I still would have preferred something less ordinary.

Edited by StevenRocks

I was going to make a really bad joke, but I decided not to :lol:

I've gotten used to Dick's SouthPark being there, but I still would have preferred something less ordinary.

Sidebar please........

Anyway, I remember when Dick's replaced the Gaylans in Buckhead. The one in the Target/Publix/Filene's Basement "urban" shopping center on Peachtree Rd. I really liked it. I thought it was like a Sports Authority...only more upscale. Anyway, I was so pleased with the selection...I am a LA Fitness member so it's nice to have a place to buy your cutesey outfits. The help was very eager to actually help.

Well shortly after my visit, I was having some friends over and the topic of shopping came up. In my excitment to tell about my above average shopping experience, I exclaimed "I love Dick's." One of my friends looked at me and rolled her eyes saying..."and you wonder why you have so many children.

(I know better than to tell that story.)

It took me a few minutes and lots of laughs to explain that I was talking about the store. Having said that....thank you for making me remember that Steven...I will say that I don't know why people are so down on Dick's. Gaylan was slightly better however when the Dick's took over their space, the did very little to the decor. I have found many great deals as far as sneakers and workout wear. When it comes to canoeing, cross country running and hiking I don't know. I do neither of those activities.

Anyway, I remember when Dick's replaced the Gaylans in Buckhead. The one in the Target/Publix/Filene's Basement "urban" shopping center on Peachtree Rd. I really liked it.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...=1&scene=974090

Reall cool birds eye view of that center.

I cannot wait until Birds Eye comes to Charlotte. How cool would it be to see SouthPark with Birds Eye.

So I assume you work for or are "in the know" for Dick's^

I do work PT at one of the Charlotte area store.

A lot of my distaste for Dick's has to do with the cheap merchandise/lack of quality sporting goods and even if they offered quality merchandise they would likely lack the expertise to effectively help a custumor who knows little about the product.

Some employees do know what they are talking about, sadly though, they are few and far between.

According to the Triangle Business Journal, Bombay Co. will be closing 35-40 stores as a result of a bad quarter. Bombay states that it is trying to improve the company's poor performance, and is trying to move mall stores out and bring in free standing structures outside of malls. it is uncertain whether the one at Southpark, or any other NC location will close, but if it does, will there be significant space created? is the store big in size?

It took me a few minutes and lots of laughs to explain that I was talking about the store. Having said that....thank you for making me remember that Steven...I will say that I don't know why people are so down on Dick's. Gaylan was slightly better however when the Dick's took over their space, the did very little to the decor. I have found many great deals as far as sneakers and workout wear. When it comes to canoeing, cross country running and hiking I don't know. I do neither of those activities.
You're welcome, Lady Celeste. That's a funny story :)

I guess you can sum up Dick's by going into the SouthPark store. As a Galyan's, it was to have a climbing section, hence the climbing wall in the store. Dick's doesn't do sports like that, so the wall ends up being a "decoration" for kiddies. REI belongs at SP, Dick's belongs at Carolina Place.
Dick's SouthPark reminds me of the time that Montgomery Ward took over a couple of Miller & Rhoads stores in my neck of the woods in the early '90s. They didn't change the interior but slapped their own fixturing, signage, and merchandise into the space. The effect was somewhat underwhelming. kind of like a temporary store.

Dick's is a good retailer and I appreciate the diversity it adds to SouthPark's merchandise mix. That said, it feels a little odd because its a midscale store wedged into an upscale space and I'm not realy thrilled with it being there. Like I said earlier though, I've made peace with it and really could care less if it stays or goes at this point. There are good arguments for both sides.

The Hecht's wing is kind of a letdown, too- nice, but nice as in a nice mid-market mall- the stores are teenager and mid-priced stores. That, combined with Dick's, keeps SouthPark a notch below Lenox Square.

I agree, I feel that when the food court moved, they added way too many "run of the mill/teenage stores" in that wing

For the NM wing- NM is consistently surrounded by Hermes, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Chanel, Tiffany, Cartier, etc. in seemingly every mall where it is an anchor- I'd guess that the SouthPark NM wing will be a smaller-scale version of the NM wing at Lenox Square.

Town & Country Mall and downtown Dallas, sorry to say, did not show the NM effect of attracting complementary upscale retailers.

I agree, I feel that when the food court moved, they added way too many "run of the mill/teenage stores" in that wing
The leasing market was pretty rough when those deals were being made. I'd imagine just about everything near Hecht's and towards Dick's has a short lease :) Stay tuned.

And I was thinking that Parisian would be great for a Charlotte mall such as SouthPark since it's a moderately upscale department store, very similar to Lord & Taylor, but has more traditional-looking clothes than Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. At SouthPark we now will have mid-market store brands (Dillard's and now Macy's, although the Belk is certainly a pretty upscale store) with more traditional-looking clothes and then Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus, both high-end to very high-end and with more edgy styles. Parisian would be a perfect fit in the middle between Dillard's/Macy's and Neiman Marcus/Nordstrom.

I don't want to see a Parisian at SouthPark personally. The niche between mid-market and high-end is too narrow to tie up that kind of square footage for a department store like Parisian or Lord & Taylor.

what else could come? Saks is out of the picture for now, and none of the other regional department stores in the US are located in the Southeast.

I LOVE Parisian- and can't figure out why L&T is dying out while Parisian seems to be doing OK; both stores seem to have very similar merchandise and price points.