SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

what else could come? Saks is out of the picture for now, and none of the other regional department stores in the US are located in the Southeast.

I LOVE Parisian- and can't figure out why L&T is dying out while Parisian seems to be doing OK; both stores seem to have very similar merchandise and price points.

Well, for one thing, Barneys New York or Mark Shale could come to SouthPark. Barneys is in expansion mode right now, and there's a thread on here about a possible Mark Shale in Charlotte. Not to mention Saks isn't totally out of the picture yet.

I get circulars for Parisian all the time and I'm not bowled over. They don't really operate that differently than Belk or Dillard's and their merchandise is nice but a little pedestrian. I have not had the pleasure of visiting a Parisian store in person, but it's not real high on my priority list either.

Adding anchors, as you know, is a very expensive and intrusive operation at a mall. The anchor has to count if it's worth turning dirt and disrupting things. While I'm sure that Parisian and/or Lord & Taylor would make good tenants at SouthPark, the mall already has 5 anchor department stores that cover the spectrum of shoppers. Number six has to be a little more special than Parisian to make it worthwhile, I think.

Well, they said Bombay is planning on closing 35 stores.........is the SP store doing well? I really dont see any of those stores closing anytime soon in the Hecht's wing.....maybe Sharon Luggage or something....everything else is too 'new' to close....not to jinx anything.

I could see a Barney's coming but it would probably, in my view, be a small Barney's Co-op like at Phipps Plaza or at best one like the one coming to NorthPark in Dallas. Anyhow, Barney's is kind of like a Neiman Marcus- and I hate shopping there (at least at the main one in NYC on Madison in the 60s)- so many of the shirts and ties are behind counters, like at a jewelry store, and it's a pain to deal with the attitude and the counters.

Saks has just closed a bunch of stores- I'd guess that Charlotte is still on the chain's radar screen, but perhaps in the longer term?

Mark Shale would be great but isn't it a junior anchor?

I still think Parisian would fit geographically with Charlotte, since there are Parisians in South Carolina and Tennessee; I'm just surprised the chain hasn't moved in already. A typical Parisian is definitely a step up from a typical Belk or Dillard's. I'd highly recommend at least the one at Phipps Plaza, although even typical ones like the one at Citadel Mall in Charleston are still pretty good. I like the store because the merchandise is nice, although kind of like Harold's- kind of classic but nice and stylish, but not too edgy or urban like the downtown Bloomingdale's in NYC (which I avoid). Kenneth Cole, BCBG, Silverstone, Taylor Byrd, Hart Schaffner & Marx are everywhere at a Parisian.

Edited by mallguy

Barneys would definitely open a Co-Op before a flagship store. The current flagship openings are Boston and Dallas. Future openings are for San Diego, Miami, Washington state (Seattle metro???), Atlanta and Chicago metro through 2008. Any other expansions will happen after that, so Charlotte is a possibility. However, I see a Co-Op in the immediate future rather than a flagship. Honestly, a flagship at SP is probably asking too much. There isn't much space left these days. SP is on the small side for "upscale" malls. Of course, who knows what the future holds? Any of the current anchors could close and leave room for a store like Barneys.

Saks is too busy trying to stay in business to expand. First they remodeled the stores. Now they're focusing on changing the merchandise mix. I can't remember the exact figures, but it's going to be costly for them.

As for the NM wing... What other shops could open there? We've got Hermes opening there. What else? There's space for 4 or 5 stores, correct?

Barneys would definitely open a Co-Op before a flagship store. The current flagship openings are Boston and Dallas. Future openings are for San Diego, Miami, Washington state (Seattle metro???), Atlanta and Chicago metro through 2008.

Charbonviv........you are packed full of retail information. I just love it.

As far as the Nieman's hall....with Hermes, I think the St John, Tiffany & Co, Louis Vuitton and Brooks Bro should move to that hall. I'm sure the spots vacated by the stores already there could easily be filled with other stores new to or expanding in the market.

Barneys would definitely open a Co-Op before a flagship store. The current flagship openings are Boston and Dallas. Future openings are for San Diego, Miami, Washington state (Seattle metro???), Atlanta and Chicago metro through 2008. Any other expansions will happen after that, so Charlotte is a possibility. However, I see a Co-Op in the immediate future rather than a flagship. Honestly, a flagship at SP is probably asking too much. There isn't much space left these days. SP is on the small side for "upscale" malls. Of course, who knows what the future holds? Any of the current anchors could close and leave room for a store like Barneys.

Saks is too busy trying to stay in business to expand. First they remodeled the stores. Now they're focusing on changing the merchandise mix. I can't remember the exact figures, but it's going to be costly for them.

As for the NM wing... What other shops could open there? We've got Hermes opening there. What else? There's space for 4 or 5 stores, correct?

I'm just guessing but I think we could see Gucci, Hugo Boss, A/X, BCBG, Jimmy Choo, Diesel, David Yurman, Cartier, and/or Club Monaco. I think stores like Prada, Dior, and Chanel may be a stretch, but who knows.

Edited by nyxmike

I'm confused. There's already a Barney's on Fifth Ave in downtown Seattle. They're building a new one?

Charbonviv........you are packed full of retail information. I just love it.

As far as the Nieman's hall....with Hermes, I think the St John, Tiffany & Co, Louis Vuitton and Brooks Bro should move to that hall. I'm sure the spots vacated by the stores already there could easily be filled with other stores new to or expanding in the market.

Lady, St John and Tiffany are already in the "upscale" wing of SP. They are at the confluence of the Nordstrom/Belk/Neimans wings. Tiffany on one corner, St John on one corner, Lacoste on one corner, and Burberry on on corner.

From what I hear from my SP connex, Cartier is close to announcing that they will open adjacent to Neimans.

Anyone think that Ralph Lauren could do well with a store here? I always thought this would be a good market for them since we're such a buttoned-down city.

Lady, St John and Tiffany are already in the "upscale" wing of SP. They are at the confluence of the Nordstrom/Belk/Neimans wings. Tiffany on one corner, St John on one corner, Lacoste on one corner, and Burberry on on corner.

From what I hear from my SP connex, Cartier is close to announcing that they will open adjacent to Neimans.

Anyone think that Ralph Lauren could do well with a store here? I always thought this would be a good market for them since we're such a buttoned-down city.

Ohhhhhhhhh okay. I had to go check a map of the mall. Bear with me guys because I have to get my bearings as to where and how the mall is situated. So NM will be "next" to Nordstrom correct? There appears to be a hallway leading from the Belk and Dillard's hall....where the A and D sections are. Is that a spot for a future anchor?

788SouthPark_MallMall.gif

I was looking at local live last night and saw the new birds eye of King of Prussia mall in PA. Now thats a pretty big mall, but I like the way they expanded. You can tell, as they have a big walkway across the parking lot to the new section were Macys and stuff is. I doubt SouthPark would and a second floor, but even with that expansion idea I don't see anywere they could expand out. Unless they build a mid rise with office space and some more retailers. Just a thought.

Ohhhhhhhhh okay. I had to go check a map of the mall. Bear with me guys because I have to get my bearings as to where and how the mall is situated. So NM will be "next" to Nordstrom correct? There appears to be a hallway leading from the Belk and Dillard's hall....where the A and D sections are. Is that a spot for a future anchor?

To put into perspective, here is SouthPark Mall's floorplan before the expansion:

southparkpr4lk.jpg

I was looking at local live last night and saw the new birds eye of King of Prussia mall in PA. Now thats a pretty big mall, but I like the way they expanded. You can tell, as they have a big walkway across the parking lot to the new section were Macys and stuff is. I doubt SouthPark would and a second floor, but even with that expansion idea I don't see anywere they could expand out. Unless they build a mid rise with office space and some more retailers. Just a thought.

If southpark was *really* keen on expanding, they could get crazy and not only add a second floor (which would add upper-level enterances to Belk and Dillard's) BUT they could convert the underground parking garage into a third floor as well. And then build a parking deck around Dick's and Hecht's to make up for the lost parking space.

Edited by cantnot

What is the square footage of the Dick's? Does it look out to a main street? The space between the Dick's and the actual mall, what is that like? I ask these questions because on paper that looks like a nice location for Bloomingdales. Just reconfigure the Dick's space a little.

210879338poZReU_ph.jpg

There is a little space between Dick's and the main mall building. It's not big enough for a main street though

210879369PSJZws_ph.jpg

On one angle there's the food court as well.

210879349DcYqnm_ph.jpg

Inside the Dick's Sporting Goods store. It is around 86,000 square feet I believe.

p10100420bp.jpg

The other side of Dick's where you can see Morton's steakhouse. There is a parking lot on this side.

151955181QpmWdq_ph.jpg

Dick's while under construction.

Not to nitpick, but Lacoste is actually down the hall a bit towards Nordstrom. The other corner is Louis Vuitton.

Cartier? :thumbsup:

I think Ralph Lauren would be a good fit for SouthPark,too. It would go well just about anywhere in the mall.

I still say close St. John and open a Gucci store in its spot.
:shok: There would be a lot of rich, angry women if that happens. SouthPark has to carry clothes that are for a St. John crowd. They made the mall what it is.

A bunch of those people were eating behind a black curtain last night at the Tiffany & Co. customer appreciation party. Sadly, my recent purchase of Tiffany jewelry cleaner rendered me univited. :lol:

By the way, the desecration of Dillard's is well underway. The barricades are up and the last vestiges of Ivey's are being dismantled.

:shok: There would be a lot of rich, angry women if that happens. SouthPark has to carry clothes that are for a St. John crowd. They made the mall what it is.

LOL.......I am so glad you posted to this comment Stevie. The St John crowd will probably spend more than the "youth" going to gawk at Gucci....and wind up buying a belt just to have a carrier from Gucci. SouthPark is the St John set more so than Gucci. To remove St John for Gucci would be a big mistake. From the little I know of the area around SouthPark, there would be an uproar.

I would rather there be a Gucci boutique in Uptown before they remove St John.

I love St John if you have not noticed...and I'm under 40.

LOL.......I am so glad you posted to this comment Stevie. The St John crowd will probably spend more than the "youth" going to gawk at Gucci....and wind up buying a belt just to have a carrier from Gucci. SouthPark is the St John set more so than Gucci. To remove St John for Gucci would be a big mistake. From the little I know of the area around SouthPark, there would be an uproar.

I would rather there be a Gucci boutique in Uptown before they remove St John.

I love St John if you have not noticed...and I'm under 40.

Ok, how 'bout they just move St. John somewhere else and let Gucci have that spot. I don't care if it makes sense or not, I just want Gucci next door to me.

^ You have good taste, Lady Celeste :)

St. John has a huge store at SouthPark and sizable in-store shops at Belk and Nordstrom because s Charlotte is one of St. John's top markets nationwide. Out of all the designer boutiques in town, it's the closest you're going to find to an "A" merchandise presentation.