SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Just thought I would let you guys know that despite the stores signs the Galyan's at SouthPark has just officially become a Dick's Sporting Goods. The SouthPark store is the first Galyan's in the chain to be changed over. Look for the signs to be changed soon. The store will grand open as a Dick's Sporting Goods in a couple of months. The store interior is currently under renovation from the Galyan's style to the Dick's double decker store style.

They have a huge two story one near the outdoor portion of Triangle Town Center in Raleigh. Its supposedly one of the largest in the whole chain.

I think Southpark got tricked into thinking it had signed a unique retailer. Out with Sears, in with Dicks.

• 2 months later...

***IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE PICS****

http://community.webshots.com/user/outisthrough

I'll try to fix it this weekend and upload them all to a dedicated server. not all the pics are on that webshots page. Sorry about the trouble.

152028291LwmXOn_th.jpg

give the pics a few minutes to load

-SouthPark-

152028284PRbhOW_ph.jpg

SEARS R.I.P.

152028122qmXkUD_ph.jpg

New main entry at 4400 Sharon Rd

147519168EJZaZL_ph.jpg

Belk - Fairview Road Enterance (new)

152028144gjbuHX_ph.jpg

Belk - Fairview Road Enterance (old)

152028101GHHbje_ph.jpg

Belk - Enterance on side leading into parking garage (now where new Belk to Neiman/Nordstrom wing is)

147519189RwbcsT_ph.jpg

Belk's underground parking garage enterance

152028111KYLXvQ_ph.jpg

Hecht's front enterance (old) (originally Thalhaimer's)

151955260TaADHh_ph.jpg

Hecht's front enterance (new)

147519356SLYROE_ph.jpg

Underground Hecht's Enterance

147519282dPhvMN_ph.jpg

Inside Hecht's Entry

152028198YlOEHp_ph.jpg

Dillard's - not changed since 1970 - originally Ivey's department store flagship.

147519208LZEIvV_ph.jpg

Dillard's enterance from the underground deck

151956960Ipdxcs_ph.jpg

Dillard's most beautiful facade

151957162EnpTPL_ph.jpg

Cheesecake the Beautiful

151957228gFwwcZ_ph.jpg

Nordstrom's Entry facing lower Belk deck

147519325EcYUQU_ph.jpg

Nordstrom's Fairview Entrance

147519302CzHWNU_ph.jpg

Nordstrom wing

151955080ESfDXH_ph.jpg

Galyan's (now Dick's) being built

147519256ePVpVc_ph.jpg

New SouthPark food court

151955066zzvfOt_ph.jpg

Outside the new food court

ENJOY!

Edited by cantnot

The reason Galyan's opened as a Dick's Sporting Goods is b/c Dick's acquired Galyan's - ALL stores - so eventually all Galyan's will become Dick's... be it upscale as they are, not like regular Dick's stores. The new Dick's at SouthPark is quite nice nonetheless. And yes, Needless Markups (i mean Neiman Marcus) will be joining SouthPark in Fall 2006.

Yeah, all Galyan's was bought by Dick's. Charlotte's was the first to be changed over since it was still under construction during the sale. There is another changing over in Ohio right now. I believe the other Galyans will start to change over in January or February. Believe me, Dick's will rip all of the cool right out of them like they did in Charlotte. 99% of the good merchandise is no longer carried and the decor is scaled back eliminating any flash like plasma screen TV's. I beleive this store time in SouthPark is limited.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I remember when SouthPark had that original white brick facade. Personally, even though many people see it as dated, I loved the way Belk and Sears' white brick facade architecture was, and how Belk had those chandaliers and the windows on their storefront. Dillard's is now the only store that has retained its facade, but i'm sure will give into the pressure to remodel their store soon. I also liked Hecht's facade even though it was different, i like how it curved out.

I remember when SouthPark had Woolworth's, Morrison's Cafeteria and Barclay's... frequented often by my and my family in those days. :) Will be missed so...

And remember the convience center? With the Cinemas 3 and the Harris-Teeter?

And yeah, it doesn't seem like Gucci, Chanel and Armani stores are going to be at SouthPark... unless they make more room somehow. Possiblity though is wherever Saks ends up, Midtown or Elizabeth, these stores could be there too!

Edited by cantnot

• 2 months later...

On February 12, 1970, SouthPark mall in Charlotte opened its doors to shoppers for the first time.

Original anchors were Belk, Ivey's, Sears and Woolworth's

That first day, about 92,000 people showed up to explore all the new stores.

The first year of business was good for the new mall, but it lead to a 25 percent drop in sales for downtown stores, as the city's retail focus continued to move toward the suburbs.

My image hosting isn't as reliable as it needs to be, so click on the links adjacent to where the pictures should be:

belksouthpark.jpgBelk SouthPark 'back in the day'

belksouthpark_new.jpgBelk SouthPark today

Edited by StevenRocks
  • Like 1

Now THAT'S a great picture. Hard to imagine SouthPark with that much open space.

You know, it's a given that people who throw off on the mall bandy about the term 'bland white box' to describe it, but really, the design was state of the art; reminicient of NorthPark in Dallas. I think the designer at SouthPark was Jean Surratt, who also did a lot of the '70s and '80s Belk stores throughout the South.

I'm a big fan of the Belk and Ivey's designs. The setbacks are awesome! And don't get me started on Belk's chandeliers :) It held up pretty well until the renovation. Design longevity is not something that could be said about some old malls out there (cough, Carolina Circle, cough) but it can for there.

There's a great picture from an Ivey's 75th anniversary booklet that I should have scanned when I had access to it back in the Virginia Tech library. It showed a mother and child in very mod clothes (with even groovier shopping bags) getting into a helicopter approximately where Hecht's is now. Classic.

Steven - Thats funny that you mention Jean Surratt, he's my great uncle!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) That's good to know, 49er. Appreciation of your great uncle's work helped inspire me to become an architect!

I love the original SouthPark design (as well as the new one) and I like a lot of the stores your great uncle did for Belk. Like this one in your neck of the woods:

Hudson%20Belk%20Crabtree%201.jpg Hudson Belk, Crabtree Valley Mall

If the graphic doesn't show up go to this link

I like that portico a lot. The powers that be at Crabtree decided to connect the parking decks and put that monstronsity in front of it.

• Like 1