SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Has anybody heard anything new about the Dillard's at Southpark? I remember reading in the Observer last year that they were thinking about a parking deck and 40,000 square foot expansion as part of a total remodel and that the specifics were being worked out with the mall owners. There was also something about making it more attractive from Morrison boulevard by putting in windows.

The deck appears to be under construction, but I went through the store the other day and nothing was happening. They need to do something - it really looks awful compared to the other department stores at that mall.

I'm anxious to see what the updated Dillard's will look like.  I really love the old exterior and certain parts of the '80s remodel inside.  I realize the need for expanison and change (especially inside) but don't want to se it turned into another generic store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be sick if they turned it into another generic Dillard's. If they were to do that, I'd prefer they not remodel it at all.

^ugh....I had to listen some dredlocked hair girl go on a 20 minute diatribe recently about how SouthPark has lost its identity due to the closing of Woolworths...... I say they have this new place for her....it's called Wal-Mart, she'll love it. All the low-cost crap you could ever hope to buy and horde away sold by 40 year old making minimum wage who would rather stab you in the eye than say "have a nice day".

^ugh....I had to listen some dredlocked hair girl go on a 20 minute diatribe recently about how SouthPark has lost its identity due to the closing of Woolworths......  I say they have this new place for her....it's called Wal-Mart, she'll love it.

Haha - that is priceless. Oh for shame Charlotte - the true soul of South Park Mall has been lost! ;)

But I do miss the convinience of Woolworths though (downtown Atlanta & downtown Rock Hill). But in another decade we'll be lamenting the loss of Sears...

Well I do miss Sears and I can remember Woolworth's... I grew up with those stores bing at SouthPark though so it's more sentimental. I remember we'd park in the underground all the time and ride the escalator up and Woolworth's would be right there. Times, however, have changed...

I agree with cantnot. Everything about retail is in a continuum. SouthPark is typical of this. If Woolworth's and Sears still made sense at that location, they'd still be there. But they don't. The real estate is more valuable than than what those stores were willing to pay for it, and high-end stores are willing to ante up more for the space. That's not "losing the soul of the mall." That's just business.

It would be nice to freeze SouthPark, or Uptown, or what have you, in time to relive our favorite memories. I for one would love to have the Belk facade with the chandeliers back, and the Barclay, and Ivey's, Thalhimers, The Intimate Bokshop, and so many other things. But I love Nordstrom and Neiman-Marcus and Toll House and so much about the new SouthPark that I think it's a decent trade-off.

• 3 weeks later...

map.gif

I found that in the archives hehe

Interesting that Eastland and Carolina Place are also on the map.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At one point Eastland, SouthPark and Carolina Place were fairly friendly competitors in somwhat equal demographic areas. Of course, at the time, Belk still owned half of SouthPark and Carolina Place and Eastland was owned by Henry Faison's company. Now it's three out of town developers and dramtically different demographics. Oh well...

By the way, McCormick & Schmick

Edited by StevenRocks

Is SouthPark Overbooked?

For many book lovers, the rise and fall of bookstores in their community makes for an absorbing drama. Today, in Charlotte, the plot thickens.

At 9 a.m., Joseph-Beth Booksellers is to open a 29,000 square-foot store at SouthPark mall, around the corner from a Borders bookstore, across the street from a Barnes & Noble and a fairly short drive from Park Road Books, the Media Play on South Boulevard and a new Books-A-Million at Cotswold Village Shops shopping center.

sometime a few months ago we had a whole discussion about how all the bookstores in charlotte seem to be within a few miles of southpark mall. It is a bad sign... are they the only people that read books, or just the only people that pay for books?