SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I used to really love the A&F, American Eagle, Gap, Express (although was Structure at the time) stores but seems like once I hit a certain point probably in the latter half of my 20's (in 4 months I turn the big 3-0) I've switched over more to Target and Kohls type stores. I'm thinking maybe I've shifted out of the above mall stores demographics? I must admit though that on my occasional visits to a mall I'll walk by A&F and hear the techno blasting out of the store and it takes me back about 10 years for a moment :-p

I've had my retail moment with all the major mall specialty stores, but I've always been more of a department store person. The under 40 crowd generally sees department stores as places our parents shop, but there is a lot of fashion at reasonable prices to be found in most of them. SouthPark, for example, has a lot of good department store merchandise (at Belk, Dillard's, Macy's, Nordstrom) for Target/Kohl's prices with better materials and fits.

Edited by StevenRocks

I too have moved more into the department store scene. I enjoy shopping at Kohl's and Target. I even like the new JCPenney stores that are huge one level free standing department stores rather than the traditional two level mall anchor stores. Now if I want some type of snazzy accessory, I can still go to the upscale or luxury stores for that, but I just can't see paying $800 dollars for a sweater from Gucci. I mean if I buy one at Kohl's, who is going to know the difference unless they pull back the sweater I'm wearing to see what the label says. In a case like that, I would not be very happy with that individual.:angry:

The ugly truth behind designer apparel is that while couture is still a recognizable measure of quality, it is a very small part of what gets sold in the marketplace. Most of the ready to wear designer items are made by the same contract factories that churn out lower end merchandise. Fabric quality and overall design are reasons to trade up, but most consumers are swept away in the marketing and aren't savvy on what truly makes better fabric and construction. Smart shoppers consider the full spectrum of brands and retail outlets and discover when trading up or down makes sense.

Edited by StevenRocks

I too have moved more into the department store scene. I enjoy shopping at Kohl's and Target. I even like the new JCPenney stores that are huge one level free standing department stores rather than the traditional two level mall anchor stores. Now if I want some type of snazzy accessory, I can still go to the upscale or luxury stores for that, but I just can't see paying $800 dollars for a sweater from Gucci. I mean if I buy one at Kohl's, who is going to know the difference unless they pull back the sweater I'm wearing to see what the label says. In a case like that, I would not be very happy with that individual.:angry:

What I most miss from NYC is Century 21! Now that is a department store!

That's a shame. Though, bookstores are going by the way side much like Blockbusters and Record stores are. Amazon.com and like are making these places outdated. I enjoy bookstores, but the only time I ever go to one is when I'm at the airport waiting on a flight.

Edited by dbull75

Now that Joseph-Beth Booksellers has announced it's closing. This could be a great location for H&M to snatch that space.

I did see a post on the O website that reiterated what what said here - that the Container Store was going to be moving in where JB used to be. Not sure about the credibility, though.

I did see a post on the O website that reiterated what what said here - that the Container Store was going to be moving in where JB used to be. Not sure about the credibility, though.

There's another story in the CLT Bizjournals that all but confirms the Container store is going in to the old JH spot: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2010/11/05/closing-the-book.html

To be honest JB in particular, but Borders as well, really provided limited variety in books. Most of what JB & Borders carried were things that could be found anywhere: best sellers, memoirs written by politicians, a few magazines, and the classics. B&N simply has a more robust selection of not only literature but also harder to find material like philosophy. Lamenting the loss of JB & Borders is like dreading the loss of Burger King b/c all we'll have left is McDonald's. I'm kind of glad to see these stores go, because it will create room (if we're REALLY lucky) for a niche store like one pedaling used books or graphic novels. The literary version of a local cafe, if you will. Although, I have to admit JB did have some really good coffee table books.

^Haha!

I live about a mile away from Crabtree and pass by the Container Store every day on my way to/from work and I still haven't visted to it. I mean I know the store has got to be more then just tupperware containers and plastic tubs but the store name doesn't exactly draw you in. I noticed that store was packed shortly after it's grand opening but it doesn't seem very busy now that it's been open a few weeks.

Edited by NCMike1981

I have been twice since it opened in Raleigh. The store is pretty interesting in what it carries. You would think it just sells containers, but it is an organization paradise. Cool features include a bubble wrap wall where you pull your own bubble wrap and the coat hanger wall. While it sounds thrilling (sarcasm), it is actually quite intriguing. I went with my girlfriend hoping to stay 15 min, left after an hour. It's a good fit for the area.