SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Charlotte has been hit extremely hard with retail and restaurant closings so far this year. There is always usually some after the new year but it's scary this year.

I would argue that Charlotte has not been hit hard this year. Restaurants are ALWAYS going to come and go. That's the nature of that business. Have you paid attention to the number of new restaurants that have opened or will be opening? There have been a lot. Many of those are taking places of former restaurants or an owner trying a new concept. I was at South Park just last weekend and could count on one hand the number of unused retail spots at that mall. Nothing is scary. Then again, a Kenneth Cole store isn't much of a deal to me.

Edited by dbull75

Wow! Charlotte has been hit extremely hard with retail and restaurant closings so far this year. There is always usually some after the new year but it's scary this year.

I'm going to second dbull here that Charlotte has fared well considering the economy. Also noted that you made a similar point in the restaurant closing thread which I countered btw (and as far as restaurants - I think Charlotte is opening more places than closing).

Southpark seems to me to be doing just fine and if I remember correctly the article I posted a a week or so ago in the Northlake mall thread, all Charlotte area malls are all above 90% occupancy - so I'm not too certain where you getting this feeling that Charlotte in particular has been hit extremely hard.

Agreed- I am surprised that the luxury wing of SouthPark had zero vacancies, from what I could tell. (Is the Bob Ellis replacement a "filler" store though?)

With the Christmas store as a filler for Carlyle & Co. and Brooks Bros. closing, though, that leaves 2 gaps. Do we know what will take their places? Shouldn't be hard to lease.

Why did Billy Reid close?

Gilly Hicks? It would be nice to get one in Charlotte. It's actually cheaper than Victoria's Secret, but it would fit better with the upscale stores since it's has a more extravagant and upscale atmosphere, and it's more exclusive. But I'm sure that Lenox would get one first, they're definitely overdue for one. SouthPark really doesn't have the space anyway, the only store that is large enough is Brooks Brothers and it's not in a good enough location.

• 2 weeks later...

H&M will come to Charlotte eventually...the article DigitalSky posted stated that the Raleigh location is performing beyond expectations so I can't imagine as Charlotte (and even the Triad) have such large populations and are a decent distance away from Raleigh that H&M wouldn't eventually expand within NC. I doubt an announcement will be made in 2011 but I imagine H&M will open another NC location over the next few years....especially considering they seem to be in expansion mode. What they need to be careful of is not expanding to the point where they dilute their image (like Lord & Taylor did a few years back) and become like Old Navy or similar.

Edited by NCMike1981

I though the retail scene in CHarlotte was changing and becoming less conservative and boring but I guess I was wrong.....I was in Nordstrom yesterday and one of the associates there was telling me that Vineyard Vines will be going in the former Bob Ellis spot. Excuse me while I throw up. :sick:

The store in Bob Ellis old spot is a placeholder. The permanent replacement stores for the Bob Ellis, Kenneth Cole, Brooks Brothers and Carlyle & Co. spaces should be good, as all four spots are well-located.

What is a "Place Holder", and what is the difference in that and a "Filler?"

Charlotte has really done well in retail choices over the last five years or so, and I think it will continue to attract the latest in upscale trendy boutiques as well as high end luxury boutiques.

Edited by Kenneth Disraili

AKIA has probably been used for H&Ms market research since both are Swedish.

They are both large international companies run by as sophisticated management as any large international company, and they sell different products. Does Lowe's use the same market research as Bank of America, since they are both based in North Carolina?

They are both large international companies run by as sophisticated management as any large international company, and they sell different products. Does Lowe's use the same market research as Bank of America, since they are both based in North Carolina?

True, however, IKEA's market research is going to be much more consistent with IKEA's than that of Bank of America and Lowe's.

Not meaning to change the H&M topic, but I have a question. Now I know that Wikipedia can be very unreliable as a source for info. on certain topics, but anyway it is listing Salvatore Ferragamo and Anne Fontaine as coming to South Park. Is there any truth in this, has anyone heard anything about it, or is it just more info in the "rumor mill?"