SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

To me, Southpark appears to be gaining traction as a high end destination. When my family moved to NC in 1999, it didn't quite have the aura it now has. It made a major expansion recently, didn't it? We have never been, but I think the time may be coming to go visit. I would like to see it be able to compete with Phipps Plaza. What stores are in SouthPark? Does it have Bombay Co., or Gucci or A/X yet?

I'm sure SouthPark is on it's way up, but they better watch the competition. It COULD be overtaken by another one if they let it slip in the slightest way. In Atlanta, Lenox Square used to be the ruler, but it pales in comparison to Phipps Plaza. Phipps has the high end boutiques, while Lenox has the mid level department stores. At least that's what Atlantans have said about them. Of course, as Charlotte grows, another luxury mall will surely come. But maybe SouthPark can hold its status.

I'm sure SouthPark is on it's way up, but they better watch the competition. It COULD be overtaken by another one if they let it slip in the slightest way. In Atlanta, Lenox Square used to be the ruler, but it pales in comparison to Phipps Plaza. Phipps has the high end boutiques, while Lenox has the mid level department stores. At least that's what Atlantans have said about them. Of course, as Charlotte grows, another luxury mall will surely come. But maybe SouthPark can hold its status.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but the funny thing about these 2 is, they're friggin' across the street from eachother :lol:

poor Steven.. I'm glad you got that camera phone though, eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You bet. It was an extremely good idea to get one for stuff like that. ;)

but the funny thing about these 2 is, they're friggin' across the street from eachother  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're also owned by the same ompany, Simon Property Group. Lenox Square is positioned as a more conventional mall and Phipps Plaza is more upscale. That's done on purpose.

SPG also owns SouthPark :)

You bet.  It was an extremely good idea to get one for stuff like that.  ;)

They're also owned by the same ompany, Simon Property Group.  Lenox Square is positioned as a more conventional mall and Phipps Plaza is more upscale.  That's done on purpose.

SPG also owns SouthPark  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well to me, Conventional=Mall of Georgia or Perimiter Mall, Upsacle=Lenox, Mega-Upscale=Phipps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lenox was built as an upscale mall, unlike Lenox. Saks has been in that location since 1968, before Phipps even opened. (The mall was built around Saks.) The new and improved SPM was patterned after Phipps by Simon. In fact, some of the woodworking inside the mall was inspired by the decor at Phipps. Simon will continue to be more like Phipps simply because Simon will keep pushing in that direction. If another mall opens, it'll just be another mall to visit. SPM, like Phipps, will continue to be unique to the area for the most part. Especially considering some stores have exclusive contracts with Simon.

From what I've seen and read here, SPM was more like the old Lenox. But when Simon bought it, all that flew out the window. To be honest, I don't remember the old Lenox or old SPM. Lenox "transformed" around the time I was born when Neiman Marcus opened. The new and improved SPM is the only one I know. To me, it's always been that way.

Morning traffic was horrendiously bad when I lived over there in the mid-80s.  I can't even imagine what it is like now.  Just glad I don't have to drive in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live there now MB, and your right the traffic does suck. However, if you are smart the best route to take to avoid the congesstion, is to bypass the mall via Morrison. I take it every morning and it saves me 10 minutes easy. I go towards the new development on Assembly, "Piedmont Town Center". The only drwaback is the nails in the road on Assembly. I just replaced my back tire this weekend from it. :(

A2

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/11969800.htm

This is a timeline/history in quicktime of the old Convention Center.  Interestingly enough, they do talk about the white glaze brick and how they wanted to use the same white glaze brick on SouthPark to sorta "match"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hadn't heard that before. That's kinda cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I read on SSC that there is a possibilty that Armani, Gucci, Chanel, Dior, Hermes, and other high-end retailers could come to SouthPark. I don't know if this has been said before and I don't know if this is true. If it is, personally I would be disappointed bc that means less retail for Uptown.

I read on SSC that there is a possibilty that Armani, Gucci, Chanel, Dior, Hermes, and other high-end retailers could come to SouthPark.  I don't know if this has been said before and I don't know if this is true.  If it is, personally I would be disappointed bc that means less retail for Uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it has been discussed. I can't remember if it was this thread or another one. It's in my posting history if that helps. :) (I really overabuse smilies around here.)

Yes, it has been discussed. I can't remember if it was this thread or another one. It's in my posting history if that helps. :) (I really overabuse smilies around here.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. it WAS discussed at UP in another thread, but as part of recent cleanup, those threads were merged into this one. just do a search for gucci or the other upscale retailers on this thread, and you'll see the discussion of that.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...=255&p=132276

I've read on this forum about several stores being built with extra floors, to be opened as needed.

So what's the scoop on the lower level of Ivey's/Dillard's at SouthPark? I can't even begin to describe the sensory overload I get down there when I combine the tile wall thing, the mirrored walls, the 70s smell, and the 70s elevator -- all of which will probably be ruined forever in the "improvements."

Is there space down there, or is this just some sort of an illusion? Do they keep the offices down there, or is it storage? Is it something similar to Belk's first floor? Has Belk's first floor at SP always been in use?

Wow, that's a lot of questions...guess I've been saving them up a while!

Matt

Welcome to the forum, Matt. I'm gonna try to answer your questions.

So what's the scoop on the lower level of Ivey's/Dillard's at SouthPark?  I can't even begin to describe the sensory overload I get down there when I combine the tile wall thing, the mirrored walls, the 70s smell, and the 70s elevator -- all of which will probably be ruined forever in the "improvements."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As may times as I've been to SouthPark, I've never been in that entrance. I might go before they ruin it.

Is there space down there, or is this just some sort of an illusion?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is space under Dillard's in a basement level.

Do they keep the offices down there, or is it storage?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Storage.

Is it something similar to Belk's first floor?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alomst identical.

Has Belk's first floor at SP always been in use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think it's been used the whole time. The fourth floor was the one that got opened up in 1986 when they renovated.

I'll give it a shot.  I usually go to the main mall entance on Sharon or through Belk or Nordstrom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, Steve, thanks for the answers. Big fan of your blog!

You definitely need to get down there next time you're in town...the wall mosaic thing would probably be one of your better pictures on that camera phone of yours -- which is great, by the way...very nice quality pictures.

Matt