SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I am still hoping for a Gilly Hicks somewhere! What's going in the Gap Kids space? After watching Fashion Star I do like H&M more, and I am a little sad that it will not be an H&M. Why don't they move Urban Outfitters to Metropolitan or downtown or somewhere and put an H&M there? I would do better in the West Plaza wing anyway. Or a freestanding store in the West Plaza is good too!

It's not really bad at all. H&M would be good at SouthPark, but it is better suited for Northlake. A freestanding one at SouthPark in the outdoor West Plaza or one downtown would be ideal.

Who said anything about H&M? Just the fact that they shuffled everything around just for Gap and Apple is what I'm dissapointed about....now there will be an empty old small Apple space that will probably turn into another boring dull conservative women's store.....BORINGGG

• Like 1

It's not really bad at all. H&M would be good at SouthPark, but it is better suited for Northlake. A freestanding one at SouthPark in the outdoor West Plaza or one downtown would be ideal.

Then the question should be begged, why hasn't H&M happened yet at Northlake... that vacant Borders

To be honest, why would H&M want to open at Northlake? Yes the space is there, does it have the same cache as Uptown or Southpark...probably not. Even Southpark is a bit more conservative for H&M but it's attraction comes from the market surrounding it. I'm not disappointed that they have yet to open in the mall.

Who said anything about H&M? Just the fact that they shuffled everything around just for Gap and Apple is what I'm dissapointed about....now there will be an empty old small Apple space that will probably turn into another boring dull conservative women's store.....BORINGGG

Have you even been reading this thread? They aren't really shuffling anything around for Gap, it's just that Apple needs a larger space. So what if they put another conservative womens store there? Sure, it's not my first choice, but no one is making you shop at SouthPark anyway.

Then the question should be begged, why hasn't H&M happened yet at Northlake... that vacant Borders

Probably because it's not exactly the right fit for H&M. H&M is very odd about where they open anyway. That is obvious seeing as how they opened in Winston-Salem and Raleigh before Charlotte. Besides, any space in Northlake is not in a good location (near Dillard's)

To be honest, why would H&M want to open at Northlake? Yes the space is there, does it have the same cache as Uptown or Southpark...probably not. Even Southpark is a bit more conservative for H&M but it's attraction comes from the market surrounding it. I'm not disappointed that they have yet to open in the mall.

I still think that a freestanding location at SouthPark would probably be best. Northlake is more trendy than SouthPark. Besides, Northlake really needs H&M since they aren't doing to well. SouthPark is fine whether they open there or not.

I've heard that H&M and Simon don't exactly jive. How many Simon Malls have an H&M?

There are actually more than you think. Town Center at Cobb, Mall of Georgia, Florida Mall come to mind.

I'm at northlake fairly often, it's always packed. And it's a pretty rare occasion I've seen a store shutdown in there. In fact, a lot of the stores in there have been there since northlake was built. So unless there are some solid numbers I don't know about, from an observational level the mall does well.

Ct36, where are you getting that info from?

Edited by ah59396

Northlake is not doing so well with the upscale stores. They got Apple, but they lost Z-Gallerie, etc. I do know that there are actually a few spaces in the Dillard's wing that are empty or have the low-end urban stores, temp stores, etc. (may as well be empty).

Then again, I do exaggerate sometimes and I am always going to SouthPark, so it probably has the illusion that Northlake is not doing well. I must admit thought that, in my opinion, they aren't doing as good as they should. I went on a Saturday about lunch time. The mall was completely empty. I only saw about 10 or maybe 15 people in the entire mall. When I went to SouthPark at around the same time, it was pretty full. SouthPark barely has any space avaliable for lease, and it's packed pretty much any time you go.

You really can't say how good (or bad) the mall is doing. I can't find any numbers anywhere. I did see, however, that they are making about half as much as was projected.

Besides, I never even said that it was doing bad, I specifically stated that it was not doing too well.

Edited by ct36

I just looked at how their spaces that are empty on their website.

I am failing to see how an 86% leased mall is considered to be doing very well anyway (124/144). As far as I know, SouthPark doesn't have any available space that isn't being filled. (100% leased).

Edited by ct36

I just looked at how their spaces that are empty on their website.

I am failing to see how an 86% leased mall is considered to be doing very well anyway (124/144). As far as I know, SouthPark doesn't have any available space that isn't being filled. (100% leased).

I never said it was doing very well, nor tried to make you see that. I merely stated what I saw from my observations and asked you for some numbers. Is 86% considered bad? I'm not in the mall industry.

Comparing SouthPark to Northlake is a little ridiculous though. One is located in one of the most densely populated parts of the city. The other was built in what was at the time, an empty field next to an interstate. I imagine business in Northlake will continue to pick up as the apartment complexes currently being built around the mall continue to develop and population increases.

Overall, I don't care for either mall. I buy everything online these days. I just eat at and around Northlake quite a bit for work.

Northlake is not doing so well with the upscale stores. They got Apple, but they lost Z-Gallerie, etc. I do know that there are actually a few spaces in the Dillard's wing that are empty or have the low-end urban stores, temp stores, etc. (may as well be empty).

Then again, I do exaggerate sometimes and I am always going to SouthPark, so it probably has the illusion that Northlake is not doing well. I must admit thought that, in my opinion, they aren't doing as good as they should. I went on a Saturday about lunch time. The mall was completely empty. I only saw about 10 or maybe 15 people in the entire mall. When I went to SouthPark at around the same time, it was pretty full. SouthPark barely has any space avaliable for lease, and it's packed pretty much any time you go.

You really can't say how good (or bad) the mall is doing. I can't find any numbers anywhere. I did see, however, that they are making about half as much as was projected.

Besides, I never even said that it was doing bad, I specifically stated that it was not doing too well.

I glad you admit exaggerating because I call B.S, on there being only "10 maybe 15 people" in Northlake at Lunchtime.

Also look at Northlakes location and then look at South Park - do you really consider a lunch time crowd comparison a fair judge of how a mall is doing when South Park Mall happens to sit in the center of one of the biggest employment districts of Charlotte and is a tourist attraction in itself?

BTW - North lake never seemed to be going for the upscale mall clientele so it's not a surprise that you don't see it doping well with upscale shops.

I've already stated that this point about North Lake not doing well comes up every once and a while and is always knocked down when the annual mall sales figures come up. Just don't see the point of trying to argue it based on some anecdotal observations...

Anyway - South Park Mall thread hijack over -

Edited by Urbanity

A good, popular mall is usually at least 90%. Most really successful malls are 95% or higher. Some may even be 100% and have a 2 year waiting list also (Bal Harbour). While I know that the 2 malls don't compare, I still like Haywood Mall in Greenville better, and it is at least 95% full or even higher. Basically, what I am saying is that Northlake would be doing much better than it is now if it were located in a different part of Charlotte, or a different city altogether.

I do find it reasonable to compare the malls at that time because both times were a Saturday around the same time of year, when most people working in the offices around SouthPark would not be working. I was there at 11. Then, there were around 5-10 people walking around on level 1 of the mall. I went in 3 or 4 stores and I was the only person in there (that didn't work there) in each store. Closer to lunch time, there were only about 15 or so tables that were taken up. None of the food court tenants had lines, except for Chick-fil-A, which had 2 or 3 people in line. I know what I saw, so if you don't believe me then I really don't care.

Could you provide these figures for me, because I cannot seem to find any figures about Northlake, with the exception of square feet.

Edited by ct36

86% leased is pretty bad, if that means that only 86% of the mall's leasable square feet are leased. That would mean that not only do retailers not want to locate in the mall, but also that there are probably rent reductions in place for existing tenants.

Didn't Z Gallerie close down a bunch of stores a while back? I wouldn't view losing that store as a sign that Northlake is failing; it's more a tenant issue than a mall issue.

Sorry, but you make no sense whatsoever......

And apparently Chuy's is opening a restaraunt in/near the mall somewhere.

Where did you hear this? I've been waiting for years for Chuy's to come to Charlotte. I recently emailed the company and they told me they were close to closing on a Charlotte location, so this jives with what you're saying. I was hoping the location would be a little closer to the lake, but Southpark is better than Nashville, TN! What other details do you know?

• 1 month later...

Apparently Jessica McClintock has closed. The Gap coming soon sign is now up at the Belk wing where Brooks Brothers/Cold Water Creek was. The new humongous Apple Store will be placed at the former Gap/Gap Kids spot. I think it's time they close that Burger King across the street...it is so out of place!