SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Ha. I didn't even know there was a BK across the street. On Morrison?

Corner of fairview and sharon. A master plan for Ashley park has it redeveloped in the near future.

Hmm..don't know how I missed that. I guess it's likely because I always come from Fairview and park near Nordstrom/Belk. It's better looking than most BK restaurants.

Does Apple really need a 16,000 square foot store? I was hoping they would take the 9,000 square foot Gap space and leave the 7,000 Kids store for something else (i.e. Gilly Hicks, etc.) Oh well. Guess there will never be a line to get in anymore on a normal day.

• 1 month later...

I stopped by yesterday to see what was going on. Apparently over half the mall is still closed from the flood damages. The wing from United Colors of Benneton all the way to true religion and Gap is completely closed off. Godiva is closed with not even a sign on the window and sme for Abercrmobie and Fitch. Swarovski had a sign on their window saying that they won't reopen until Sept 15!? That's after the DNC! That would be horrible if these stores are not fixed and opened by then.

You may not get this, but people actually prefer malls to downtown for chain stores. I think eventually Charlotte will get more retail downtown, but SouthPark is never going anywhere.

Most of the mall IS open.

These are the stores that are closed:

Abercrombie & Fitch (re-opening August 3)

Bakers

Banana Republic

Bath & Body Works

Bebe

Body Central

Brighton

Charlotte Gift Company

Gap/Gap Kids

Godiva

Gymboree (reopening next week)

Justice

Marmi

Pottery Barn

Rockport

Solstice

Swarovski

The Art of Shaving

True Religion

United Colors of Benneton

Vera Bradley

Yoforia

That's only 22 stores, or 17% of the mall, so I can assure you, half of the mall is not closed. Besides, most of these stores will probably open next week: Gymboree, Abercrombie & Fitch, Charlotte Gift Company, Bath & Body Works, Yoforia, UCoB, Vera Bradley, Godiva, Bakers, Body Central, Rockport etc. Hopefully Gap, The Art of Shaving, will be open by the following week.

By the end of September the whole mall will probably be open, except for Banana Republic.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte Restaurant Traffic is reporting that H&M is on it's way to Southpark (the article mentions Northlake as well). Does anyone have any other confirmation about this? There was no timetable reported, just that they are coming. I hope that this is actually happening and not just another teaser.

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/hm-heading-to-charlotte/#.UCPU0U1mS1w

I wonder where it will go? I could see them putting it in the Macy's wing to help that wing out, since it is the least-nice wing and also doesn't have as much foot traffic past the food court. Also, I could see them moving to to the Charlotte Gift Company (former Perry's), Lenscrafters, Bath & Body, Clarks spaces in the West Plaza wing. That would be a 14,000 square foot store, which is normal for an H&M. Other than some in the Macy's wing I couldn't really see H&M opening anywhere at SP. I hope that they move Loft to somewhere else in the mall, get rid of that god-awful Pure store and put in a Zara. Just like H&M, it's a store I haven't been to or shopped at but would be open to shopping there. Besides, those stores would be better than the ones that are already there.

I wonder where it will go? I could see them putting it in the Macy's wing to help that wing out, since it is the least-nice wing and also doesn't have as much foot traffic past the food court. Also, I could see them moving to to the Charlotte Gift Company (former Perry's), Lenscrafters, Bath & Body, Clarks spaces in the West Plaza wing. That would be a 14,000 square foot store, which is normal for an H&M. Other than some in the Macy's wing I couldn't really see H&M opening anywhere at SP. I hope that they move Loft to somewhere else in the mall, get rid of that god-awful Pure store and put in a Zara. Just like H&M, it's a store I haven't been to or shopped at but would be open to shopping there. Besides, those stores would be better than the ones that are already there.

Agree with you on Zara. H&M is a nice store but Zara is much better quality. To be honest I would rather see a Lush store open then both Zara and H&M. How many clothing stores do you need. I thought it funny the comment about Charlotte wondering why Raleigh and other large cities get major retail stores before Charlotte does. Um, I think a look at SouthParks store roster is pretty impressive compared to any other mall in NC.

I think we determined before that H&M would need at least 25k to open. 14k would be way too small compared to their new Stores in other NC Metros.

Agree with you on Zara. H&M is a nice store but Zara is much better quality. To be honest I would rather see a Lush store open then both Zara and H&M. How many clothing stores do you need. I thought it funny the comment about Charlotte wondering why Raleigh and other large cities get major retail stores before Charlotte does. Um, I think a look at SouthParks store roster is pretty impressive compared to any other mall in NC.

Agreed, I think this idea is ludicrous, there are countless stores that are Unique to Charlotte, or Charlotte had first.

• Kate Spade, first store outside of NYC

• Burberry, only store in NC or SC

• only full fledged Louis Vuitton, raleighs is boutique within Saks

• Only NonFactory Ralph Lauren

• Only NonFactory Vineyard Vines

• Only St. Johns Boutique in NC

• Only Neimen Marcus

• First Nordstroms

• First Bang and Olufson

• Only NonOutlet BCBG Maxazria

• First Crate and Barrel

• Only non Factory Juicy Couture.

• Only 7 for all mankind

• Only True Religion

• Only Tori Burch

• Only Juicy Couture

• Only Tiffani & Co.

• Dean and Deluca

• First Trader Joes.

The list could go on and on.

And frankly, I live in NYC and I used to shop at H&M religiously, but I'm over it, their clothes are ill-fitting, cheap and just a lot of "meh." Its nice that there'll be two in Charlotte, but its nothing to be excited about. Club Monaco or Zara would be better.

Edited by Guest

I think we determined before that H&M would need at least 25k to open. 14k would be way too small compared to their new Stores in other NC Metros.

Agreed, I think this idea is ludicrous, there are countless stores that are Unique to Charlotte, or Charlotte had first.

• Kate Spade, first store outside of NYC

• Burberry, only store in NC or SC

• only full fledged Louis Vuitton, raleighs is boutique within Saks

• Only NonFactory Ralph Lauren

• Only NonFactory Vineyard Vines

• Only St. Johns Boutique in NC

• Only Neimen Marcus

• First Nordstroms

• First Bang and Olufson

• Only NonOutlet BCBG Maxazria

• First Crate and Barrel

• Only non Factory Juicy Couture.

• Only 7 for all mankind

• Only True Religion

• Only Tori Burch

• Only Juicy Couture

• Only Tiffani & Co.

• Dean and Deluca

• First Trader Joes.

The list could go on and on.

And frankly, I live in NYC and I used to shop at H&M religiously, but I'm over it, their clothes are ill-fitting, cheap and just a lot of "meh." Its nice that there'll be two in Charlotte, but its nothing to be excited about. Club Monaco or Zara would be better.

The two other NC stores are 20,000 square feet each.

Here are two in mall options:

Puma to Charlotte Gift Company (former Perry's) is 16,750 square feet

SouthPark Optical to Avalon Salon is 16, 500

SouthPark Optical to Macy's is 18,750.

All are large enough to work, but SP Optical to Macy's would probably be the most likely out of the 3 since it is largest. They need such large stores that I almost hope that they just put it outside the mall somewhere, but then again most of those stores never seem to have many people in there, and an H&M would really help SP's sales per square foot and I am sure it would probably go to over $800 per square foot, which it may already have since it was "in excess of $700" in 2010. With more people shopping again I bet it is already over 800 now.

Actually, Charlotte has great shopping. Charlotte's shopping is at the minimum on par or much better than just about any of cities that have a similar size. Charlotte is the size of a mid-size city, but has as good shopping as much larger cities such as Tampa. Basically Charlotte can skip over any city larger than it (except Las Vegas and Orlando) up to cities like San Diego, Phoenix, and Seattle which are all double the size or larger. That is very, very good to be better than cities larger than it.

Also, Charlotte has the only Hermes in NC/SC. Actually, Durham got the first Nordstrom in the state. However, the SouthPark store was being planned longer before the SouthPoint store, and although the SouthPark store is only 2 years newer, I think it looks a lot better and is more upscale. Also, SouthPark has the only Madewell, The Art of Shaving, in the Carolinas. SouthPark is also the largest and best looking mall (IMO) in the Carolinas and Tennessee.

I think the LOFT and PURE spaces would to great for a Zara. I think they would prefer a space where they could be seen more, but I think it would be alright. I think LUSH would be a very nice addition to the mall. You would think they would at least have a mini-store inside Macy's by now. GNC isn't what you would think would be at SP, and there never seems to be many people in there, so I think they should put a Lush there and J. Crew should expand into the remaining space. I usually see a lot of people in there and a lot of bags around the mall. This is one of the few stores that sell crewcuts, their children's line, and for that reason the store doesn't have a huge selection of womens and men's clothing. In fact, my J. Crew store in Asheville is 2/3 the size of the SouthPark store and feels about the same size and has a larger selection, so I could actually see the SP store expanding.

I finally decided on H&M. You know how the mall isn't on the ground level, the parking garage is under it? Well, I think H&M should expand out from the currently empty Jessica McClintock space out to the food court entrance. You know, be over the entrance to the parking garage near Macy's. I think they would like the outdoor entrance, too.

Will update with a graphic representation to make myself clearer.

Edited by ct36

Also in reference to the above list, I'm not sure about Crate & Barrel locating first in Charlotte in the Carolinas.....I know that they opened their 2 story Southpark store in 2006....were they a relocation from inside the mall or from another location in Charlotte? I ask b/c although Crate and Barrel opened a freestanding location at Southpoint in Durham in 2011 they actually opened in Crabtree in Raleigh back in 2000. I tried to research any prior Charlotte locations via google but came up w/ zilch lol. I also second ct36's comment about Nordstroms first store being @ Southpoint. The main reason I recall this is b/c originally Southpoint was going to be a smaller outdoor lifestyle center type mall anchored by Hechts and Sears as neither stores had a southern Durham prescense. However once Nordstrom showed interest the developers updated their plans to make the mall a mega mall (which immediately killed the other southern Durham mall and has been slowly killing the northern Durham mall ever since) touting the fact that Durham would get the 1st Nordstrom in the state. The rest, as they say, is history.

Southpark is without a doubt the most upscale mall in the state, I don't think anyone could possibly deny that. I haven't been to the mall in about 10 years (back then the mall still had the '70s era Sears) but I'm going to try and check it out this fall when I'm in the area for IKEA.

Also in reference to the above list, I'm not sure about Crate & Barrel locating first in Charlotte in the Carolinas.....I know that they opened their 2 story Southpark store in 2006....were they a relocation from inside the mall or from another location in Charlotte? I ask b/c although Crate and Barrel opened a freestanding location at Southpoint in Durham in 2011 they actually opened in Crabtree in Raleigh back in 2000. I tried to research any prior Charlotte locations via google but came up w/ zilch lol. I also second ct36's comment about Nordstroms first store being @ Southpoint. The main reason I recall this is b/c originally Southpoint was going to be a smaller outdoor lifestyle center type mall anchored by Hechts and Sears as neither stores had a southern Durham prescense. However once Nordstrom showed interest the developers updated their plans to make the mall a mega mall (which immediately killed the other southern Durham mall and has been slowly killing the northern Durham mall ever since) touting the fact that Durham would get the 1st Nordstrom in the state. The rest, as they say, is history.

Southpark is without a doubt the most upscale mall in the state, I don't think anyone could possibly deny that. I haven't been to the mall in about 10 years (back then the mall still had the '70s era Sears) but I'm going to try and check it out this fall when I'm in the area for IKEA.

The current Crate & Barrel that opened in 2006 was the first and only C&B store that was ever in SouthPark or Charlotte. You should definitely go to SouthPark! It's my favorite mall, even ahead of Lenox Square and Mall at Millenia, even though all 3 are very great.

This is my plan for H&M:

HMSouthPark.jpg

Sorry that it's kind of big!

The H&M will take over the former Jessica McClintock spaces in the Macy's wing, as well as the current Pink & Blue space. The mall in the Macy's wing isn't actually touching the ground, rather has parking under it. So, I figured that they could just expand the mall out to the West Plaza area near Dick's, and have the store there. The store would actually be above what you currently see in the blue, except for in the mall itself. The road to the under-mall parking gets low enough to where a store can fit over it, so it could still be accessed for the same road. This way, 1 vacant store and one temporary store would be replaced, instead of replacing stores that are already filled. I still think SouthPark could upscale themselves a bit more and get rid of a few stores here and there, but nothing is really large enough for H&M. I think this is really one of the only plans that work. The size of the store is around 24,000 to 26,000 square feet, depending on how accurate the measurements are. I love that there will be 3 entrances, as well. One exterior, one in the Macy's wing, and one in the food court next to Bistro 7.

The current Crate & Barrel that opened in 2006 was the first and only C&B store that was ever in SouthPark or Charlotte. You should definitely go to SouthPark! It's my favorite mall, even ahead of Lenox Square and Mall at Millenia, even though all 3 are very great.

This is my plan for H&M:

HMSouthPark.jpg

Sorry that it's kind of big!

The H&M will take over the former Jessica McClintock spaces in the Macy's wing, as well as the current Pink & Blue space. The mall in the Macy's wing isn't actually touching the ground, rather has parking under it. So, I figured that they could just expand the mall out to the West Plaza area near Dick's, and have the store there. The store would actually be above what you currently see in the blue, except for in the mall itself. The road to the under-mall parking gets low enough to where a store can fit over it, so it could still be accessed for the same road. This way, 1 vacant store and one temporary store would be replaced, instead of replacing stores that are already filled. I still think SouthPark could upscale themselves a bit more and get rid of a few stores here and there, but nothing is really large enough for H&M. I think this is really one of the only plans that work. The size of the store is around 24,000 to 26,000 square feet, depending on how accurate the measurements are. I love that there will be 3 entrances, as well. One exterior, one in the Macy's wing, and one in the food court next to Bistro 7.

Woah, holy crap, I'm actually astounded. Please send this plan to Simon, its probably the best SouthPark idea I've heard in years. Kudos.

Woah, holy crap, I'm actually astounded. Please send this plan to Simon, its probably the best SouthPark idea I've heard in years. Kudos.

I'm glad you liked it! I think H&M would like the 3 entrances, especially an exterior one as well. It might just be good enough to send to Simon. Surprisingly, I didn't really think of that.

I stopped by yesterday to see what was going on. Apparently over half the mall is still closed from the flood damages. The wing from United Colors of Benneton all the way to true religion and Gap is completely closed off. Godiva is closed with not even a sign on the window and sme for Abercrmobie and Fitch. Swarovski had a sign on their window saying that they won't reopen until Sept 15!? That's after the DNC! That would be horrible if these stores are not fixed and opened by then.

Why don't they just tear out the roof and make SouthPark a really cool lifestyle center, upscale of course like the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto near San Francisco.

My wife and I took a little weekend trip to Charlotte, only because its not far from Columbia, and the kids wouldn't be there. Stayed at the Rennaisance at South Park, where we shared lodging with the Houston Texans and the Secret Service. That circumstance was far more interesting than anything we saw at South Park Mall. Charlotte has a lot of money and clean looking people, but damn, its dull.