SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Aww.....I love Ralph Lauren at SouthPark!! The sales associates are very nice! That store had a great selection and at times had the best prices anywhere (even better than the outlets). I feel like, since Ralph Lauren is less expensive (only Women's had Black Label, men was only Polo) it would have done much better in the Nordstrom wing. Since it's tucked away next to Louis Vuitton I wonder some people actually knew it was there? I saw that the very back room was closed off. It has always seemed fairly busy when I went. I assumed they were just rearranging. I never struck me that the store was closing. 

I wonder what will replace it? That is a great spot for a luxury retailer, or even two smaller ones. The storefront is wide enough. I would love to have Omega, Cartier, Prada, Gucci, Chanel, BOSS, Ferragamo, Anne Fontaine, Jimmy Choo, etc. all open at SouthPark, but that is very unlikely. A few of those may open, but I wouldn't really expect more than 2 of those stores to open before 2020, unfortunately. Luxury retail does seem to be expanding in most areas, with the exception of Saks Fifth Avenue. 

Edited by ct36

Other retailers in town told me that one of the reasons the store wasn't successful is that it that the four department stores sold the same merchandise and that the boutique was too small.  I never shopped there for no other reason that I refuse to pay $500 for a sweater manufactured in Vietnam.  Truth be known, I refuse to pay $500 for a sweater made anywhere, but you get my point.  If I can buy a Loro Piana jacket made by artisans in Italy who are making a decent living with good working conditions for the same price, why would I pay an exorbitant amount for a garment made by people working in deplorable conditions in Asia?  What is RL's mark-up, 2000%?

• Like 1

It would be funny to put a C Wonder there, across from Tory Burch (those chains are owned by bitter, divorced ex-spouses).

I never set foot in the Ralph Lauren, but what's the point of having one, since seemingly every mid-tier and better department store has a Ralph Lauren section?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David Yurman is opening in the smaller half of the former Apple store. Ralph Lauren still has no barricade wall, so I don't think they have anyone signed on yet. It has been less than 1 month, so that isn't exactly surprising. The new Apple store is very large, larger than any other mall stores I have seen.

An extremely tragic event took place at Cheesecake Factory on Friday.  One of the servers was on lunch break and choked to death while eating a corndog.  Apparently a part of the stick got stuck in his throat.  How was there no one there to do the heimlich??  Such terrible news.  He was only 21 and I knew him.  :(

• 4 weeks later...

A Vans store is opening near California pizza Kitchen, which will probably match well with urban outfitters conveniently across from them. Meanwhile, the barricade is up for David Yurman where Apple was previously. I was disappointed to see that Ralph Lauren space has turned into a "Sports/baseball" type store, although it looks temporary. I don't think Porsche Design will last long. Every time I walk by that store it is completely empty, except for the 3 male employees that work there, which 2 of them have absolutely no product knowledge whatsoever. I noticed that the Men's shoe department at Neiman Marcus has tripled in size and they started carrying new brands exclusively to Charlotte including Jimmy Choo, Bally, and others... A sales associate told me that if their sales continue to increase they will actually tear down a wall that separates shoes from the underwear and belts section and expand the shoe area. Right now the additions are located where the ties usually are.

Edited by Temeteron

A Vans store is opening near California pizza Kitchen, which will probably match well with urban outfitters conveniently across from them. Meanwhile, the barricade is up for David Yurman where Apple was previously. I was disappointed to see that Ralph Lauren space has turned into a "Sports/baseball" type store, although it looks temporary. I don't think Porsche Design will last long. Every time I walk by that store it is completely empty, except for the 3 male employees that work there, which 2 of them have absolutely no product knowledge whatsoever. I noticed that the Men's shoe department at Neiman Marcus has tripled in size and they started carrying new brands exclusively to Charlotte including Jimmy Choo, Bally, and others... A sales associate told me that if their sales continue to increase they will actually tear down a wall that separates shoes from the underwear and belts section and expand the shoe area. Right now the additions are located where the ties usually are.

Hopefully they will be out soon! I guess they're just trying to find the right retailer! Getting a good store (or two) for it shouldn't be too hard for that space, as well as the other half of Apple's former space. I have only seen a person or two each in Porsche Design when walking by. It's hard to say at this point, but I could see them staying for a while or closing soon. If I continue to see only 1 person or less then I definitely think it will close. 

That's great to hear NM's Men's shoe department is doing so well. Actually, I think the whole store seems to be doing well. It is very busy (for Neiman's, anyway), but the sales associates are good at working with multiple clients at a time. In fact, Nordstrom's claim to fame is customer service but I find in Men's Sportswear that it is pretty poor, but Neiman's is very good, despite being more expensive the SA's in Men's are less snobby than at Nordstrom.  Other departments are good, though. I think it's a very impressive store, especially with Van Cleef & Arpels, considering it is pretty exclusive. 

What will they do with the underwear, etc if they expand shoes? Our little Neiman's is running out of space, at least if they want it to have a nice, open and spacious layout like it does now. I wonder if we could see that basement floor expansion before too long? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some News: United Colors of Benneton has closed (kind of dissapointed, was hoping they would expand and add the men's line).  Also, SouthPark Optical has moved to the Belk wing from the Macy's wing, and Avalon Nail salon is also following them.  There's definitely more foot traffic in the Belk wing so I don't blame them.  With those stores relocating, that leaves only Hallmark as a permanent store on that side corner of the mall.  If they relocate Hallmark and close the non-permanent stores next to it, that would be a perfect place for H&M or Zara :)

Edited by Temeteron

Some News: United Colors of Benneton has closed (kind of dissapointed, was hoping they would expand and add the men's line).  Also, SouthPark Optical has moved to the Belk wing from the Macy's wing, and Avalon Nail salon is also following them.  There's definitely more foot traffic in the Belk wing so I don't blame them.  With those stores relocating, that leaves only Hallmark as a permanent store on that side corner of the mall.  If they relocate Hallmark and close the non-permanent stores next to it, that would be a perfect place for H&M or Zara :)

Well consider your zara dreams canceled there not expanding in US anymore according to this article

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=17725146

• 1 month later...

It's really not that bad! American Girl isn't cheap, and it's just in the Macy's wing replacing temporary and non-upscale stores. Now I would have been worried if they closed Louis Vuitton and BCBG and put it there next to Neiman's. Out of Phipps getting Legoland and SouthPark American Girl I think SouthPark definitely got the better deal. There are only 15 stores so it will definitely attract a lto of people. 

It's really not that bad! American Girl isn't cheap, and it's just in the Macy's wing replacing temporary and non-upscale stores. Now I would have been worried if they closed Louis Vuitton and BCBG and put it there next to Neiman's. Out of Phipps getting Legoland and SouthPark American Girl I think SouthPark definitely got the better deal. There are only 15 stores so it will definitely attract a lto of people. 

I work down the street from the Manhattan location, and the little girls annoy the hell out of me. I just would like for Charlotte to get some destination retail. I guess since there are only 15 in the World its not so bad.