SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I'm sorry but what you guys are advocating is not "FASHION." Its Label Whoremongering at best. I am a marketing director of a NY fashion company, I understand fashion.

A bit arrogant there no?  I never stated that everything those brands carry are nice or fashion forward.  They are however respected brands.  I am not a "brand whore" or luxury whore by any means.  I have everything from Valentino suit from Milan flagship store to H&M shirts to offbrand underwear from Greece.  

Although this sounds exciting, it might be too good to be true.  None of the dept stores at SP carry Emporio clothing (just colognes/perfumes).  I know Neiman carries Giorgio for women (or at least they used to).  I went to Louis Vuitton today and asked the associates there if they knew anything about the new store and one of them said that he heard that it'll be Armani Collezioni but he also said that he thinks that's just a rumor.  He was actually more convinced that it would be A/X; but then he said that it's either A/X or Gucci.....a bit all over the place if you ask me.   :dontknow:    Meanwhile, Marmi is getting a makeover,  that ugly toy store near the food court has closed, and several temporary stores have closed all around the mall including the Charlotte gift store in the Dillard's wing and the temp store that was across from Starbucks. Also, the copaceptic store which is a temp store on the wing where H&M will go, had a sign on the door that said they were having a "moving sale";  but when I spoke to the manager, she said they were moving back to NY.  Strange.  Oh well, Hallmark looks like they are in their last few days, and the other store 'Pink & Blue' looks like it is closing soon as well.  Not sure about the calendar store, but I assume they will be gone by mid-January as most calendar stores usually do.  

Edited by Temeteron

Although this sounds exciting, it might be too good to be true.  None of the dept stores at SP carry Emporio clothing (just colognes/perfumes).  I know Neiman carries Giorgio for women (or at least they used to).  I went to Louis Vuitton today and asked the associates there if they knew anything about the new store and one of them said that he heard that it'll be Armani Collezioni but he also said that he thinks that's just a rumor.  He was actually more convinced that it would be A/X; but then he said that it's either A/X or Gucci.....a bit all over the place if you ask me.   :dontknow:    Meanwhile, Marmi is getting a makeover,  that ugly toy store near the food court has closed, and several temporary stores have closed all around the mall including the Charlotte gift store in the Dillard's wing and the temp store that was across from Starbucks. Also, the copaceptic store which is a temp store on the wing where H&M will go, had a sign on the door that said they were having a "moving sale";  but when I spoke to the manager, she said they were moving back to NY.  Strange.  Oh well, Hallmark looks like they are in their last few days, and the other store 'Pink & Blue' looks like it is closing soon as well.  Not sure about the calendar store, but I assume they will be gone by mid-January as most calendar stores usually do.  

Well, I don't believe they put stores on the lease plan unless a lease has already been signed, so I'm about 99% sure. David Yurman showed up on the lease plan at least a month before the barricade went up. Also, it showed SP Optical and Avalon Salon in the Belk wing before they moved and before anyone said anything on here. 

Edited by 101_ce

Well, I don't believe they put stores on the lease plan unless a lease has already been signed, so I'm about 99% sure. David Yurman showed up on the lease plan at least a month before the barricade went up. Also, it showed SP Optical and Avalon Salon in the Belk wing before they moved and before anyone said anything on here. 

Agreed, Simon is an extremely reputable company. Putting a fictional store opening would be a PR nightmare waiting to happen, and putting Emporio Armani instead of A/X would be probably be in breach of contract. 

So I got an even juicier scoop today from a manager that works in the mall.  Emporio is definitely opening at the former Ralph Lauren store.  But wait, there's more!  Lacoste is moving to the old Kate Spade to make way for a Louis Vuitton expansion.  Meanwhile, St. John is downsizing to make room for a Gucci boutique!  I could not be making this up!  This is huge news for SP!  :yahoo: With H&M and these joining the store lineup, 2014 is SP's year!

Edited by Temeteron

So I got an even juicier scoop today from a manager that works in the mall.  Emporio is definitely opening at the former Ralph Lauren store.  But wait, there's more!  Lacoste is moving to the old Kate Spade to make way for a Louis Vuitton expansion.  Meanwhile, St. John is downsizing to make room for a Gucci boutique!  I could not be making this up!  This is huge news for SP!  :yahoo: With H&M and these joining the store lineup, 2014 is SP's year!

In the Armani Hierarchy it goes Giorgio, Emporio, Collezioni, Armani Jeans, A/X, right? (from luxurious to not). I knew Gucci was coming, a friend at Simon told me a month ago, however I thought it was going to be in the second spot that was freed up from 1/4 of the Ralph Lauren Store. With that said, the fact that they are taking part of St. Johns (always empty) tells me that something real good and juicy will go in the spot between Armani and BCBG Maxazria. 

stumbled across this article about Neiman's location strategy, thought it was kinda interesting to compare relative ultra-wealth across the country: http://www.businessinsider.com/neiman-marcus-targets-wealthy-people-2013-7

That's an interesting find. ATL has a much lower # and Charlotte has a higher # than I thought.

Back to store openings... my only wish is that Zara opens at Southpark one day. It's not too expensive and while some of their stuff is a little out there, they have some good finds every now and then. The more options the better I say!

That's an interesting find. ATL has a much lower # and Charlotte has a higher # than I thought.

Back to store openings... my only wish is that Zara opens at Southpark one day. It's not too expensive and while some of their stuff is a little out there, they have some good finds every now and then. The more options the better I say!

Club Monaco too, that'd be great...

Edit: Not that I can't walk to both from my office already, not sure why I care about what goes to SouthPark. I guess retail options is a testament to a growing city and thats what I care about ultimately.

Edited by Guest

Wow, my day is made! That still leaves the rest of the RL space. I'm guessing Jimmy Choo or Ferragamo. My guess with Gucci is that they will take over the Nordstrom wing and circle court storefront and St John will take the smaller half next to Coach. I guess that means Gucci in NM will close, which I would assume would be replaced by the Gucci-Group brand Bottega Veneta. This is so exciting! The LV store is beautiful, but the new designs look great also! The new store will be 5,000 square feet. I wonder if they will add any product lines or if the store will just carry extra merchandise. Currently, they only have Handbags & Accessories, Sunglasses, and Shoes. Most stores that size carry watches as well. This is about the size of Lenox's LV store before they expanded. I hope all of these stores open before Christmas! 

Edited by 101_ce

I hope this pastes in a decent format. I guess we have some insufficient data because we don't know the number of HNWP in the other metros, so there is no way to really tell what the relationship is between NM and HNWP.

Need to learn how to paste charts from Excel into UP.... Attached is a PDF of the data.

HNW info.pdf

Edited by rugger62

So my nosy self has found out more info!  Spoke to the Mori Luggage manager (this store is right next to Macy's).  Apparently all of the stores on that side (Mori's, Delia's, Claire's, Limited, Journey's, Body Central, & abercrombie kids) are either closing or moving to make room for American Girl.  Body Central had a sign that said store closing, and Delia's did as well.  Mori's Luggage is moving to a space across from Starbucks that was a Wolf Camera previously.  Claire's I'm sure will find a spot somewhere since they are small.  Limited is downsizing to their 'boutique' format and moving where Body Central is, which is not that far away down the hallway.  I'm not exactly sure about Journey's and abercrombie kids.  H&M is actually occupying the opposite side across from where American Girl will be located; that whole side of the Macy*'s wing from where Stride Rite used to be, all the way down to Auntie's Anne's/Nestle Tollhouse.  Auntie Anne's/NT is moving exactly across to where the temp Toy store used to be.  They are even moving the food court restrooms across the hallway next to Chipotle.  Another thing I heard was that there is a possibility that Macy's will be converted to a Bloomingdale's soon.  Not sure if and when that will happen but that is a sign that SouthPark is going in the right direction again!  

Edited by Temeteron

^What is the history of Macy's in the Charlotte market? IIRC, both the Macy's in Northlake and Southpark were former Hechts.

The Macy's in SP doesn't really fit well with the rest of the mall image. In fact, the whole Macy's wing seems to be neglected compared to the rest of the mall. A store conversion to Bloomingdale's wouldn't surprise me.

So my nosy self has found out more info!  Spoke to the Mori Luggage manager (this store is right next to Macy's).  Apparently all of the stores on that side (Mori's, Delia's, Claire's, Limited, Journey's, Body Central, & abercrombie kids) are either closing or moving to make room for American Girl.  Body Central had a sign that said store closing, and Delia's did as well.  Mori's Luggage is moving to a space across from Starbucks that was a Wolf Camera previously.  Claire's I'm sure will find a spot somewhere since they are small.  Limited is downsizing to their 'boutique' format and moving where Body Central is, which is not that far away down the hallway.  I'm not exactly sure about Journey's and abercrombie kids.  H&M is actually occupying the opposite side across from where American Girl will be located; that whole side of the Macy*'s wing from where Stride Rite used to be, all the way down to Auntie's Anne's/Nestle Tollhouse.  Auntie Anne's/NT is moving exactly across to where the temp Toy store used to be.  They are even moving the food court restrooms across the hallway next to Chipotle.  Another thing I heard was that there is a possibility that Macy's will be converted to a Bloomingdale's soon.  Not sure if and when that will happen but that is a sign that SouthPark is going in the right direction again!  

I was wondering how they were going to fit such a large store, but that makes a lot of sense. I know it's just a rumour, but I'd be very excited for a Bloomingdale's...and it makes me hope that it might scare Neiman's a little into expanding. Bloomingdale's is obviously a little different, however, the newest Bloomingdale's in Glendale, California is very upscale with a whopping 48 vendor shops or customized spaces including Gucci, Louis Vuitton, & Chloe. Bloomingdale's seems to get Dior and Fendi easier than NM does for some reason, so they definitely have a lot of sway with luxury brands, but not as much as NM. 

Edited by 101_ce

^What is the history of Macy's in the Charlotte market? IIRC, both the Macy's in Northlake and Southpark were former Hechts.

The Macy's in SP doesn't really fit well with the rest of the mall image. In fact, the whole Macy's wing seems to be neglected compared to the rest of the mall. A store conversion to Bloomingdale's wouldn't surprise me.

Correct.  SouthPark started out as Thalhimer's, and then converted to Hecht's after the buyout of that store.  Carolina Place and Northlake both were Hecht's from the start, and then turned over to Macy's.  

I agree that Macy's SouthPark is subpar, especially when competing with the flagship Belk and a top Dillard's as well.  Bloomingdales would fit in much better at SouthPark.  

Interestingly, Bloomingdales was supposed to be a part of South Tryon St. at one point in time as well but that apparently fell through.

A bit ironic, that I asked in 2005 if Charlotte was ready for Bloomie's... http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/9425-is-charlotte-ready-for-bloomingdales/ 

Bloomingdale's is planning on opening in Honolulu, Miami, and a relocation for the Palo Alto store. Also, they recently opened a store in Glendale and they are supposedly looking to open a store in Bethesda, Canoga Park, CA, and Dallas. All of that together makes it sound like the company is doing well, so a Charlotte store wouldn't really surprise me. 

This is old news, but I haven't heard it until today, so I'll share. Juicy Couture is going to be sold exclusively at Kohl's and all their boutiques are being converted to Kate Spade or Lucky Brand. Since SouthPark has both I'm sure they're giving up the space. That leaves the space next to EA and Juicy, hopefully for Jimmy Choo and Ferragamo.

I more thing....it appears Sur La Table is moving (and upsizing slightly) to the space across from Brookstone in the Dillard's wing.  I think it's a seasonal or temp store at the moment.  That would free up space for a decent amount of space right across from Tumi.  Is the old Apple store still empty too which was right next to it?

As far as Juicy closing, isn't Kate Space closed....Juicy could become Kate Spade again.

I more thing....it appears Sur La Table is moving (and upsizing slightly) to the space across from Brookstone in the Dillard's wing.  I think it's a seasonal or temp store at the moment.  That would free up space for a decent amount of space right across from Tumi.  Is the old Apple store still empty too which was right next to it?

As far as Juicy closing, isn't Kate Space closed....Juicy could become Kate Spade again.

Kate Spade is moving to new location already

That's good! I think a lot of people really like Sur la Table, so that's great. The Apple store is now a David Yurman boutique and Kate Spade is opening in the other half. I think they would do better in the Nordstrom wing than NM wing.