SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I lived in Canton, Ohio back in the 70's and there was a FRYE Boots store there.  It was in an office building behind the mall.  This was a while ago.  From your list of locations I suppose they are not there anymore, I imagine they closed that store and a whole bunch of others.  At the time they were nice stores with quality leather goods.  I had a pair for a long time.  Resoled a couple of times, lasted for years.

Not to derail this from current developments within the mall, but as a sort of outsider to construction or real estate news is there any movement or change in the conversion of Macy's to Bloomingdale's, or Neiman Marcus possibly adding their 3rd story? Even just speculation. Seems they would both be shoe-ins for a market most luxury retailers watch I'd imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally pursue through Purseforum and a thread from that site claim that Hermes was closing at SouthPark by the end of the year (according to one of the sales associates). I do not know the validity of said claim but I would certainly hope this isn't the case. That'd be a huge blow for the mall.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:44 PM, DAP433 said:

Occasionally pursue through Purseforum and a thread from that site claim that Hermes was closing at SouthPark by the end of the year (according to one of the sales associates). I do not know the validity of said claim but I would certainly hope this isn't the case. That'd be a huge blow for the mall.

Wow, I just read that thread.  Seems really down on Southparks future.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2016 at 9:53 PM, atlrvr said:

Southpark Mall is getting a FRYE Boots in the Belk wing. 

Not sure if anyone has any opinion on if this is a good win, but looks like they are typically in high-end locations, and only currently in NY, Boston, DC, Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta.

Many women will be very happy. This adds to the list of high end shops at SP

• 4 weeks later...

Another store headed to South Park.  "Johnny Was" looks like a higher end woman's boutique that is so far, only located in Florida, and the Southwest in higher end malls.

Apparently going to the spot where Porsche Design is/was?  Didn't realize they closed, but not shocking given that I've never seen a customer in there.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:46 AM, atlrvr said:

Another store headed to South Park.  "Johnny Was" looks like a higher end woman's boutique that is so far, only located in Florida, and the Southwest in higher end malls.

Apparently going to the spot where Porsche Design is/was?  Didn't realize they closed, but not shocking given that I've never seen a customer in there.

less boho shops pleaaaaaaaase

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 10:46 AM, atlrvr said:

Seems like it may have been a different spot. Porsche Design is still open as far as I can tell.

I think Southpark is doing just fine. It seems when one store closes another one opens back up within a matter or months, if not weeks. The mall is expensive to do business in I'm sure, and a lot of these high end stores I have never even gone inside. Unlike "traditional" malls, where the widows beckon you to come inside, a lot of the high end retailers in Southpark have the same design, glass and white marble, a black, silver, or white sign, lots of wasted space inside (one shelf for a pair of boots, for example) and really only appeal to the wealthy and those who may know about the retailer from somewhere else, or via advertisement. If you have too many of the same, some are bound to lose out, especially if you're not welcoming to the average Joe. I recall going into the Armani store and being immediately directed to the clearance rack by the man in charge, doesn't really make me want to go back if one day I actually can afford a suit there. Considering I often have trouble finding parking during peak times (Saturday/ Sunday afternoons) I don't think foot traffic is an issue, it's getting people to actually buy things, that is the goal. I don't see stores like Old Navy as being a sign of the downfall of Southpark, the Old Navy there is nicer than any Old Navy I have been in, the same with the Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret (according to my girlfriend of course) and the VANS Store, among others. The high end nature of the mall will keep the "typical mall fare" in check. I think that less high end is a good thing, I have actually never been in any of the stores on the east flank of the Nordstrom wing, and the south flank of the main hall leading to the main entrance simply because they're not appealing, and even on Black Friday (yes, I was a fool for going) these stores were practically empty. 

• Like 3

SouthPark appeals to those uninterested in the disentermediation that the interweb has given us. Who are the people who use a travel agent today? The wealthy. Who uses a personal broker to manage his stocks and handle research for investments? The wealthy. Who bypasses the interweb and uses a professional college consultant to help her child apply for university? The wealthy. Who shops at SouthPark and uses Hermes, Porsche Design and the other high end stores they find there to satisfy their retail desires? For some people shopping online is déclassé. And they and their influencing friends want to flaunt that they reject that method.

If you prefer haute bourgeoisie, affluent, or another term please apply it to my comments.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Ran across this blog concerning the upcoming closure of the Hermes store at Southpark.  Quite a few scathing comments concerning the mall itself.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/hermes-charlotte-closing.949023/

The comments on that link are saying that Southpark needs a renovation badly because it looks run down....its the nicest look mall that I have ever seen in my life lol! I do ad,it though that the mall seems to be having a hard time keeping high-end stores. I don't know if that is because of changing shopping habits with people ordering online, or if people are actually refusing to shop at Southpark.

On 1/20/2017 at 8:13 PM, lewy2000 said:

Both Hermes and Montblanc have closed. Looks like I'm running out of shopping options in Charlotte. :tw_confused:

Porsches Design has also closed. Had a feeling that would happen. Looks like Tumi is moving to the space next to Mont Blanc on the corner where Spa Paris used to be. I wonder what is taking Tumi's original spot! Let's hope for the best!

Wasn't Southpark just renovated too? LOL. There are certainly more upscale malls around the country but I never found Southpark or the area to be rundown - it's probably the most upscale it's ever been! Some really bizarre comments on that forum.

Hermes is surprising, but maybe they are just slimming down and choosing locations outside of malls. Will be interesting to see what happens with the rumored "urban mall" at the Lincoln Harris development uptown. Maybe we'll see some upscale retailers make a return or choose to open a new Charlotte location there.

I'm still extremely surprised that there is no Club Monaco (similar to J. Crew which is popular there) or Zara at this point, not even a rumor of either one. Old Navy really should have been a Zara... 

On 1/23/2017 at 0:39 AM, norm21499 said:

The comments on that link are saying that Southpark needs a renovation badly because it looks run down....its the nicest look mall that I have ever seen in my life lol! I do ad,it though that the mall seems to be having a hard time keeping high-end stores. I don't know if that is because of changing shopping habits with people ordering online, or if people are actually refusing to shop at Southpark.

So I successfully avoided the mall for all of my Christmas shopping but my nephew asked me to go the day after to look for some rare sneakers.  Grrr.  Love the kid so we went.  

Had no idea where anything in the mall was and wound up parking outside of Macy's but wound up going to Needless Markup.  Anyways, it was like a tale of two cities from one end of the mall to the other.  Everything from the look to volume and type of people.  Once you crossed over this area it was like you were transported to a different mall.  

Maybe those comments are for one part of the mall vs. the other?

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

My hometown of Albany with a metro population of just a hair over a million is getting a Zara.

How does Charlotte still not have one?

They go in high performing malls. They are 2 in Atlanta at Lenox and Perimeter probably the 2 best malls in that city. SouthPark does not have the space unless someone leaves and that is rare event. And I am sure that is where they want to go but maybe there could be an opportunity in South End  or maybe even uptown but not sure if they would do that. 

• Like 1