SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I wouldn’t say SouthPark is safe either, there were already rumors that location would be converted into a Bloomingdale’s. 

Were those recent rumors?  I remember when they bought Hechts and there was talk about SP becoming a Bloomingdales but they just ended up making it a Macy’s.  Interesting that they’re considering that with the retail landscape nowadays. 

54 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Were those recent rumors?  I remember when they bought Hechts and there was talk about SP becoming a Bloomingdales but they just ended up making it a Macy’s.  Interesting that they’re considering that with the retail landscape nowadays. 

Yeah that was over 10 years ago.  If it turns into a Bloomingdales they would have to carry more upscale brands.  Plus,  several of the mid-size markets that had a Bloomingdales don’t anymore, including Mall of America in Minneapolis.  Was shocked about that one.  

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

If and this is a big IF Macys closes Southpark I would believe Von Maur the privately department store would enter the market as they have in Atlanta with 3 stores.  They are an Iowa based store like Nordstrom. 

Nordstrom is based in Seattle.

The Macy's at Northlake actually seems to be stronger than the Macy's at SouthPark, likely due to less competition and it can position itself as a more upscale store for Lake Norman residents. At SouthPark, they can't compete against Nordstrom and the flagship Belk. 

The SouthPark Macy's seems to have given up against the other department stores at the mall and they are trying to fill a niche as the mall's TJMaxx / Ross. A good amount of square footage is dedicated to "Macy's Backstage" discount / marked down goods and they aren't keeping up the appearance of the store. Upstairs is a ghost town with empty shelves and racks with one or two things on it to try to make the inventory look full. Overall, the whole store looks like they've surrendered to Nordstrom, Belk, and Dillard's (I leave off Neiman cause they don't have any overlapping clientele). 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Nordstrom is based in Seattle.

The Macy's at Northlake actually seems to be stronger than the Macy's at SouthPark, likely due to less competition and it can position itself as a more upscale store for Lake Norman residents. At SouthPark, they can't compete against Nordstrom and the flagship Belk. 

The SouthPark Macy's seems to have given up against the other department stores at the mall and they are trying to fill a niche as the mall's TJMaxx / Ross. A good amount of square footage is dedicated to "Macy's Backstage" discount / marked down goods and they aren't keeping up the appearance of the store. Upstairs is a ghost town with empty shelves and racks with one or two things on it to try to make the inventory look full. Overall, the whole store looks like they've surrendered to Nordstrom, Belk, and Dillard's (I leave off Neiman cause they don't have any overlapping clientele). 

I meant Von Maur is a Nordstrom like store based in Iowa.  not clear grammar on my part sorry.  That is what I am saying maybe Von Maur will take their place and their stores are really nice and they now have 3 in Atlanta taking over a Bloomingdales in Perimeter Mall as their first store. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I meant Von Maur is a Nordstrom like store based in Iowa.  not clear grammar on my part sorry.  That is what I am saying maybe Von Maur will take their place and their stores are really nice and they now have 3 in Atlanta taking over a Bloomingdales in Perimeter Mall as their first store. 

Got ya! Yeah that would be a great fit for South Park and their stores look very nice. 

• Like 1

All of these people living in apartments along the rail line (and elsewhere), many of them new to the city, where do they buy clothes and shoes? Underwear? Socks and other basic items as well as ties, and other daily wear that is not athletic gear?  Does SouthPark own this market? Am I so far behind that ALL of their closet is sourced online?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

All of these people living in apartments along the rail line (and elsewhere), many of them new to the city, where do they buy clothes and shoes? Underwear? Socks and other basic items as well as ties, and other daily wear that is not athletic gear?  Does SouthPark own this market? Am I so far behind that ALL of their closet is sourced online?

"Consumers in their late 20s spend the biggest portion of their clothing spending online, close to 50 percent or more."

Lots of good insights here: 

https://www.therobinreport.com/millennial-brand-preferences-a-2018-update/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

For me - Target, Nordstrom, and online shopping. 

• Like 1

There was a Woolco (Woolworth* big box) on Freedom Drive across from where the new county services center is now, Ashley and Freedom. That center has been derelict since Woolco closed decades ago. Woolco may have been in Tryon Mall, N Tryon and Sugar Creek.

Freedom Mall was the original building where the county services center was located and there was a Peebles and Collins store inside that enclosed mall.

A Richway (Rich's department big box from Atlanta) was at Conference and Independence.

Zayre was at Plaza and Sugar Creek in another seriously declining center.

Several K-Marts, which has hung on despite all evidence.

All these are from my memory(caveat)

*Do I have to explain Woolworth?

• Like 3

@KJHburg I’ll bet you remember the Service Merchandise then on Independence near Conference.  Where you had to select things out of the catalog in the store and it would come out on a conveyor belt.  It was.... unique.  I think it became a used exotic car dealership before being torn down.  It may be where Lexus is now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, turbocraig said:

@KJHburg I’ll bet you remember the Service Merchandise then on Independence near Conference.  Where you had to select things out of the catalog in the store and it would come out on a conveyor belt.  It was.... unique.  I think it became a used exotic car dealership before being torn down.  It may be where Lexus is now. 

Yes there was on S Tryon and 77 too.  I liked Brendles which was a category store like that too  and remember Lechmere, PharMor (loved that store)

I have been shopping in Charlotte since before @ricky_davis_fan_21 was born and he ain't a spring chicken either LOL.  Sometimes as a kid with just a few dollars in my pocket that is why I remember where every discount store was located in the city. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I worked there at that Service Merchandise. I was in the Sight and Sound department, clock radios, calculators, cameras and the like. There were SM stores around the country as a central buying service created a catalogue for shoppers and prominent local jewelry stores, usually with several locations, joined the service and expanded their offerings to outdoor furniture, home appliances, and quite a bit more. Jewelry was the centerpiece of each store as it was the major profit driver and the origin of the original participants. South Carolina had Sam Solomon, a Service Merchandise member. Louisiana and the lower Gulf states had Wilson's. My brother in law was president of Wilson's (non-family member) prior to the purchase of the business by SM. These were all originally family jewelry stores with multiple locations which sought to expand their footprint by using the common catalogue showroom experience. All part of the retail evolution.

Wal-Mart took their lunch money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Merchandise

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I worked there at that Service Merchandise. I was in the Sight and Sound department, clock radios, calculators, cameras and the like. There were SM stores around the country as a central buying service created a catalogue for shoppers and prominent local jewelry stores, usually with several locations, joined the service and expanded their offerings to outdoor furniture, home appliances, and quite a bit more. Jewelry was the centerpiece of each store as it was the major profit driver and the origin of the original participants. South Carolina had Sam Solomon, a Service Merchandise member. Louisiana and the lower Gulf states had Wilson's. My brother in law was president of Wilson's (non-family member) prior to the purchase of the business by SM. These were all originally family jewelry stores with multiple locations which sought to expand their footprint by using the common catalogue showroom experience. All part of the retail evolution.

Wal-Mart took their lunch money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Merchandise

I remember you.  I bought something there in 1995 one time.  Back in NY, we had Present Company, which was the same concept.  They went under too eventually.  

Ok, someone is gonna get upset that we’re not talking about SP anymore... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, turbocraig said:

I remember you.  I bought something there in 1995 one time.  Back in NY, we had Present Company, which was the same concept.  They went under too eventually.  

Ok, someone is gonna get upset that we’re not talking about SP anymore... 

No because Zayre or Service Merchandise might be revived by Simon as they are throwing a lifeline to Forever 21 so who knows retro chains might come back! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Looks like the SP Macy’s is safe after all.  They announced their list of closures and the only NC location closing is Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/07/macys-store-closings-2020-list-more-than-dozen-stores-shutter/2829013001/

This was already known. The 125 stores are in addition to the 30 stores announced earlier this year, I believe. 

• Like 1

Yesterday while I was walking around SP, I noticed there was a facade up at the former Tesla store in the Neiman wing that said Coming Soon: St. John.  This could only have meant one thing:  St. John is downsizing and something is replacing their original store!  I immediately went over to St. John and asked them if they knew. Drum roll please...............Gucci!  This is huge news for SP and for Charlotte in general as Gucci is one of the biggest brands in fashion (even though sometimes I feel like their clothes and shoes are ugly).  That space is huge so I’m thinking they will carry ready to wear as well as couture.  More Italian brands si per favore! Bravo SP!

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Yesterday while I was walking around SP, I noticed there was a facade up at the former Tesla store in the Neiman wing that said Coming Soon: St. John.  This could only have meant one thing:  St. John is downsizing and something is replacing their original store!  I immediately went over to St. John and asked them if they knew. Drum roll please...............Gucci!  This is huge news for SP and for Charlotte in general as Gucci is one of the biggest brands in fashion (even though sometimes I feel like their clothes and shoes are ugly).  That space is huge so I’m thinking they will carry ready to wear as well as couture.  More Italian brands si per favore! Bravo SP!

Hey that’s even better than Zayre!

• Haha 2