SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The only thing I know about Albany is that dystopian capitol complex... which is unfortunate

Conceived by Governor Rockefeller because he was embarrassed of the city during a royal visit and wanted Albany to feel more cosmopolitan.  Dystopian is a great word for it.  The Egg is cool though. 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s one of the few bad buildings.  Other than that, Albany’s architecture is gorgeous.  Limited examples are posted below.  

A nice thing about Albany too is that it's 2 hours from NYC or Boston and 3 hours from Montreal.  Saratoga, which is a suburb of Albany, has an STUNNING downtown.

If you like old buildings, Northeastern Cities have no peer within the U.S.  Another insanely gorgeous N.E. city that's on no one's radar is Providence, R.I.

94337EB6-1677-4A6F-A8B0-E5C6401AA28E.png

DB7EAF75-9D6C-4147-A0AF-F58A40534A07.png

2165D0A6-4B64-4F8C-9BC2-2DD47D69BD6C.jpeg

1ECA9DC1-6A5C-4A3C-A9F8-37F85F15DF1A.png

C0655E61-94C2-49FE-AB71-CD41B7BF474F.png

691C2BB6-8DE3-422F-B7EB-28814AD82D8E.png

A4787535-9F1F-4190-B539-CAE83E15717C.png

It has no shortage of beautiful old buildings for sure.  Still not a fashion mecca.  ;)   And I grew up about 30 mins from Saratoga.  Love that place.  “It’s the August place to be”. 

• Like 2

^^Yes that was the mall and I had a postcard like that.  Belk to left and Iveys now Dillards to the left and at the top left of the photo was Sears long since flatten down at the Urban Outfitters Dicks end of the mall.   Macys first Thalhimers then Hechts then Macys is where that parking lot is next the mall center top. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

There was an outbuilding which is partially seen at the very topmost of this photo which had South Park cinemas I and II and an American Express travel center.

Yes I had a travel agent I liked at the AMEX Travel agency there back when people really used travel agents.    Plus there was a Harris Teeter store there in that strip center with the movie theater the 3 screens and the travel agency. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

With the internet there has been disintermediation, which means the intermediary has been extinguished in many transactions, such as travel agent, stock broker and other professions which used to control access to transactions. Now the people who use the intermediary are the wealthy who can book NetJets with their agent and have personal wealth consultants who follow their investments and personal accountants rather than Turbotax and so on. The high school counselor used to be the gatekeeper to post secondary education but now the affluent pay an educational advisor to assist with college applications while the rest do their research on their  own.

Travel agents work for companies and the affluent now, not hoi polloi.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nashbill said:

tarhoosier, you win the prize for using a word with the most syllables.  Wow!  Happy you put the definition.  I hope you know I am kidding.  Was this comment supposed to blue. I am not certain why comments I have seen are in blue text.

we do blue writing when writing something we know is the not the truth or stretching the truth sometimes to make a point.  For example Walmart will be opening a store in the Macys space at the mall due to Macy's problems.  Then Tiffanys pulls out of the mall and is replaced with a fake cubic zirconia diamond store.   something like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Those who have survived recall a time when the ONLY way to book overseas travel was to use an agent. There was no computer aided software for taxes, just accountants, same for investments. One paid for magazines for basic buying advice and AAA membership to receive travel plans, trip maps, travel warnings and such. One bought what was on offer or was without. 

Michael Dell became a billionaire by making computers customized to customers and selling direct. Now all the wisdom(?) of the crowd is in your pocket.

disintermediation

I remember AAA Triptix!  A week after my 23rd bday in June, 1994, I went to our local AAA office and had them print me up one of those continually unfolding brochure-type things that planned your route from points A to B.  I used it to drive from NY to CLT to visit some friends here for a week.  I literally never went back.  I called my parents to inform them and then asked if they could at some point drive down here and while they were at it, bring all of my sh!t with them.  Theeeeenks!  

Ok. now I'm feeling like I'm helping to derail this thread again. :stop:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I drove round SouthPark this afternoon and it was the day after the neutron bomb experience. No cars, no people, no movement. I half expected deer and wildlife to be browsing the shrubbery. Landscape care has been suspended. Random wrappers blowing in the breeze. I drove under the main building where the underground parking is (was?) and much of the lighting is unilluminated and it is spooky and perfect for crime events of the worst kind: body drops, drug exchanges, gang shootouts (if you are interested). An occasional parked auto, forlorn, and I wondered how long it had been there and to whom it belongs. My wife said "This is too creepy, let's get out of here."

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, sclark said:

This downturn is going to wipe several big-box retailers that were already hanging on the edge. I wonder what other retailer can even fill that space. Isn’t Neiman Marcus three floors?

2 hours ago, Third Strike said:

This downturn is going to wipe several big-box retailers that were already hanging on the edge. I wonder what other retailer can even fill that space. Isn’t Neiman Marcus three floors?

It’s 2 floors here.  The Lenox Square location in Atlanta is 3 floors.  A friend of mine who works at the Lenox location told me that they were in the process of remodeling/expanding their men’s department.  I’m wondering though, bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily mean they are closing though no? Wishful thinking 

Edited by Temeteron

• 2 weeks later...
I drove round SouthPark this afternoon and it was the day after the neutron bomb experience. No cars, no people, no movement. I half expected deer and wildlife to be browsing the shrubbery. Landscape care has been suspended. Random wrappers blowing in the breeze. I drove under the main building where the underground parking is (was?) and much of the lighting is unilluminated and it is spooky and perfect for crime events of the worst kind: body drops, drug exchanges, gang shootouts (if you are interested). An occasional parked auto, forlorn, and I wondered how long it had been there and to whom it belongs. My wife said "This is too creepy, let's get out of here."

I was shocked walking my dog today to see the entrance for SouthPark had been mowed. When I go outside my building for a cigarette break, the weeds in the shrubs outside of Paul Simon have gone full-sprout mode sporting daffodils and the other night I saw a raccoon family congregating underneath the Crate & Barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2