SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

1 hour ago, charlotteparadox said:

I was shocked walking my dog today to see the entrance for SouthPark had been mowed. When I go outside my building for a cigarette break, the weeds in the shrubs outside of Paul Simon have gone full-sprout mode sporting daffodils and the other night I saw a raccoon family congregating underneath the Crate & Barrel.

South Park is turning into a "Wildlife is returning" meme with racoons galivanting through urban outfitters.

• Haha 3

Drove by the mall yesterday and it is really embarrassing that Simon is not being held accountable for the property.  City code says grass can't be that high.  Simon has assets of 31 billion.  Surely they can afford a lawn crew every other week.   Everyone else needs to mow their lawn...  

• Like 3

J. Crew declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection today. This will also impact their Madewell stores which have a location at South Park and Atherton Mill. Control of the company has been handed over to top creditors like Anchorage Capital. Will be interesting to see their strategy for recouping their losses and how many stores close. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/business/j-crew-bankruptcy-coronavirus.html

Good article on how this pandemic will impact the malls in the Charlotte area:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/217616/a-crisis-for-big-retail-in-charlotte-awaits-on-the-other-side-of-a-shutdown/

The silver-lining is that this could give us an opportunity to transform many of these malls into mixed-use developments, and to create a true “downtown” for places like SouthPark. 

• Thanks 1

in statewide mall news Northwood Retail (Ballantyne owner) closed forever Northgate Mall today.  Macys and Sears both had closed and the Macys was bought by Duke Medicine.  This would be a full redevelopment I am sure.   This was a C mall anyway  the Durham Chapel Hill A mall like Southpark is the Streets of Southpoint.  

The owner of North Point Mall in Alpharetta north of ATL is adding apartments and a restaurant row there and as the owner of Carolina Place I would expect something like to happen there too in Pineville. 

• Like 4

Nordstrom is announcing the final closure of 16 stores across the country of their 116 stores.  Only one has been identified in Fort Worth TX but I am guessing neither of the stores in NC Southpark and at the Streets of Southpoint would be on that list.   I think they will close a few in California where they have a lot and even operating a department store that is much more onerous than other states.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nordstrom-will-close-16-stores-list-2020-5

does anyone know how the Southpark store does?  I would think pretty well.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nordstrom is announcing the final closure of 16 stores across the country of their 116 stores.  Only one has been identified in Fort Worth TX but I am guessing neither of the stores in NC Southpark and at the Streets of Southpoint would be on that list.   I think they will close a few in California where they have a lot and even operating a department store that is much more onerous than other states.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nordstrom-will-close-16-stores-list-2020-5

does anyone know how the Southpark store does?  I would think pretty well.  

I saw Short Pump Town Center in Richmond is also losing Nordstrom too. I think that will be as close to home as we get. It's true, CA has tons of locations in various suburban outlets, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them close. 

4 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I saw Short Pump Town Center in Richmond is also losing Nordstrom too. I think that will be as close to home as we get. It's true, CA has tons of locations in various suburban outlets, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them close. 

Just saw Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento is closing too so that is 3 of the 16 identified.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:46 PM, KJHburg said:

in statewide mall news Northwood Retail (Ballantyne owner) closed forever Northgate Mall today.  Macys and Sears both had closed and the Macys was bought by Duke Medicine.  This would be a full redevelopment I am sure.   This was a C mall anyway  the Durham Chapel Hill A mall like Southpark is the Streets of Southpoint.  

The owner of North Point Mall in Alpharetta north of ATL is adding apartments and a restaurant row there and as the owner of Carolina Place I would expect something like to happen there too in Pineville. 

The Northgate Mall was horrendous.  It's in a terrible area of Durham and felt unsafe.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Old news.  They will close several but not all locations as of now 

Honestly, I can see the suburban Chicago (Northbrook & Oak Brook), Florida (Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa), Natick, and Willow Bend, and maybe St. Louis and NJ or Long Island stores closing. I think Charlotte is not on the immediate chopping block, just because there is only one NM in the state, and it has a luxury level even above Nordstrom. But if it were to happen, I also wouldn't be surprised. 

Edited by Rufus
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Honestly, I can see the suburban Chicago (Northbrook & Oak Brook), Florida (Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa), Natick, and Willow Bend, and maybe St. Louis and NJ or Long Island stores closing. I think Charlotte is not on the immediate chopping block, just because there is only one NM in the state, and it has a luxury level even above Nordstrom. But if it were to happen, I also wouldn't be surprised. 

I agree.  I don’t think it’s on the first round (hopefully there won’t be another round).  But I can see other markets like Southern California, FL  and even Dallas Metroplex that are oversaturated.  

as for the Nordstrom closings my hunch was right California will have the most

WWD has learned that six California stores — Santa Monica, Riverside, Escondido, Sacramento, Pleasanton and Montclair — won’t ever reopen. Since March 17, Nordstrom has kept all of its stores temporarily closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Other store locations to close San Juan PR, Richmond VA,  Fort Worth Hurst TX, Broomfield CO,  Chandler AZ Freehold NJ, Annapolis MD, Naples FL, Happy Valley OR,  Miami (whoa!)  I am guessing this means Dadeland but they do have a store in nearby Coral Gables. 

https://wwd.com/business-news/retail/nordstrom-store-closings-1203630113/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

as for the Nordstrom closings my hunch was right California will have the most

WWD has learned that six California stores — Santa Monica, Riverside, Escondido, Sacramento, Pleasanton and Montclair — won’t ever reopen. Since March 17, Nordstrom has kept all of its stores temporarily closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Other store locations to close San Juan PR, Richmond VA,  Fort Worth Hurst TX, Broomfield CO,  Chandler AZ Freehold NJ, Annapolis MD, Naples FL, Happy Valley OR,  Miami (whoa!)  I am guessing this means Dadeland but they do have a store in nearby Coral Gables. 

https://wwd.com/business-news/retail/nordstrom-store-closings-1203630113/

Not surprised about Miami. South Florida is so oversaturated with high-end malls, and they are mainly in the suburbs. Miami should focus on Brickell and the Design District, and let the other malls compete with Nordstrom. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Naples, Florida is obscenely rich, and the Waterside Shops where the store is located is one of the fanciest malls in the country, along with the Bal Harbor Shops in Miami.  I find this shocking.

It  is rich area but population count is low and it swells in winter with snow birds might be tougher in the summer to get the sales.    Collier county where Naples has only 384,000 people

• Like 1

I drove by SP today thinking they opened but they actually open tomorrow.  The department stores all had a “curbside pick up” assuming this was for online orders?  What a crazy weekend to open back (Mother’s Day).  It will be interesting to see how they handle the crowds.  

I am good friends here in DC with a woman who used to run all of the visual merchandising for all of the Nordstrom stores in DC, Virginia, NC, and Atlanta. Outside of the ones in DC (the one in Tyson's was the first Nordstrom on the East Coast, as is an absolutely fabulous store) she always said that her favorite Nordstrom to visit was the one in SP. I asked her if she thought it did well, and she mentioned to me a couple of times that they wanted to add another level onto the store, which I take to mean yes.

Shame about the Richmond store, but I think the company is moving away from smaller, more marginal markets. They recently closed stores in Norfolk and Providence, for example. 

Nordstrom is the one department store I truly like. I think they offer a great selection of products, from designer to non-designer, and their customer service and return policy are phenomenal. They literally take anything back and don't have a physical return policy. 

• Like 2

When Nordstrom opened here it was my first experience with the store. I went to Mens shirts as my guide. Belk (and others) have a plain white store brand dress shirt from 49$ a better from 59 or 69$ and their best store brand 89 and then up from there. Nordstrom had the 89$ shirt and up, with top brands above Belk top brand. And the quality is reflected in the price.  That seems true throughout the departments of the store.

It is easier to shop for my wife at Nordstrom as they have none of the lower level women's wear. No guessing for me or sad choices due to my unfamiliarity with budget tailoring and such. In Belk (and others) there is all the store brand, standard brand, common brands, mixed with leased areas, designer areas and they all blend together so it takes some help from the clerks for me to make my way around. Not at Nordstrom. Plus the men and women sections are not as large as Belk/Dillard, so navigable.

• Like 1

Update*** 

I went in today planning to go to the Apple store.  Wasn’t open.  Many people including myself were wandering around trying to find something open. Louis Vuitton had a line wrapped around the store.  I think Pandora, David Yurman and Fink’s were the only other stores open.  Extremely bizarre!  I got a chance to ask a security guard and he told me that even though the law allows store to open, each store can open at their own pace.  I would imagine some of the smaller stores might have trouble finding employees or scheduling.  The GNC store was completely emptied out.  Not sure if they closed permanently or what.  Very bizarre and sad to see the mall like this :(

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

When Nordstrom opened here it was my first experience with the store. I went to Mens shirts as my guide. Belk (and others) have a plain white store brand dress shirt from 49$ a better from 59 or 69$ and their best store brand 89 and then up from there. Nordstrom had the 89$ shirt and up, with top brands above Belk top brand. And the quality is reflected in the price.  That seems true throughout the departments of the store.

It is easier to shop for my wife at Nordstrom as they have none of the lower level women's wear. No guessing for me or sad choices due to my unfamiliarity with budget tailoring and such. In Belk (and others) there is all the store brand, standard brand, common brands, mixed with leased areas, designer areas and they all blend together so it takes some help from the clerks for me to make my way around. Not at Nordstrom. Plus the men and women sections are not as large as Belk/Dillard, so navigable.

Agreed, Nordstrom is definitely one of my favorite department stores, it’s extremely simple to navigate and the prices reflect their quality. 

Edited by Cadi40

11 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I am good friends here in DC with a woman who used to run all of the visual merchandising for all of the Nordstrom stores in DC, Virginia, NC, and Atlanta. Outside of the ones in DC (the one in Tyson's was the first Nordstrom on the East Coast, as is an absolutely fabulous store) she always said that her favorite Nordstrom to visit was the one in SP. I asked her if she thought it did well, and she mentioned to me a couple of times that they wanted to add another level onto the store, which I take to mean yes.

Shame about the Richmond store, but I think the company is moving away from smaller, more marginal markets. They recently closed stores in Norfolk and Providence, for example. 

Nordstrom is the one department store I truly like. I think they offer a great selection of products, from designer to non-designer, and their customer service and return policy are phenomenal. They literally take anything back and don't have a physical return policy. 

Yes the Tysons Nordstrom was the first one in the east and that mall is high performing.  Nordstrom Southpark always seem to be more crowded than other department stores per square foot.   

Return policy and this is a legendary story from their history.  Nordstrom took over an Alaksan department store and that one sold tires.  Yes Nordstrom took back a return of 4 tires they never sold but their previous store that they bought did.   Neiman Marcus is very good in that area today.  I had order one bag for my mother by catalog and got 20 in a huge box.  I took the huge box down to the Mazza Gallerie store in DC and they were "excited" to take my return back as they had sold out of this bag and needed more inventory.  Never forgot that!    Speaking of mother,  Happy Mothers Day!  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3