SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

• 4 weeks later...

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This would be a good tenant for a recently vacant spaces in SouthPark Mall like this new Amazon store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article243266101.html

Those Amazon bookstores are cool, as long as you have an Amazon account you don't even need to pay for anything in the store and they carry a pretty curated selection of stuff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

As part of GNC's bankruptcy, their first wave of store closings includes the South Park Mall location next to Cheesecake Factory.

The Arboretum and Blakeney are the other GNC closures in Charlotte.

Yeah I remember GNC at SP closed  back in April.  No loss there.  They are way overpriced.  I always go to Charlotte Supplements for my vitamins.  Locally owned and they have way more variety and better prices. 

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Microsoft is permanently closing its retail stores, 83 in total including Southpark. Moving to online retail. 

That sucks.  Honestly I would never see many people in there even pre Covid.  I’m wondering if Gucci is still opening as originally planned in the old St John space. 

• Like 1

Interesting run for Microsoft Stores. A little over 10 years in operation, peaked at 107 stores in US, 10 overseas.

The first Apple store opened 2001 and stands today at 511 world wide (271 US / 238 overseas) and of course they enjoy, by far, the highest sales per square foot of any retailer.

To keep the old 1990's meme alive, Apple is Doomed ;)

• Like 2

I know their sales with these Microsoft stores were not anywhere near Apple but I thought it was to showcase their brand, games, devices etc.  I guess not.  

Apple is truly one of the best run stores per sq ft of sales but does everyone (don't have an Apple) buy their phones there or computers?  You don't buy them online I dont know not their customer.

• Like 1

^^ and with good reason. The ones that are not in a traditional mall are stand out examples of a certain kind of architecture and space-making. I'm sure there's probably a better term to describe it but there are some really incredible stores out there. First link is a poor representation but at least a sampling of some of them. Better pics on the second and third link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+store+architecture

https://www.mactrast.com/2019/03/most-stunning-apple-stores-around-the-world/

https://www.archdaily.com/tag/apple-store

I believe The Art of Shaving has also permanently closed at SouthPark. In other news, it looked like work was going on in the former St John space which gives me hope Gucci is still planning to open there. The new St John is still under construction. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:46 AM, TheOneRJ said:

I believe The Art of Shaving has also permanently closed at SouthPark. In other news, it looked like work was going on in the former St John space which gives me hope Gucci is still planning to open there. The new St John is still under construction. 

How do we know Gucci is going at St. Johns. I see the permit, but I have no idea how to find suite/unit numbers in Southpark. It used to be on Simon website but now they don't list it. HELP haha

6 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

How do we know Gucci is going at St. Johns. I see the permit, but I have no idea how to find suite/unit numbers in Southpark. It used to be on Simon website but now they don't list it. HELP haha

I asked the manager at St John and she confirmed 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is an interesting article about the American malls with the highest revenue.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/03/the-10-most-valuable-malls-in-america-before-the-coronavirus-pandemic.html

I have been to 7 of them it is amazing several are off price outlet type malls including #1 Sawgrass Mills.    Southpark Mall is the top performing mall in the Carolinas for sure.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I have been to 7 of them it is amazing several are off price outlet type malls including #1 Sawgrass Mills.    Southpark Mall is the top performing mall in the Carolinas for sure.  

I like the setup of Streets at SouthPointe better (at least the outdoor portion), but SouthPark is obviously the best mall in the Carolinas.

I know that practically no one agrees with me, but I'd love to see SouthPark razed and rebuilt as a smaller, outdoor, higher end mall with condos, hotels, theaters, and parks.   

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=290683370

Gucci is Unit M19, Coach is Unit M21 (directly beside), lululemon is Unit M24, Palmetto Moon is Unit M26

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, sakami said:

I’m hearing that all of the Hanna Andersson stores in the US are closing. The SP store has been completely emptied of inventory. Not a big deal for most but it was one of the few children’s clothing stores left in the mall. 

Wow, we buy stuff from Hanna Andersson for our kids all the time! Is the company going under?

4 hours ago, sakami said:

I’m hearing that all of the Hanna Andersson stores in the US are closing. The SP store has been completely emptied of inventory. Not a big deal for most but it was one of the few children’s clothing stores left in the mall. 

Demographic realities in the United States!

https://www.fastcompany.com/90522612/why-covid-could-cause-a-decline-in-u-s-birthrates-and-what-it-means-for-the-following-decades