SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

14 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

A few years back there was a Target-anchored proposal on land south of Fairview near Zoes and Ruth's Chris. That fell apart at some point - pretty sure that land was developed with something else.

Massive new assisted living retirement home went back in there and a Canopy by Hilton Hotel got built. This video from the blog of the retirement home gives a little overview: https://www.barclayatsouthpark.com/news/the-barclay-at-south-park-on-a-sunday-morning

• Thanks 1

Just now, CLT2014 said:

Massive new assisted living retirement home went back in there and a Canopy by Hilton Hotel got built. This video from the blog of the retirement home gives a little overview: https://www.barclayatsouthpark.com/news/the-barclay-at-south-park-on-a-sunday-morning

Wow, thanks. I feel like I really don't have a good comprehension of how much housing has been added in South Park over the past couple of years. 

actually a Target is a great idea for the mall IF an anchor spot opens up but I dont see that happening.  Behind the twin towers at 6000 6100 Fairview one was proposed but now the Barclay sits there. I doubt any of those office towers would go either I would say the best opportunity is the Colony site.   And you are right a discount retailer of any sort would kill it there. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Is there room at the new development at Colony for a Target? 

The site plan looks like they planned the anchor pads around the Publix and Life Time Fitness that signed on already and the rest of the square footage is focused on restaurants / smaller shops. Looks like 2 - 3 offerings are roughly TJMaxx, Michael's, et. sized stores. 
https://www.thecolonyredevelopment.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious what the UPers think about the stores closing at SouthPark Mall. My mom and dad were in town and commented how COVID was gonna kill the mall, but I'd argue the opposite. While I hate to see stores closing, I think this could be a golden opportunity. I don't doubt there's countless companies with their eyes on the mall who haven't been able to get a spot. Look at Gucci for example, to think they "just now" decided they wanted a SouthPark location is silly, I think Charlottians sometimes sell the mall short in terms of it's national relevance, or even international relevance in regards to it's appeal for brick and mortar stores. In addition, considering the state of many malls across the country, the sight of an economically viable and profitable mall must be a shining beacon in a tough retail market. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I'm curious what the UPers think about the stores closing at SouthPark Mall. My mom and dad were in town and commented how COVID was gonna kill the mall, but I'd argue the opposite. While I hate to see stores closing, I think this could be a golden opportunity. I don't doubt there's countless companies with their eyes on the mall who haven't been able to get a spot. Look at Gucci for example, to think they "just now" decided they wanted a SouthPark location is silly, I think Charlottians sometimes sell the mall short in terms of it's national relevance, or even international relevance in regards to it's appeal for brick and mortar stores. In addition, considering the state of many malls across the country, the sight of an economically viable and profitable mall must be a shining beacon in a tough retail market. 

This mall in particular Southpark is our Triple A mall though stores will come and go it will be around.  Other malls may have more redevelopment.  Every major metro has at least one AAA mall and this ours.  Tysons Corner Center in DC is their AAA or King of Prussia in suburban Philly or NorthPark in Dallas or South Coast Plaza in Orange County or Houston Galleria there. 

• Like 2

Well, Trina Turk In the Neiman wing is permanently closed.  They lasted for about a year.  Meanwhile, the new Downsized St. John has opened finally.  This wing seems to constantly change.  They haven’t found tenants that are strong enough to stay.  I think it’s a combination of the Covid situation but also that side of the mall doesn’t get as much foot traffic 

18 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Well, Trina Turk In the Neiman wing is permanently closed.  They lasted for about a year.  Meanwhile, the new Downsized St. John has opened finally.  This wing seems to constantly change.  They haven’t found tenants that are strong enough to stay.  I think it’s a combination of the Covid situation but also that side of the mall doesn’t get as much foot traffic 

Meanwhile there is a line 30 people deep usually at Louis Vuitton just waiting to get inside. Trina Turk missed the swimwear season for the Charlotte market post COVID and is down to just 5 locations nationwide. 

Also Frye is definitely closed, they shut down retail ops nationwide: "After careful consideration, we have made the difficult decision to close all of our retail locations. We have loved being a part of your communities and remain committed to providing the best-in-class service to all of our customers shopping with us online at www.thefryecompany.com. Our online store offers the largest assortment of Frye footwear and a hassle free shopping experience with free shipping and returns." https://www.thefryecompany.com/pages/customer-care

Edited by CLT2014

Growing up in Albany, Lord and Taylor was the place to shop. My mom loved their dress selection, and she says she remembers them having a nice children's section as well. I have fond memories of going to their restaurant and getting chocolate frozen yogurt in their Manhasset Long Island location with my grandmother. My mom was pretty disappointed when they left Albany during their 2003 bankruptcy.  For those of you that haven't been to a Lord and Taylor, I would say it's basically a Northeastern version of Nordstrom. Almost like a Bloomingdales but not as stuffy but still sells essentially the same upscale merchandise. 

I knew the chain had to be in trouble when they announced they were leaving Tyson's Corner mall outside DC, which is an extremely profitable mall.  

I'm not sure how valuable the name is. It's really only known in the NE Corridor and maybe South Florida with all the transplants there. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Growing up in Albany, Lord and Taylor was the place to shop. My mom loved their dress selection, and she says she remembers them having a nice children's section as well. I have fond memories of going to their restaurant and getting chocolate frozen yogurt in their Manhasset Long Island location with my grandmother. My mom was pretty disappointed when they left Albany during their 2003 bankruptcy.  For those of you that haven't been to a Lord and Taylor, I would say it's basically a Northeastern version of Nordstrom. Almost like a Bloomingdales but not as stuffy but still sells essentially the same upscale merchandise. 

I knew the chain had to be in trouble when they announced they were leaving Tyson's Corner mall outside DC, which is an extremely profitable mall.  

I'm not sure how valuable the name is. It's really only known in the NE Corridor and maybe South Florida with all the transplants there. 

Lord and Taylor is or was big in the Boston Washington corridor and south Florida.  Not sure if that name is worth something down here as they long closed their store in Raleigh's Crabtree Valley and once many moons ago were the other anchor for the Arboretum outdoor mall that was going to have a Belks and Lord & Taylor now home of Walmart and Harris Teeter among others.   I think they closed their Atlanta stores years ago too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Lord and Taylor is or was big in the Boston Washington corridor and south Florida.  Not sure if that name is worth something down here as they long closed their store in Raleigh's Crabtree Valley and once many moons ago were the other anchor for the Arboretum outdoor mall that was going to have a Belks and Lord & Taylor now home of Walmart and Harris Teeter among others.   I think they closed their Atlanta stores years ago too. 

Arboretum was going to be an actual mall? This is the first I have heard of this! 

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

there was such an uproar back in the 80s over it neighbors fighting it, it became what it is today.  Then Belks went to Carolina Place but this was their first south Charlotte choice.  It  was a fight rezoning battle.   But it was going to be Belks and Lord & Taylor as anchors in an open air mall.  

Man those people hurt their property value by like 10%. They could have been near an upscale open air mall and instead got a Walmart, McDonald's, and ABC Store, LOL

Granted, it is more convenient to grab your toilet paper and cleaning products at a Walmart during a pandemic than another dying department store. 

Edited by CLT2014

Well, if Belk wants to be national, it needs to be in the Northeast.  Buying JCPenney seems to be a poor move: the lower-middle tier is a tough place to be, but that doesn’t seem to be happening anyway.  And opening a bunch of Belk stores in, say, Manhattan might not go over well.

Surely L&T’s brand is worth something, if only on a regional level.  I recall seeing that Lord & Taylor was ranked first in terms of customer loyalty among department stores, or something.

Edited by Cityplanner
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 2:20 PM, Temeteron said:

I believe they finally got a tenant choice right for once with the upcoming Gucci store.

Edit: Gucci will be opening December 15. 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, Cityplanner said:

Well, if Belk wants to be national, it needs to be in the Northeast.  Buying JCPenney seems to be a poor move: the lower-middle tier is a tough place to be, but that doesn’t seem to be happening anyway.  And opening a bunch of Belk stores in, say, Manhattan might not go over well.

Belk's owners didn't win. Simon and Brookfield are the ones acquiring JCPenney.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

A little late, but the Gucci store is now open at SouthPark. Only location in NC. 

A77F36F2-7F86-43C6-B93C-5B31B47E247F.jpeg

B9EF7696-B3DD-41B3-8242-EEBCF2403A54.jpeg

Yeah I saw that it opened literally right before Christmas.  It’s interesting that Charleston and Nashville had a location way before we did.  However neither have a Neiman Marcus. That might have played a role.  Now that the Gucci store opened NM does not carry as much of their merchandise anymore.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Yeah I saw that it opened literally right before Christmas.  It’s interesting that Charleston and Nashville had a location way before we did.  However neither have a Neiman Marcus. That might have played a role.  Now that the Gucci store opened NM does not carry as much of their merchandise anymore.  

Charleston and Nashville have significantly more tourists / leisure visitors from across the country than we do that shop while on vacation. Your average flight into Charlotte doesn't have many people saying "Oh yeah, just flying into Charlotte for the weekend to see the sights and vacation." Our visitors are business travelers, visiting family / friends that live here, or regional (within 4 hours drive). In addition, the entertainment industry in Nashville leads to a likely greater portion of the population where Gucci fashion might benefit their career, et. compared to Charlotte. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1