SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is more about Simon owner of Southpark, Concord Mills and half owner of the Charlotte Premium outlets.  They are giving back a slew of malls to their lenders including one possibly in Gaffney.   Southpark is one of their best performing and Concord Mills does great too.

'We Wish That New Owner The Best Of Luck': Simon Continues Handing Back Struggling Malls (bisnow.com)

Interesting.  Meanwhile, another closing: Ann Taylor.  
Good news: Apple Store has reopened but still in express concept.  

I think there have been enough closings to shift around some stores and make room for a Zara for sure.  We haven’t seen this big of a vacancy in a while. 

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is more about Simon owner of Southpark, Concord Mills and half owner of the Charlotte Premium outlets.  They are giving back a slew of malls to their lenders including one possibly in Gaffney.   Southpark is one of their best performing and Concord Mills does great too.

'We Wish That New Owner The Best Of Luck': Simon Continues Handing Back Struggling Malls (bisnow.com)

I remember stopping by the Gaffney Outlets about 3 years ago and thought there was a lot of vacant storefronts in the center!

• Thanks 1

Charlotte is the only place in NC with relatively high-end retail.   The Triangle doesn't really have any of that stuff -- not that I go to those stores anyway.  I used to buy a lot of things at Brooks Brothers, Thomas Pink, Church's shoes, and Links of London (and other cufflinks at Tiffany's), but that was when I worked in an office.  Now that I work from home, I don't shop in any of those places anyway.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss that VINCE is opening at Southpark? Love their clothing, and I think they appeal to a great demo here in Charlotte. Definitely a great measuring stick if we want stores like Club Monaco, Theory, and Zara. 

VINCE and Saint Laurent are great additions to the area. Can't wait to see where VINCE goes.

• Like 3

Southpark used to have a Cinnabon and these stores work best where their smell can waft through the air.  Malls, truck stops, airports etc are great locations.  My sister in law always gets one on her way back to Europe at CLT airport.   

and I love an original Orange Julius! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

A Black-owned business’ lease is terminated early at SouthPark. Owners want to know why. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article249628383.html

what are your thoughts on this?

It's tough because a temporary lease allowed for early termination. From an optics perspective, and a diversification/accessibility perspective, it's not a good look.  Sounds like Simon wasn't up front with their expectations, and No Grease knew what they wanted and went with it, and are now in the hole because of that miscommunication. I do hope it is resolved, and they are given a new location or something out of this. It really sounds like someone at Simon dropped the ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cityplanner said:

That’s blatant racism: tricking people into spending $70,000 to build out a store and then canceling the lease.

I don’t think they tricked them into doing the renovations.  If the lease was short term and they understood that.  

19 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Who would do any renovations (that you can't take with you anyways) to a space on a short term lease???  You extend lease THEN do reno. 

Exactly- nobody would spend $70k to build out a store with an expectation that the right to use the space could be revoked at any time. 

From what I've read, the owners of No Grease (which I patronized when I lived in Charlotte and still do whenever I visit and need to get lined up) were aware of the terms of the temporary lease, but because of their existing business relationship with Simon Property Group, they thought that the lease would be honored for the full year. They are a successful, well-regarded locally-owned business and it was smart of the owners to generate a bit of publicity in order to get a response from the community.  They said they didn't believe they were discriminated against, but I guess they got a real taste of how shrewd business can be sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1