SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

On 3/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, Temeteron said:

A Black-owned business’ lease is terminated early at SouthPark. Owners want to know why. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article249628383.html

what are your thoughts on this?

Late to the party on this one, but I think it's a PR blunder on the part of Simon Malls IMO. Especially considering all that's happened in the past year or so. A successful black owned business is a good thing for Southpark IMO. Southpark has always been perceived as lily white, and this was a good opportunity to shed that image. And it's not like this is some urban wear store that doesn't fit the high end image of the shopping center, it's a concept from a well regarded barbershop that plays into the theme of the original "Art of Shaving" store that took that place for so long. What shocked me, if anything, was how inexpensive the spot was. 4k a month for the first spot most people see coming in from the underground parking (sans the Tinderbox.) Yes, they could've, and should've forseen the possibility that the lease could've been terminated, I'll give you that, but all things considered, the mall should be happy to have the added diversity (business wise) into their retail offerings. Does anyone have any speculation as to what could've commanded such a rash and eager response to terminate the lease on such short notice? I can't think of a store that would command that response outside of a "luxury wing" contender. 

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

Late to the party on this one, but I think it's a PR blunder on the part of Simon Malls IMO. Especially considering all that's happened in the past year or so. A successful black owned business is a good thing for Southpark IMO. Southpark has always been perceived as lily white, and this was a good opportunity to shed that image. And it's not like this is some urban wear store that doesn't fit the high end image of the shopping center, it's a concept from a well regarded barbershop that plays into the theme of the original "Art of Shaving" store that took that place for so long. What shocked me, if anything, was how inexpensive the spot was. 4k a month for the first spot most people see coming in from the underground parking (sans the Tinderbox.) Yes, they could've, and should've forseen the possibility that the lease could've been terminated, I'll give you that, but all things considered, the mall should be happy to have the added diversity (business wise) into their retail offerings. Does anyone have any speculation as to what could've commanded such a rash and eager response to terminate the lease on such short notice? I can't think of a store that would command that response outside of a "luxury wing" contender. 

I’m happy for them and hope everything works out but jeez with the $70k they spent they could’ve had better lighting and aesthetics lol

4 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I’m happy for them and hope everything works out but jeez with the $70k they spent they could’ve had better lighting and aesthetics lol

I was curious about that too, it seems like they had kept a lot of the fixtures from the old store. but it looks like they got new barber chairs, as well as equipment for each one of the chairs, they might also be including stuff like the initial stock of various merchandise, etc. But regardless, barbering equipment, especially good quality stuff, can cost a fortune. 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:14 PM, TheOneRJ said:

There are plenty of vacancies in the mall thanks to COVID, why does this space specifically need to be leased to whoever they are in talks with?

I don't know if "plenty" is how I'd describe it. Some retailers have also taken this time to remodel their locations, which speaks to the sheer volume Southpark normally attracts, that retailers were actually holding off on remodeling due to potential business implications. Also two of the vacancies are restaurants, not saying a conversion can't happen, but frankly Southpark has too few food options for a mall of its size. The space in question is prime due to it being at the top of the "up" escalator coming from the parking garage. Obviously not *everyone* comes in this way, but unless I'm just going for the food court, this is where I usually go first to find parking. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 4:57 PM, nakers2 said:

I don't know if "plenty" is how I'd describe it. Some retailers have also taken this time to remodel their locations, which speaks to the sheer volume Southpark normally attracts, that retailers were actually holding off on remodeling due to potential business implications. Also two of the vacancies are restaurants, not saying a conversion can't happen, but frankly Southpark has too few food options for a mall of its size. The space in question is prime due to it being at the top of the "up" escalator coming from the parking garage. Obviously not *everyone* comes in this way, but unless I'm just going for the food court, this is where I usually go first to find parking. 

There are 7 store front vacancies in the mall according to the mall map. This doesn’t include the Saint Laurent store (which has not been added to the website for whatever reason), the former California Pizza Kitchen (which is easily convertible into a decent sized store), or the newly vacant space in the food court. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, TheOneRJ said:

There are 7 store front vacancies in the mall according to the mall map. This doesn’t include the Saint Laurent store (which has not been added to the website for whatever reason), the former California Pizza Kitchen (which is easily convertible into a decent sized store), or the newly vacant space in the food court. 

The CPK would be the perfect sized location for a Zara or a Uniqlo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 5:54 PM, TylerFerreroSorel said:

Also, now that YSL is opening its own boutique at SouthPark, do you think Neiman Marcus will want to devote their YSL space to something else? Any ideas what might work there? Dior, maybe?

I'd say Ferragamo, Zegna, or MaxMara would do well if they have ever done in-store boutiques at NM. They would make a killing. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I'd say Ferragamo, Zegna, or MaxMara would do well if they have ever done in-store boutiques at NM. They would make a killing. 

They used to carry Zegna a while back and got rid of it.  The men’s dept has changed dramatically.  They used to have a huge selection of ties and scarves, hats and suits. Now it’s mostly high end sneakers and $500 t-shirts :(

I know times are tough for malls, but it would be nice to see Charlotte with more of an outdoor mall, something akin to OxfordStreet in London.  We've got decent, temperate weather.  I think it would work.  If they can attempt to replicate a shopping strip in Beverly Hills with Jacksonville's St. Johns Town Center, I believe we can do better than the assortment of enclosed centers we have.

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Does the article mention where within the mall these are going? 

Free People Movement has snapped up a 1,789-square-foot space next to The North Face near the main entrance.

Boss:  The store will be located on the upper level near Peloton.

Vince will be located across from Tommy Bahama

all from the Biz Journal article upper level?  the main mall area is one level LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 3:55 PM, Robbie Charlotte said:

I know times are tough for malls, but it would be nice to see Charlotte with more of an outdoor mall, something akin to OxfordStreet in London.  We've got decent, temperate weather.  I think it would work.  If they can attempt to replicate a shopping strip in Beverly Hills with Jacksonville's St. Johns Town Center, I believe we can do better than the assortment of enclosed centers we have.

True. I was in downtown Portland Oregon few weeks ago  and was impressed with there  downtown.  Most of the shopping was there.  Maybe charlotte good do something like Hudson Yards downtown with indoor shopping  mall in a office building.  Chicago NY Philadelphia Etc all have this in there downtowns 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:25 AM, Kofi82 said:

True. I was in downtown Portland Oregon few weeks ago  and was impressed with there  downtown.  Most of the shopping was there.  Maybe charlotte good do something like Hudson Yards downtown with indoor shopping  mall in a office building.  Chicago NY Philadelphia Etc all have this in there downtowns 

The have the walking population to support those types of urban retail. Uptown does not. SouthEnd might in a few years, and I think you will see it there. You are going to see more walkable high end shopping at the design district. 

• Like 3

On 4/22/2021 at 11:31 AM, turbocraig said:

Yes, it's that 1970's "just crawled out of the back seat of my parents' car while they smoked Parliaments with the windows up and the heat on" revival.  

Glad to see my girlfriend isn't the only one who can't differentiate between cigarettes and cigars.