SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

22 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Glad to see my girlfriend isn't the only one who can't differentiate between cigarettes and cigars.

A frequent destination of said car trips were to my parents' friends' house for their pinocle card nights.  Many cigars were smoked in that house.  One of my earliest memories was when I was probably 3 or 4 and walked up to one of those pedestal ashtrays standing near a La-Z-Boy and grabbing a lit cigar and attempting to smoke it.  Major fail.  I projectile vomited all over said ashtray and chair.  That was my last experience with cigars.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

A frequent destination of said car trips were to my parents' friends' house for their pinocle card nights.  Many cigars were smoked in that house.  One of my earliest memories was when I was probably 3 or 4 and walked up to one of those pedestal ashtrays standing near a La-Z-Boy and grabbing a lit cigar and attempting to smoke it.  Major fail.  I projectile vomited all over said ashtray and chair.  That was my last experience with cigars.

I enjoy the occasional smoke, I'm certainly not a 300 dollar a week smoke like some of the big wigs that come here. 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

The have the walking population to support those types of urban retail. Uptown does not. SouthEnd might in a few years, and I think you will see it there. You are going to see more walkable high end shopping at the design district. 

Maybe if they build it people will come. The same way they come uptown to party.  

6 minutes ago, Kofi82 said:

Maybe if they build it people will come. The same way they come uptown to party.  

You aren't wrong, highend urban retail (and I mean high end, Louis V, Gucci, Burberry) has been shown to drive highend development in the form of luxury condos and apartments, and trendy businesses. This type of retail can create IT neighborhoods. Design district in Miami, Michigan Ave condo boom from 2000-2010, GreenHills in Nashville. 

I think that area is starting in SouthEnd though, in their design district. I am not sure if having multiple small walkable highend retail spots is sustainable in Charlotte. 

• Like 1

Louis V, king of France (West Francia) 966-987, also known as Louis The Do-Nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_V_of_France

35 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

You aren't wrong, highend urban retail (and I mean high end, Louis V, Gucci, Burberry) has been shown to drive highend development in the form of luxury condos and apartments, and trendy businesses. This type of retail can create IT neighborhoods. Design district in Miami, Michigan Ave condo boom from 2000-2010, GreenHills in Nashville. 

I think that area is starting in SouthEnd though, in their design district. I am not sure if having multiple small walkable highend retail spots is sustainable in Charlotte. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TylerFerreroSorel said:

The Prada handbag boutique within Neiman Marcus is gone now... That didn’t last long at all. :tw_pensive:

Unfortunately I guess with over a year of lock downs and remote working, women didn't need to update their $500 matching accessories!:tw_expressionless:

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Golden Goose has opened next to Neiman Marcus. I think this will be another fad/trend that will fade away just like True Religion and Juicy Couture I’m afraid. I could be wrong who knows. 

I'm typically pretty open to fashion, but pre-distressed looks have always come off as... well, really stupid. Even demeaning in a way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I'm typically pretty open to fashion, but pre-distressed looks have always come off as... well, really stupid. Even demeaning in a way. 

I agree! I was in my teens through early twenties in the 80's and the distress look was making it's rounds then along with the acid wash look.  Didn't subscribe to those styles then!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TylerFerreroSorel said:

Do you guys think there's a possibility that Hermès might ever choose to re-enter the Charlotte market? Not necessarily at SouthPark,  but anywhere in the city? They are opening stores in smaller markets all over the country as of late...

The fashion in Charlotte has changed.  Once an old timey banker suit and tie type, now especially the younger generations hardly wear a tie or a suit, even for work.  And they most certainly don’t wear it for going out.  It’s unfortunate but even if you compare us with Charleston I feel like you still see more fashion in Charleston.  People just don’t like dressing up here (especially men). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

The fashion in Charlotte has changed.  Once an old timey banker suit and tie type, now especially the younger generations hardly wear a tie or a suit, even for work.  And they most certainly don’t wear it for going out.  It’s unfortunate but even if you compare us with Charleston I feel like you still see more fashion in Charleston.  People just don’t like dressing up here (especially men). 

I have to disagree, I have a blue collar job so a polo shirt and rugged pants are my "style" for work, but living Uptown I often see men my age (26), and into their 30's still sporting at least slacks and dress shirts, which I think is plenty in the summer here. Going out I see a variety of style (and yes, sometimes lack thereof) but depending where you go you still will often see young men sporting, if not suits or dress shirts, at least stylish button ups or well fitted shirts and pants. Frankly a well cut T-shirt, even an inexpensive one, can give off a classy casual vibe more than a suit in some settings, I will say though, some people do have difficulty reading the room, I've seen people both over, and under dress here, so from that perspective it's a fair critique. Charleston is more old south, I don't think it's a viable comparison but I admit I'm always compelled to pack my blazer when I visit at a minimum. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:53 AM, Skyybutter said:

I think women in Charlotte dress exceptionally well for a US city.

Really? I think women in Charlotte dress extremely basic (as do men) and exude "live, laugh, love" or "Christian Girl Autumn" vibes in their fashion choices (https://www.insidehook.com/article/internet/christian-girl-autumn-explained):

image.thumb.png.e8e2a03b2a42e2ed51e9ff7ab6419f09.png

A friend of mine from NYC says whenever she visits family in Charlotte she always has to dress down/change her attire to match the Charlotte scene (she normally likes to wear Cos, Massimo Dutti, Alex Mill, Uniqlo...basically anything minimal and "wabi sabi" as she calls it). I like those brands too, and I usually dress minimal as well, but I would never do so in Charlotte because I don't want to stick out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Really? I think women in Charlotte dress extremely basic (as do men) and exude "live, laugh, love" or "Christian Girl Autumn" vibes in their fashion choices (https://www.insidehook.com/article/internet/christian-girl-autumn-explained):

A friend of mine from NYC says whenever she visits family in Charlotte she always has to dress down/change her attire to match the Charlotte scene (she normally likes to wear Cos, Massimo Dutti, Alex Mill, Uniqlo...basically anything minimal and "wabi sabi" as she calls it). I like those brands too, and I usually dress minimal as well, but I would never do so in Charlotte because I don't want to stick out. 

So true.  It is a step up from other parts of the Carolinas but still basic in comparison to NY and CA etc

• Like 1

Went to a Hornets game. Friend there had someone he knew from business visiting for the first time. Visitor was L. A. native. Visitor said he heard much about Charlotte, Business, banking, Hornets, Panthers, etc. His comment at the game, after a few days in town, was " I don't know what people spend their money on here. It sure is not clothes"

• Haha 4

On 7/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, LKN704 said:

How did they get the same person ten different times in the same photo? Or is that a photoshop? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, LKN704 said:

Pretty much any US city is dress down compared to NYC imo.  I was speaking not as much about brands, but that Charlotte women aren't sloppy with their fashion choices. 

I lived in D.C. for a bit and I think Charlotte dresses better then D.C. I lived in Philly and fashion there is very organic. Trends begin in places like Philly. Trends don't begin in Charlotte. 

Just my 3 cents."-)