Jump to content

SouthPark Mall


uptownliving

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Von Maur is too similar to Nordstrom IMO. None of those malls have both as a tenant either, so I think it’s unlikely to see a store at SouthPark. It could be a better fit for Northlake or Carolina Place. 

Von Maur and Nordstrom are both at Perimeter Mall 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

I'm just realizing now that I have never once stepped foot into a Dillards. How do they compare to Belk and Macys? Are they more upscale? 

 

They are more upscale than the average Belk and more consistent than Macy's. Some Macy's are much more upscale than any Dillards, but the average Macy's falls in the run down / mismanaged chaos of red discount tags everywhere and merchandise on the floor that Dillards would consider unacceptable.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now Uno de 50 is opening at Southpark. It's a Spanish jewelry store, that, while not super pricey, is found in many of the more profitable and high-quality malls across the country. Interested to see these new trendy retailers come in, and how that might affect the other stores in the mall. I don't foresee closures too much, but some of these temp spaces look mighty attractive at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, CLT2014 said:

I don't think our city fits the demographic profile Bloomingdale's looks for, especially given existing competition from Neiman and Nordstrom (only so many mass affluent to target in Charlotte).  

Agree .  Was at Bloomingdale's at Aventura FL and though it was 10yrs ago, it felt more upscale as a mall overall.(except for the bus transfer literally at the main mall entrance.) PLUS they had that store that Charlotte wants sooooo so bad. I bought a pair of jeans and a shirt from that store. Jeans held up great!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simon will do one thing and that's make sure it's premier shopping center for the region stays on top and upscale. Von Maur and/ or Bloomingdale's are future possibilities for SouthPark. However, they'll be apart of a future infill density and vertical expansion of the property. All of which would possibly include more hotels, multifamily residential condominiums, offices, and/ or more exterior facing stores and restaurants along walkable pavillions on the site.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 12:49 AM, kayman said:

Simon will do one thing and that's make sure it's premier shopping center for the region stays on top and upscale. Von Maur and/ or Bloomingdale's are future possibilities for SouthPark. However, they'll be apart of a future infill density and vertical expansion of the property. All of which would possibly include more hotels, multifamily residential condominiums, offices, and/ or more exterior facing stores and restaurants along walkable pavillions on the site.

I spend a lot of time at the mall (mostly at the cigar lounge) but yesterday I actually went shopping. I noticed only a few empty spaces, and most had "something coming soon" It was busy for a Tuesday. I hope Belk will be okay, and I think the Southpark location is the least likely to close, but we spent the good part of an hour there with nobody offering to assist us, I could've stolen a suit if I wanted to. My mother overheard two women (employees) in the perfume department saying "this place is going down hill" and my mom, being the vocal woman she is, remarked that it didn't really reflect well for them to say those things around customers, to which one of the women replied that "she just doesn't understand what's going on behind the scenes." Not sure if they're airing personal drama, or are in the know about anything else. 

In regards to the future infill, or vertical expansion. I'm not too hopeful for the addition of another level to the mall, unless they'd be able to do it while the building is still open (think the post office in Plaza Midwood, or the airport) which would be expensive. But I do think that the mall has enough of a glut of surface parking that we could see some outparcel retail.

I've always thought that having retail that was accessible from the inside and outside of the mall would be a great idea, like a new retail perimeter or something. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I hope Belk will be okay, and I think the Southpark location is the least likely to close, but we spent the good part of an hour there with nobody offering to assist us, I could've stolen a suit if I wanted to. My mother overheard two women (employees) in the perfume department saying "this place is going down hill" and my mom, being the vocal woman she is, remarked that it didn't really reflect well for them to say those things around customers, to which one of the women replied that "she just doesn't understand what's going on behind the scenes." Not sure if they're airing personal drama, or are in the know about anything else. 

Stores like Belk are in a tough situation for recruiting talent in this job market. They are paying Sales Associates $10 - $11 an hour. Meanwhile stores like Target, Nordstrom, CVS, and Amazon have $15 an hour minimum wages. Heck even Walmart is paying more than Belk now. Why would anyone work in Sales  at Belk when you can get a 25% raise jumping to other retailers? South Park Belk employees just need to walk down the hallway to apply to one of the 40 open positions at Nordstrom that includes a $500 sign on bonus + 25% raise.

The holiday shopping season will likely be a nightmare at a lot of these stores that aren't attracting talent.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/21/2021 at 7:30 AM, CLT2014 said:

Stores like Belk are in a tough situation for recruiting talent in this job market. They are paying Sales Associates $10 - $11 an hour. Meanwhile stores like Target, Nordstrom, CVS, and Amazon have $15 an hour minimum wages. Heck even Walmart is paying more than Belk now. Why would anyone work in Sales  at Belk when you can get a 25% raise jumping to other retailers? South Park Belk employees just need to walk down the hallway to apply to one of the 40 open positions at Nordstrom that includes a $500 sign on bonus + 25% raise.

The holiday shopping season will likely be a nightmare at a lot of these stores that aren't attracting talent.

Talent is the key word here,  I will say that the labor hiererarchy in this country is out of whack. While many jobs require skills, training, and even higher education, the ability to sell and create a good customer experience in a low pressure, non commission environment is something you cannot foster without either fair compensation (IE employees who don't come into work stressing about how they're going to make rent) or a workforce of people just doing it for the fun of getting out of the house (in the past, housewives, a dying breed of reliable retail employee.) I was in Belk not long ago and had a very friendly and charismatic gentleman upsell me by over $50 dollars on some sales items when I had just intended to purchase a shirt. I not only left with more items for my wardrobe, but Belk also made additional profit, I'd surmise he payed for his hour of labor, if not more, with that one sale. We can talk all day long about automation, but a robot isn't gonna strike up a conversation with me in the same way, and engage me to go back to the rack and get some more stuff. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really believe this year with all the logistics problems that it might favor in store shopping.  Are you going to trust a far out delivery date with ships stacked out in the ocean in LA Long Beach even Savannah.   If it is not in immediate stock I am not buying this holiday season.  This might all favor brick and mortar shopping somewhat. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 7:30 AM, CLT2014 said:

Stores like Belk are in a tough situation for recruiting talent in this job market. They are paying Sales Associates $10 - $11 an hour. Meanwhile stores like Target, Nordstrom, CVS, and Amazon have $15 an hour minimum wages. Heck even Walmart is paying more than Belk now. Why would anyone work in Sales  at Belk when you can get a 25% raise jumping to other retailers? South Park Belk employees just need to walk down the hallway to apply to one of the 40 open positions at Nordstrom that includes a $500 sign on bonus + 25% raise.

The holiday shopping season will likely be a nightmare at a lot of these stores that aren't attracting talent.

The only department store at SP that has associates who know fashion and have product knowledge is Neiman Marcus.  Nordstrom has a few (the ones who’ve been there for many years) but the newer ones are def not as good quality unfortunately.  The ones at Belk are brain dead.  No clue about fashion and have horrible customer service skills as well as a low level of professionalism.  In general Belk and even Macy’s never have sales people around. You have to constantly walk around to find someone.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Temeteron said:

The only department store at SP that has associates who know fashion and have product knowledge is Neiman Marcus.  Nordstrom has a few (the ones who’ve been there for many years) but the newer ones are def not as good quality unfortunately.  The ones at Belk are brain dead.  No clue about fashion and have horrible customer service skills as well as a low level of professionalism.  In general Belk and even Macy’s never have sales people around. You have to constantly walk around to find someone.  

Yep, the skills at most department stores are ability to stock inventory, scan items at check out, and process returns. They are paying people $11 an hour so can't really expect to find the most fashion forward talent... and I don't blame them because they can't afford high end things for themselves. Many employees at a Belk or Macy's are at the poverty line or just above it if they don't have a spouse / significant other in their household bringing in more income.  They usually can't drop $400 on a dress or jacket. That's like 25% of a FTE Sales Associate salary before taxes. They walk over to Old Navy, Target, H&M, et. to buy clothes. 

Edited by CLT2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Suffolk Punch is taking over the former California Pizza Kitchen at SouthPark. It will be part of an overhaul of the West Plaza section of the mall, which also includes new play equipment for children and an open-air stage for live music and other events. There will also be an attached coffee/espresso bar in the mall food court.

E32DB187-FDF6-42B8-BB88-413D813EF689.png

809E5716-A7C3-452E-860A-13548976A5E3.webp

Great addition to SouthPark mall.  Nice to see a local spot instead of some big chain.  I don't think I ever ate at the California Pizza place in all the years I've lived here. This should do well! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HopHead said:

Great addition to SouthPark mall.  Nice to see a local spot instead of some big chain.  I don't think I ever ate at the California Pizza place in all the years I've lived here. This should do well! 

The biggest deterrent at that spot is that it's completely hidden by Dicks, and not an entrance most people use.  It's a "locals" entrance haha.  Hopefully they do some marketing in the mall because if you aren't from Charlotte, or for that matter Southend, people aren't going to realize "Suffolk Punch" listed under restaurants is a brewery/taproom.        

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Cluck Design.  NUF said....

I assume that is good?

They are designing a tap house to be built on Carmel Rd, which will be walking distance to my house, but besides permits being issued and them being listed, no information about the project.  I'm hoping for something good/cool/nice, but at this point, anything beer related that I can walk to easily is a huge bonus in my book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.