SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Really? How can they fit in a freestanding store the size of which C&B prefers in front of Maggiano's AND have the new parking deck in front of Dillard's?

It will be a 2-story C&B.....the front entrance may block a bit of the main entrance heading southbound on Sharon until you get to the traffic signal.

You can see a rendering of it if you go to:

http://www.hanoverco.com/sub.asp?p=Portfolio

Select the "The Village of SouthPark" and the C&B is in the middle picture.

Edited by atlrvr

Tacky but typical. Belk and Dillard's both have their Christmas Shops up and running.

I wonder what SouthPark's Christmas decorations look like this year.

Same as last year. Unless I am mistaken, Southpark bought all new decorations for the mall just within the past two years?

It does seem insane to have Christmas stuff out already but what many people fail to realize is that retailers wouldn't do this every year if consumers didn't expect to see it. It is the same with the end of the season, when we put out transition merchandise the week before the holiday, customers say, "What's the deal? Can't we get through the 25th first?" But let the 26th arrive with few choices to mull before they jump in the return line and we hear, "No new product? What am I supposed to buy with this $25 gift card? Buy a clearance sweater?" Such is life, can never have it both ways!

Oh my, 3 whole months of people with empty meaningless stressful lives, chasing something that doesn't exist, purchasing Chinese made crap thats bad for the environment, with credit, to give to people with expectations that Norman Rockwell will paint a photo of their Christmas cheer. :sick:

It won't be long until we start to see Santa Klaus displays after the the 4th of July when the retailers declare that to be the beginning of the Holiday shopping season. There is a bit of symmetry to that as the Chinese made crap from the last season will be in landfills by then and the credit bills finally paid.

Before you laugh at that date, just keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago that people would have been appalled any any mention of Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving was over.

Before you laugh at that date, just keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago that people would have been appalled any any mention of Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving was over.

One of the great things about Nordstrom. No Christmas decorations go up untill the day after Thanksgiving.

SIGH! :cry: It used to be that we could stuff ourselves on turkey and then sleep soundly on Thanksgiving night before we headed out to the malls the next few weeks and enjoyed the Christmas decorations. Last year I remember eating leftover candy corn from Halloween one day at the mall, right before Thanksgiving, when I looked up to see Santa sitting all alone with a stupid frown on his face. Ironic I know.

Anyone remember that song, I believe by Alabama?, called "I'm In a Hurry (Don't Know Why)", or something to that effect?

Hmmm, interesting. That is only speculation though. If Raleigh gets a Bloomingdale's then good for them. SouthPark would be a better option than Raleigh though but perhaps both will have one. Perhaps neither. However, Charlotte lured designer boutiques because of its high 1 mil+ earning demographic. Raleigh apparently does have a wealthy population but it is mostly upper middle-class if I'm not mistaken and it has less "super rich" than Charlotte. We'll see. Remember also that Simon is operating SouthPark and may really be interested in luring the state's first Bloomingdale's to their mall instead. Simon is pretty serious sometimes.

Ok, after seeing this http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/s.../24/story4.html in the Triangle Business Journal, it begs the question (again) if Hecht's SouthPark will become Bloomingdale's...

Because if Crabtree is getting one, then SouthPark is sure as hell getting one.

A friend of mine manages the mens department at a Bloomingdales in DC....He says Bloomingdales is definately taking over Hechts at SouthPark.

I think it had already been decided that Southpark's Hechts will become Macy's, as the article mentions. With the "grandaddy" Neiman Marcus coming next year, Simon Properties is probably very happy and could care less about Bloomingdales. There is no doubt the mall could handle Bloomies, look at our "upscale" options versus Crabtree's. Both are nice but we would be on top!

Just thought I would add that there is a huge Yellow "Z" in from of the Hyatt in Southpark. It looks like they are serious about converting this bad boy into condos. That will only tighten up the Hotel market on that side of town and eventually lead to another being built IMO. And guess what ? There is not a lot of remaining space in and around the mall. My guess is a nice hotel tower. Perhaps a super nice one considering the market. One could only hope for a "W". At least I am.

A2

Edited by A219724

I hate to see the hyatt go condo. i've stayd there a couple times and i've found it to be a great hotel.

But anyway, I don't know what to say in the Bloomingdale's issue. It makes sense and then it doesn't at the same time. Whatever we get, i'll be happy, but my heart's leaning towards Bloomingdale's and my mind's leaning towards Macy's. One of them has to be right; I just don't know which.

Thinking or no thinking......I have friends who work at SouthPark mall and have told me that Bloomingdale's is coming......some of you sound like you dont want bloomie's to come or something......that's one of the best department stores in the country......so much more variety than Dillard's, or Hecht's.....

With Belk having such a nice flagship in SouthPark and with the other dept. store anchors being Nordstrom, Nieman Marcus, and Bloomingdale's, Dillard's will look way out of place in SouthPark.

I am definitely pulling for Bloomingdale's, I think we all are. There will be plenty of Macy's in town after the change over. OR... Maybe they can buy the spot where Dick's Sporting Goods is now, plow it over and put a Macy's there.

Edited by appatone

Thinking or no thinking......I have friends who work at SouthPark mall and have told me that Bloomingdale's is coming......some of you sound like you dont want bloomie's to come or something......that's one of the best department stores in the country......so much more variety than Dillard's, or Hecht's.....

Interesting!

With Belk having such a nice flagship in SouthPark and with the other dept. store anchors being Nordstrom, Nieman Marcus, and Bloomingdale's, Dillard's will look way out of place in SouthPark.

I am definitely pulling for Bloomingdale's, I think we all are. There will be plenty of Macy's in town after the change over. OR... Maybe they can buy the spot where Dick's Sporting Goods is now, plow it over and put a Macy's there.

Well, Dillard's exterior is scheduled to be remodeled but I see wat you're saying. So I guess if all goes as planned, Charlotte will have 2 Macy's and a Bloomingdale's... LOL @ Plowing where Dick's is. I know a lot of people want a Saks there too. Ultimately, if they ended up with Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus and Macys (wherever that would go) in addition to Belk and Dillard's, it would make SouthPark one of the country's most upscale malls.

:shades:

Temeteron, Bloomingdale's is a wonderful department store, your friends are more than likely right on their hunch, and like Appatone said, nobody is pulling against it here.

That said, Macy's would be a more lgoical fit for the Hecht's space regardless of how cool it would be to get a Bloomingdale's at SouthPark. The store's pretty much hidden from view at the major intersections, and the stores leading to it in the mall corridor are more compatible with Macy's than Bloomingdale's.

A better fit for Bloomingdale's if they are bringing it into SouthPark would be on the Dick's or Dillard's sites. Dillard's is big enough to handle a full-sized Bloomingdale's and the Dick's site could be rebuilt to handle a store like that easily. I'd still like to see Saks on the Dick's site, but that's a beaten-up dead horse for another day.