SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I really wouldn't consider Club Monaco's men collection to be "preppy", although I do agree it does have a French/European style. Their women's collection is much more preppy and on par with J Crew and Banana imo, hence why I originally thought it would do well here. 

Here's an image from their current men's collection. In a city where there are huge swaths of men wearing stuff like Vineyard Vines and/or skinny jeans and boat shoes out on the town, a switch to an outfit like this is a pretty big change that I can't see folks making. 

image.thumb.png.03fca848e61b5b1de5416cd80c799015.png

Yeah, I don't think of Club Monaco as being preppy at all, they feel to me like more of a European middle-aged guy store to me. Charlotte doesn't really have that market. I think Tabor is fairly successful but they're a tiny store and can probably afford to cater to a smaller demographic.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, Rufus said:

Any word on the Philips Place revamp? Others were mentioning a pretty significant retail updates...interested to see where that goes

Bonterra opened its new location this week, and I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of Limani - a Greek/Cypriot restaurant with other locations only in NYC and Boston. :tw_smile:

Edited by TylerFerreroSorel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TylerFerreroSorel said:

Bonterra opened its new location this week, and I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of Limani - a Greek/Cyprus restaurant with other locations only in NYC and Boston. :tw_smile:

Limani is ok...nothing special. Aesthetics definitely take precedent over the food imo. 

I've been to their location in NYC...it was filled with wannabe influencers taking pictures of their food and the space...very annoying to the point I probably wouldn't go there again just because it that. The table next to me was filled with a group of people who all had the following attached to their phone to take better pictures with:

image.png.55f858322201a72c872fde00eaf6a394.png

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, TylerFerreroSorel said:

Bonterra opened its new location this week, and I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of Limani - a Greek/Cyprus restaurant with other locations only in NYC and Boston. :tw_smile:

Thanks! I'm very interested to hear any rumors or news about the new retail that might be brought in. There was talk a few months ago of it being pretty luxe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TylerFerreroSorel said:

I saw online (at the PurseForum) an unsubstantiated rumor that both Cartier and Hermès were interested in returning to the Charlotte market - probably because the owners of Dallas' ultra-luxe Highland Park Village are now management partners of Phillips Place. An extra 20,000 sq. ft. of retail space is coming to the center, so stay tuned for tenant news. :tw_smile:

That would be awesome!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Article confirming the addition of Alexander McQueen and other new tenants mentioned previously. TAG Heuer is also opening a location in the mall. Both tenants are the sole Carolina’s (and TN) location.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsoctv.com/news/local/southpark-mall-add-alexander-mcqueen-other-retailers-lineup/73EEBD6WCZHK3HIPWJZQON5EPY/%3foutputType=amp

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://i.redd.it/yifqqazipdy91.jpg

Found posted on the Charlotte reddit page. Purported to be 1988

This is around the time that the mall's big late 80's refurbishing was complete.  Belk's had an expansion and refurbishing as well earlier like around 1986/87.  The mall was so like brand new after the renovations!  Also Thalhimers had taken over Ivey's department store at that time too.

• Like 1

I count eleven (11) shoe stores in that list. This tracks with my memory of malls in general from the 1970's-80's. Shoe stores around every corner.  NO sneaker specific shoe stores. The athletic shoe revolution dates from about his moment.

Reviewing current tenant list I see three stores for shoes. Department stores have shoe departments but not included in the shoe specific category. Johnston and Murphy, then and now.

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

This is around the time that the mall's big late 80's refurbishing was complete.  Belk's had an expansion and refurbishing as well earlier like around 1986/87.  The mall was so like brand new after the renovations!  Also Thalhimers had taken over Ivey's department store at that time too.

No Thalhimers is where Macys was and then it was bought out by Hecht's then became Macys.  Dillards was Iveys before Dillards bought them.  

In my opinion Macys ruined every department store they bought.  Hechts>Macys   Burdines>Macys,  Richs>Macys, Carson Pirie Scott>Macys etc.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

No Thalhimers is where Macys was and then it was bought out by Hecht's then became Macys.  Dillards was Iveys before Dillards bought them.  

In my opinion Macys ruined every department store they bought.  Hechts>Macys   Burdines>Macys,  Richs>Macys, Carson Pirie Scott>Macys etc.  

The list of chains they ruined is long. Marshall Fields is another stand out they wrecked. Macy's, Inc. - Wikipedia

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Burberry has (temporarily?) moved/downsized to the very front of the mall to the left of the main entrance. Their original store’s windows are completely covered by black bags.

Probably downsizing in general I’d assume.  The mistake they made was they announced they were closing on Charlotte Observer a few years back; ended up letting go of some of their best salespeople, then apparently they extended their lease.  And then hired people who had no clue about fashion and no product knowledge.  Then during Covid they barely had any inventory at all and still don’t. It’s pretty bad when you compare Louis Vuitton’s popularity and sales which opened literally the same period they did…2003ish. 

15 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Probably downsizing in general I’d assume.  The mistake they made was they announced they were closing on Charlotte Observer a few years back; ended up letting go of some of their best salespeople, then apparently they extended their lease.  And then hired people who had no clue about fashion and no product knowledge.  Then during Covid they barely had any inventory at all and still don’t. It’s pretty bad when you compare Louis Vuitton’s popularity and sales which opened literally the same period they did…2003ish. 

The new store is very small and sticks out at the mall entrance, it looked very odd seeing it there. But now I’m curious as to what Simon has lined up to take over it’s former space.

• Like 1