SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

4 hours ago, nakers2 said:

It's not really "closed" just mostly vacant. I think it's proximity to the Spectrum Center and multiple hotels will bring enough foot traffic to allow word of mouth to spread and hopefully allow progressive growth and reimaging. I think if they made a big thing of it they might risk falling short on expectations. 

I have high doubts that locals will go there if it’s half ass.  Only the out of town visitors staying in the hotels go there because the concierge people are clueless of where to tell them to go.   Poor things bless their hearts.  They get there and are disappointed.  I ubered part time and I remember a lot of visitors would tell me the same thing. All negative comments.  Epicenter was special between 2008-2017ish.  After that it went downhill.  Let’s see if they can prove me wrong 

• Like 1

I know everybody in Charlotte needs an excuse to have their Jeep Wrangler actually use its 4x4 capabilities... But the parking lots and roadways at South Park need a serious repaving. Crumbling and pot holes all over. Hopefully Simon can get a repaving in.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I know everybody in Charlotte needs an excuse to have their Jeep Wrangler actually use its 4x4 capabilities... But the parking lots and roadways at South Park need a serious repaving. Crumbling and pot holes all over. Hopefully Simon can get a repaving in.

they are too busy buying the Hampton Inn at Phillips Place from reports tonight to block future high end retailers from moving over there.  The Hampton evidently holds some luxury retailers back even though it probably the most expensive Hampton in the city.   This was done to block the competition it seems and it is crazy to me.  Phillips Place is not even that big how many high end retailers could go there. 

Simon just got a $5  Billion line of credit

https://investors.simon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/simon-property-group-announces-new-50-billion-revolving-credit

they do own some hotels from their corporate annual report but they all seem to be adjacent or connected to their own malls or centers. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 9:58 PM, KJHburg said:

they are too busy buying the Hampton Inn at Phillips Place from reports tonight to block future high end retailers from moving over there.  The Hampton evidently holds some luxury retailers back even though it probably the most expensive Hampton in the city.   This was done to block the competition it seems and it is crazy to me.  Phillips Place is not even that big how many high end retailers could go there. 

Simon just got a $5  Billion line of credit

https://investors.simon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/simon-property-group-announces-new-50-billion-revolving-credit

they do own some hotels from their corporate annual report but they all seem to be adjacent or connected to their own malls or centers. 

Is it possible they might be seeking to convert it into a higher end brand such as a Rtiz Carlton or the like? Purely speculation, but I think most high end retail is still going to try and get into the mall regardless. A climate controlled shopping center serves the key demographic well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nakers2 said:

Is it possible they might be seeking to convert it into a higher end brand such as a Rtiz Carlton or the like? Purely speculation, but I think most high end retail is still going to try and get into the mall regardless. A climate controlled shopping center serves the key demographic well. 

Maybe.  Hilton has plenty of brands that would be a step up from a Hampton but not sure if Simon has any incentive to do that if like I think they are trying to hurt somewhat Phillips Place and their pursuit of luxury retailers.  IF and this is a big if Phillips Place was sold to Simon all bets would be off.  That hotel could be renovated to a Curio by Hilton or something else higher end  property as fast you can say Simon says.  

Some luxury retailers like outdoor shopping centers where their affluent customers can get in and out quick and some of those stores are destinations in themselves.  The common area charges are so high in an upscale mall like Southpark compared to PP.    I think there is room for both.  

Well since some have mentioned Macys at Southpark going downhill somewhat wouldn't that be a good spot for Van Maur a Nordstrom like department store that has several stores in Atlanta. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, KJHburg said:

Maybe.  Hilton has plenty of brands that would be a step up from a Hampton but not sure if Simon has any incentive to do that if like I think they are trying to hurt somewhat Phillips Place and their pursuit of luxury retailers.  IF and this is a big if Phillips Place was sold to Simon all bets would be off.  That hotel could be renovated to a Curio by Hilton or something else higher end  property as fast you can say Simon says.  

Some luxury retailers like outdoor shopping centers where their affluent customers can get in and out quick and some of those stores are destinations in themselves.  The common area charges are so high in an upscale mall like Southpark compared to PP.    I think there is room for both.  

Well since some have mentioned Macys at Southpark going downhill somewhat wouldn't that be a good spot for Van Maur a Nordstrom like department store that has several stores in Atlanta. 

Saks 5th Avenue planned to come here years ago, I wouldn't go to great length to say they regret their decision, but I do think they made a mistake and might be the likely contender to remedy that in the Macy's space if the opportunity presents itself. If not, all bets are off. The lower level sans the upper level is unwelcoming, so splitting the levels between two retailers seems to be a stretch unless you can commit some kind of "lobby" that serves both. 

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

Saks 5th Avenue planned to come here years ago, I wouldn't go to great length to say they regret their decision, but I do think they made a mistake and might be the likely contender to remedy that in the Macy's space if the opportunity presents itself. If not, all bets are off. The lower level sans the upper level is unwelcoming, so splitting the levels between two retailers seems to be a stretch unless you can commit some kind of "lobby" that serves both. 

I’d rather see Dillard’s leave to be honest.   Although the SP Dillard’s is not as bad as the typical Dillard’s store.  I just can’t understand why the SP Macy*s is not up to par with a lot of the other locations around the country. 

• Like 1

Dillard’s is a nice chain.  It’s certainly moved upscale in the past few years, and it was a nicer store even before then.  I was surprised to see that the Greenville, SC Dillard’s is about like a Lord & Taylor (was), or even higher-end than Lord & Taylor.

The Phillips Place movie theater is closing.  Maybe the space will be repositioned for retail?

23 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Dillard’s is a nice chain.  It’s certainly moved upscale in the past few years, and it was a nicer store even before then.  I was surprised to see that the Greenville, SC Dillard’s is about like a Lord & Taylor (was), or even higher-end than Lord & Taylor.

The Phillips Place movie theater is closing.  Maybe the space will be repositioned for retail?

It will be an office building

• Thanks 1

Wow, Philips Place continues to bring in some great new retail. Announced today are Alice & Olivia and Jenni Kayne. Jenni Kayne is a California-based retailer found all around the LA area, and has been rapidly expanding across the country the last few years. Alice & Olivia is NYC-based (their flagship is at Bryant Park) and sells womens wear as well. I've had the chance to work with Stacey Bendet of Alice & Olivia when I was working at Bryant Park for a couple years...she's interesting, but nonetheless was open to using the store to help enhance the park attendance. 

These are two fabulous gets for the center. I can't wait to see what else is announced. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

but doesn't that mean they maybe shuffling tenants around?   this is one of Simon's better performing malls so they probably have something up their sleeve.

Yes, and that looks to be happening. Now that Burberry has reopened, their temporary space at the main entrance is ripe for the pickings. Brahmin Handbags is moving to a smaller space from next door to Louis Vuitton down a couple storefronts closer to Nordstrom. There are two large spaces in the main corridor, two spaces between Dillards and Belk, and then one corner spot next to Auntie Annes. That makes seven. Don't forget Omega is taking the old Swarovski spot next to Hive & Colony, while Swarovski is moving between Chicos and the new Brahmin space. 

And we still don't know where Zara is locating. 

Edited by Rufus
Added sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Simon Property Group to spend $1.5 billion on hotels and apartments. No mention of SouthPark or Charlotte in the article specifically, but interesting news following their recent purchase of the hotel at Phillips Place.

I wish they add a hotel to Southpark Mall like they did at Phipps in Atlanta.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jordan704 said:

Scotch and Soda closed :( 

Not surprised. I never thought their market fit Charlotte. Opens up a big space in the main area between Kate Spade and Lego. I wonder what could go there, or if them leaving sets up the consolidation of space for Zara. 

• Like 1