SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Ok this is my theory.......(just an opinion)........I think Bloomingdale's should take over Dillard's spot so it can be seen better.....and Dillard's should take Hecht's spot........then Dick's should just go straight to hell....and join Montgomery Ward and Service Merchandise and the Gang.........and Saks should consider uptown....we gotta have somethin in uptown! Macy's will do just fine at Northlake & Carolina Place....and probably eventually at Mint Hill too...... ;)

It doesnt' belong in SouthPark.......besides...it already has like a zillion other locations in CLT

No, it doesn't, BUT I don't think Southpark had much of a choice when Dick's bought out Galyan's. I can imagine their disgust when the store was built and already open under the Galyan's name, then here comes old Dick's! Too bad that fate worked that way. I would have liked to have had the REI store here, versus Carolina Place, in that spot over Dick's any day too.

Maybe they can get Sak's and Bloomie's over at Shops if Hecht's becomes Macy's instead of Bloomie's?

No, it doesn't, BUT I don't think Southpark had much of a choice when Dick's bought out Galyan's. I can imagine their disgust when the store was built and already open under the Galyan's name, then here comes old Dick's! Too bad that fate worked that way. I would have liked to have had the REI store here, versus Carolina Place, in that spot over Dick's any day too.

Maybe they can get Sak's and Bloomie's over at Shops if Hecht's becomes Macy's instead of Bloomie's?

Hmmm...Let's see, besides the South Park location there is, Northlake, Birkdale Village, Matthews, Mooresville, Pineville, & University City.....that brings the total to 7......I don't even think we have that many Dillard's in the Charlotte area.........can we say consolidate?

I can just see Simon/SouthPark people just s******* bricks when they heard that Galyan's was gonna become Dick's haha. It would make sense if REI and Dick's swapped or something

Hmmm...Let's see, besides the South Park location there is, Northlake, Birkdale Village, Matthews, Mooresville, Pineville, & University City.....that brings the total to 7......I don't even think we have that many Dillard's in the Charlotte area.........can we say consolidate?

Yup.. Dillard's only has 5 stores in the area, Westfield-Eastridge in Gastonia and 4 in Meck County, Northlake, SouthPark, CP and Eastland (soon to be Mint Hill)

I've only shopped a Dick's one time, and while I was impressed by the size of the store, the overall merchandise wasn't that impressive. What made Gaylan's a better store?

I had a chance to shop at Southpark a couple weeks ago (came back to Charlotte for my high school reunion) and was impressed. I was pretty lost walking around...it had seemed to change so much since I was in high school ten years ago. Heck, the shopping was pretty good, but the scenery was even better!

Anyway, back to the Bloomingdale's thing, what's the typical size of a Bloomingdale's? If Hecht's becomes Bloomies, it'll be like 200,000 s/f right

Here are some numbers. I got them from the Federated and May Fact Books:

http://www.federated-fds.com/ir/vote/2005_fact_book.pdf

http://www2.mayco.com/common/2004arp/2005_fb_full.pdf

Full line Bloomingdale's range from 122,000 sq. ft. to 935,000 sq. ft. The average is 233,472 sq. ft.

Macy's range from 2,000 sq. ft.(Honolulu Jewel Gallery) to 2,168,000 sq. ft. The average is 177,890 sq. ft.

Both averages include some specialty Macy's/Bloomingdale's that sell furniture only, jewelry only, etc. I didn't include the overlapping stores that Federated is closing.

Here are the NC stores in question.

Hecht's:

Southpark (Charlotte) - 200,000

Streets at Southpoint (Durham) - 180,000

Triangle Town Center (Raleigh)- 180,000

Crabtree (Raleigh) - 175,000

Northlake (Charlotte) - 165,000

Hanes (Winston-Salem)- 154,000

Northgate (Durham) - 152,000

Carolina Place (Charlotte) - 150,000

Friendly Center (Greensboro) - 148,000

Wendover Place (Greensboro) - 140,000

Mayfaire Town Center (Wilmington) - 140,000

Cross Creek Mall (Fayetteville) - 133,000

Cary Towne Center (Cary) - 105,000

Lord & Taylor:

Crabtree - 98,000

Edited by TravisNC

I've only shopped a Dick's one time, and while I was impressed by the size of the store, the overall merchandise wasn't that impressive. What made Gaylan's a better store?

I had a chance to shop at Southpark a couple weeks ago (came back to Charlotte for my high school reunion) and was impressed. I was pretty lost walking around...it had seemed to change so much since I was in high school ten years ago. Heck, the shopping was pretty good, but the scenery was even better!

People-watching ;) is one of the biggest joys of SouthPark. I know that's one of the many things I like about the place. There used to be this one cute girl at Caswell-Massey that could get me to buy anything :)

Galyan's had a little more sophisticated merchandising. Upscale is an overused term, but it's an apt description of how they did things. Not much clutter, really nice merchandise, generally more pleasant and less predictable than Dick's.

Thanks for the reply about Galyan's...personally, it doesn't bother me too much that Dick's is at the mall. I know the mall is supposed to have nicer stores, but I used to work there when Sears was one of the main stores. So I guess my viewpoint is a little different.

It would be cool for the mall to get a Bloomingdale's. Big name stores like that draw even more people in.

Accepting that Dick's was there at first was the hardest part. Now that I'm used to it, it's cool. I'd still wish for an alternative, but it does draw a more diverse customer base than the rest of the mall (save for The Cheesecake Factory, which draws almost every walk of life with money to burn on dinner to SouthPark)

That's interesting. I really don't know what will happen with the SouthPark Hecht's store... i think it still can go either way... Bloomies or Macys

More than likely it will become Macy's. It really doesn't make sense for Federated to open Bloomingdale's here yet. Every Bloomingdale's store is slightly different. The merchandise and marketing are tailored to its specific market. For example, some Bloomingdale's have more edgy lines. Others carry more conservative lines. The decision of what to carry is made based on the buying habits of that market. Opening a store with no idea of who Charlotte's consumers are or which consumers to target here is a huge risk for Federated. It's less of a financial risk to open Macy's, learn more about the customers and market then bring Bloomingdale's to Charlotte.

I think eventually, it will happen. But it's going to take Federated some time to get to know us. I think in the future, Federated will find a spot for Bloomingdale's at both SP and NL malls. (Look out, Belk!)

Did Nordstrom or Neiman marcus need an analysis of what Charlotte consumers wanted? no, but they came(are coming).......like I said I have friends who work in the mall and have told me that bloomies is coming so, maybe they haven't added it on the website yet I dont know........Louis Vuitton is opening in Nashville and they don't have that on their website......it takes time to announce stuff....

Northlake does have an empty anchor spot... Good analysis, girly.

Yes, but i think it's 100 times more likely we'd see JC Penney at that anchor spot than Bloomingdales.

Did Nordstrom or Neiman marcus need an analysis of what Charlotte consumers wanted? no, but they came(are coming).......like I said I have friends who work in the mall and have told me that bloomies is coming so, maybe they haven't added it on the website yet I dont know........Louis Vuitton is opening in Nashville and they don't have that on their website......it takes time to announce stuff....

I have to agree... especially about Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus, that's why i'm still uncertain whether or not Bloomingdales will fill the Hecht's SouthPark space.

Oh my...

Temeteron, both Neiman Marcus and Nordsrtom did extensive analyses of what Charlotte consumers wanted before they came here. Each of those stores were in the planning stages for years before any announcement was made. They didn't just wakeup one day and asy "let's build in Charlotte." Businesses havs long and protracted means of getting the location that's best so that their investments pay off.

Excitement is one thing, speculation is another, but losing one's head just beacuse one wants a specific department store in town is silly. I wanted Saks in Charlotte, and in their case, they signed papers and annouced they were coming twice. And the market will hold up to them coming. But it's just not time yet.

I hope that Bloomingdale's does come to SouthPark, but the Hecht's spot sucks even for Hecht's, and my prediction is that Macy's will be the store that gets it and the store that's appropriate for that spot. There's always room for error, but I've been analyizing retail for most of my life and that's pretty much the deal I see coming, despite what your friends have told you.

We're not talking about Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom. Federated does business their own way. I'm sure they are interested in opening a store in Charlotte. It's just not logical that they will do that in the immediate future. With no idea who Charlotte's customer is, it's too big a risk for them to open Bloomingdale's right from the start. If they had bought out Belk in the past, then I could see it happening. But with only one anchor spot right now, they'll open Macy's. Branding Macy's is more important to Federated right now than anything else. Plus, they'll have that other anchor spot when they buy out Belk. :P They can open Bloomingdale's there.