SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Been to SP twice this holiday season. No problem finding parking and there were no crowds. I have a friend who works for Simon and he said that thus far, the $$$ had not been good at all--SouthPark or any Simon property.

I think it might be national, considering everyone opened their wallets in historic proportions for charity during the Katrina disaster.

Retailers must compete with "cash charity" in the broader market of holiday giving. That is a big reason that Target thumbed their noses at Salvation Army bell-ringers since last year, as some executive of consultant crunched the numbers and decided it was a drain on what people would spend on merchandise.

Been to SP twice this holiday season. No problem finding parking and there were no crowds. I have a friend who works for Simon and he said that thus far, the $$$ had not been good at all--SouthPark or any Simon property.

I've been noticing shopper patterns lately, and malls are not packing in the people this holiday overall. Discounters are faring a little better, but this year will not be a stellar one for stores.

Retailers must compete with "cash charity" in the broader market of holiday giving. That is a big reason that Target thumbed their noses at Salvation Army bell-ringers since last year, as some executive of consultant crunched the numbers and decided it was a drain on what people would spend on merchandise.

The Salvation Army-Target situation was overblown. Target does more charitable work per dollar spent by consumers in its stores than most of its peers even without the bell ringers.

Edited by StevenRocks

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an article on Nieman Marcus and the other developments at SouthPark.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13527228.htm

What was most incredible to me is that Charlotte's median income of $44,375 ranks 15th in the nation! I think that is pretty incredible, considering we definitely do not have the top 15 cost of living here. That leaves lots of disposable income for luxury goods and uptown high rise condos.

15th! wow. Here's an average household income map from mappoint's 2004 version (the latest #s they had was 2002 though)... and it's done by census tract for Charlotte: http://img203.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hhincome3cy.jpg

HA! My neighborhood was closing in on zero in 2002 :). I'm sure the 2005 numbers will be much different for uptown.

It is incredible how high the income is in Eastover.

HA! My neighborhood was closing in on zero in 2002 :). I'm sure the 2005 numbers will be much different for uptown.

It is incredible how high the income is in Eastover.

Yeah. Here are specific numbers for some areas:

Fourth Ward is $84,900

Third Ward is $52,031

First Ward is $23,430 <these #s have to be older than 2002 data!

The lowest is the census tract around Brookhill i guess, where S Tryon crosses Remount in that area around Marie G Davis; it's $16,970. And the highest, as seen and mentioned is Eastover at $231,176 (The lowest actually is $0.00 for Charlotte census tract #2, because no one lives there)

• 2 weeks later...