SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Back on Topic

Back on Topic, sorry I led us down a completely different road I take full responsiblity,

What do ya'll think we can expect from the southpark land, do ya'll think its done with development or does it still have some room to grow, when I say SP land I mean the area between morrison, colony, fairview, and barclay downs

whether we are talking about building up, much like my plan for the circle K, and the plan for the villages, or building out, this is including building accross the roads, especially morrison, as that it is the only real land available to southpark, without too much hassel at least,

Edited by Rickydavisfan21

Like what? There aren't any old storefronts to transform into chi-chi shops. They could duplicate that in the Disney-like manner that Ballantyne is famous for I suppose. In fact, that'd fit in just perfectly. I could see something like Shoppes on the Park. I know others have posted that they think SotP should be redeveloped, but I really like the small, intimate feel of that little place. Of course, any B'tyne version would be on a much grander scale and totally lose that cozy atmosphere.
It would be a "Disney-like" lifestyle center, I think. I just can't see Belk and JCPenney, Radio Shack and a Chlli's in a linear arrangement there. Even the SouthPark neighborhood is a lot different than the typical mall sprawl, so with Ballantyne being even more planned, it's got a be something different than the norm.

I'd rather talk about SouthPark anyway, Ballantyne only intersts me at a basic level. :rolleyes:

WOW LOOK AT ALL THAT LAND!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not ballantyne. It would be further than Carolina Place.

whether we are talking about building up, much like my plan for the circle K, and the plan for the villages, or building out, this is including building accross the roads, especially morrison, as that it is the only real land available to southpark, without too much hassel at least,

There are a few big apartment complexes that could be razed.

Edited by moonshield

I know its not ballantyne, I just never imagined there was that much land on the other side of 485 on providence, incredible, how many acres would ya'll say that is?

the land keeps going from that map too, you could fit 3 charlotte links on that land wow, I hope something special goes there. The like 4 houses that are in that area could make some serious money selling their property to an investor or a developer

Edited by Rickydavisfan21

Do we really need another mall?

No but did we ever "need" one in the first place? People could have kept shopping at Belk's and Ivey's uptown if malls hadn't been built, but current development trends don't necessarily work that way.

Charlotte's population is expanding pretty quickly, and most people come to live in single-family, low-density housing; a significant part of this growth is at Charlotte's fringe. Thus it's reasonable to expect that sprawl along Charlotte's outer fringes will spread further- which means retail will follow, and which may mean another mall even further out beyond Carolina Place, eventually.

Edited by mallguy

No but did we ever "need" one in the first place? People could have kept shopping at Belk's and Ivey's uptown if malls hadn't been built, but current development trends don't necessarily work that way.
Malls were bound to happen. And they are needed.

Downtowns, or more properly, town centers, are based on the idea that no one should have to travel more than 10 minutes to get to basic stores and services. When Uptown Charlotte was at its retail peak, the main users were within 10 minutes travel time from it. As the city spread and populations built up outside the center city, new town centers formed allowing those residents to have basic services nearby.

Malls were bound to happen. And they are needed.

...As the city spread and populations built up outside the center city, new town centers formed allowing those residents to have basic services nearby.

Only you would consider a Hermes store a basic service. :)

Those are good points.

I read a very interesting book entitled "Downtown", dealing with why downtowns were developed and then slid in importance. What I got out of it was that downtowns were originally developed as places for all non-residential activity; people would commute in from residential areas via streetcar and otherwise to shop, work, have fun, etc. But people got sick of the long commutes, and so stores and offices spread to where people lived, once people had cars and didn't have to rely on public transportation, which funneled them into city centers.

Thus I can see why malls were developed- bringing retail to where people lived.

Hello all. I thought I would pass along some bad news. A friend of mine that works at the Neiman Marcus here in Boca Raton with me ( I work at Bloomingdales) told me today that the opening of the new Neiman Marcus Charlotte has been pushed back till March. The reason she said is they have decided not to open teh location so close to the Holiday season. She said this may change, but as of now this is supposedly official.

Hello all. I thought I would pass along some bad news. A friend of mine that works at the Neiman Marcus here in Boca Raton with me ( I work at Bloomingdales) told me today that the opening of the new Neiman Marcus Charlotte has been pushed back till March. The reason she said is they have decided not to open teh location so close to the Holiday season. She said this may change, but as of now this is supposedly official.

I just choked on my drink when I read that lol.

It looks to be so close to completion, at least the outside anyway. What are they going to do for a full year from now? It does seem a bit confounding that they'd intentionally not want to capitalize on the holiday shopping season. I'd think they'd be rushing to get done it by late summer if anything. That makes no sense.

I don't believe it. I'll wait until they make an official announcement.

I was in the mall today and the signs all still said September 2006. When did they tell you this?

No actually my necessaties are A/X, French Connection, Sisley, Guess, True Religion, just to name a few! Im not a jewlery person i dont know why? :lol:

I agree we do need a French Connection. I still treasure my FCUK Down Under shirt i've had for two years.

Edited by aussie luke