SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

only seven stores are going to the village at southpark? maybe you meant seven stories tall? I thought more upscale retail options would be able to have stores there.

:blush: Oops you got me. I did mean stories, not stores. I am sure that the villiage will be gaining many more than 7.

A2

Just went to an absolutely beautiful outdoor shopping center: Stony Point Fashion Park in Richmond. Sort of like a mini-SouthPark, with Louis Vuitton, Cole-Haan, Brooks Bros., etc. Such a fun place to shop, with fountains, ornate plantings, neat-looking storefronts (like an upscale small town's downtown), etc., and in a very nice part of Richmond. Now I'm hooked; I really liked outdoor shopping. Maybe one day SouthPark will expand the outdoor part of the mall to make it more like Stony Point, just as the Streets at Southpoint in Durham is an enclosed mall with a small outdoor part?

Just went to an absolutely beautiful outdoor shopping center: Stony Point Fashion Park in Richmond. Sort of like a mini-SouthPark, with Louis Vuitton, Cole-Haan, Brooks Bros., etc. Such a fun place to shop, with fountains, ornate plantings, neat-looking storefronts (like an upscale small town's downtown), etc., and in a very nice part of Richmond. Now I'm hooked; I really liked outdoor shopping. Maybe one day SouthPark will expand the outdoor part of the mall to make it more like Stony Point, just as the Streets at Southpoint in Durham is an enclosed mall with a small outdoor part?

I would like to see SP expand outward (rather than linear) and have storefronts on the outside. I know this is difficult to undertake, especially with the limited parking flexibility. It would pull Southpark out of the "shopping mall" stereotype and into a more recognizable complex. It feels a little odd to brag about a mall when malls are commonplace all around the country in both high and low scales.

Any thoughts on the neighborhoods surrounding Southpark? Beverly Woods, Beverly Woods East, Fairmeadows, Barclay Downs? It looks like there has been a lot of appreciation as of late in these neighborhoods. I'm moving to charlotte within the next 6 months and would like to live in that area. Curious what locals thought about the housing market.

Thanks

isn't SP supposed to have a STREETS AT SOUTHPOINT type outdoor component to it?

I think thats Northlake Mall.

Southpark will have outdoor shopping in the new Village at Southpark, but it will be a little different then The Streets at Southpoint (There will be about 5 stories of apartments above the stores). Other than Crate & Barrel, tenants haven't been released yet, but they should announce them sometime this month or in August.

I think thats Northlake Mall.

Southpark will have outdoor shopping in the new Village at Southpark, but it will be a little different then The Streets at Southpoint (There will be about 5 stories of apartments above the stores). Other than Crate & Barrel, tenants haven't been released yet, but they should announce them sometime this month or in August.

Northlake mall does not compare to Southpark

South park

It seems like most of the malls that have problems are those with movie theatres. They tend to attract a lot of teenagers, who can be noisy, loiter and require a police presence. Once that happens, you are less likely to attract families, young professionals (those with money to spend at the mall). The eventual result is lower quality stores and a less attractive mall. I wonder if Southpark doesn't have a movie theatre for this very reason.

It seems like most of the malls that have problems are those with movie theatres. They tend to attract a lot of teenagers, who can be noisy, loiter and require a police presence. Once that happens, you are less likely to attract families, young professionals (those with money to spend at the mall). The eventual result is lower quality stores and a less attractive mall. I wonder if Southpark doesn't have a movie theatre for this very reason.

Anyone that has ever been to Southpoint mall or Birkdale Village can vouch for the problems associated with teens at the movies.

Anyone that has ever been to Southpoint mall or Birkdale Village can vouch for the problems associated with teens at the movies.

Hah, I'm no teen myself but I do have to defend them in that the noise mostly does not come from them. I know of plenty of 20 or 30 somethings that live around me that cause plenty of noise themselves.

Movie theaters don't cause loitering, it is the mall itself that causes this. Movie theaters promote traffic after hours, but not nearly on the level the mall itself does.

Stop shaking your cane.

Hah, I'm no teen myself but I do have to defend them in that the noise mostly does not come from them. I know of plenty of 20 or 30 somethings that live around me that cause plenty of noise themselves.

Movie theaters don't cause loitering, it is the mall itself that causes this. Movie theaters promote traffic after hours, but not nearly on the level the mall itself does.

Stop shaking your cane.

Promoting traffic is good? Why is Charlotte cracking down on people cruising on Tryon Street.

Because the majority of SouthPark sits on concrete piers one story above the earth, there would have to be some thought put into any kind of demalling. The water has to go somehwere, and flat floors don't drain very well.

The only other option for outdoor expasnion is on top of the parking decks, because the mall site itself is close to maxed out on imperious surfaces, meaning all the greenspace that's left is needed for drainage. While this reclaimed parking could potentially work as a new shopping area, the question becomes where does the parking that's being displaced go?

Because the majority of SouthPark sits on concrete piers one story above the earth, there would have to be some thought put into any kind of demalling. The water has to go somehwere, and flat floors don't drain very well.

The only other option for outdoor expasnion is on top of the parking decks, because the mall site itself is close to maxed out on imperious surfaces, meaning all the greenspace that's left is needed for drainage. While this reclaimed parking could potentially work as a new shopping area, the question becomes where does the parking that's being displaced go?

I was thinking that the area around the Joseph-Beth, with the restaurants close by, would be a good place. Add just a few new stores with high-end, distinctive architecture, well-thought plantings, neat outdoor furniture, fountains and the like and it would look even better than the area does now.

Northlake mall does not compare to Southpark

I was not comparing them. I was saying that Northlake has a future outdoor component planned that is similiar to the Streets of Southpoint...

And the whole thing about the movie theaters isn't something that can be proven. Roosevelt Field in NY has one, and it is much more upscale than Southpark. I was just at Northlake this weekend, and I didn't see any type of "Eastland Mall" crowd.

Edited by nyxmike

Promoting traffic is good? Why is Charlotte cracking down on people cruising on Tryon Street.

When did I say promoting traffic was good? I was making a point that it doesn't cause "teens" to loiter. And those aren't cruisers around the theater, they are tired people (in general) driving home after 1 or sometimes 2am. I've been to plenty'a movies past midnight --notably premiers-- which had far more people over 25 in them than teenagers.

I was thinking that the area around the Joseph-Beth, with the restaurants close by, would be a good place. Add just a few new stores with high-end, distinctive architecture, well-thought plantings, neat outdoor furniture, fountains and the like and it would look even better than the area does now.
I guess they could add in some stores between Morton's and Neiman Marcus. It would be a pretty cool extension of the West Plaza area. But I think they're trying to preserve some of the surface parking lots around that area.

I guess they could add in some stores between Morton's and Neiman Marcus. It would be a pretty cool extension of the West Plaza area. But I think they're trying to preserve some of the surface parking lots around that area.

Was just there tonight- didn't realize there is a nice fountain there. There is somewhat of a "Stony Point Fashion Park" feel in that area of the mall- so I should be happy with what I have there. More outdoor stores in that part of the mall would be a plus, though. I still don't see that putting Crate & Barrel, for example, across from the mall, separated by a parking garage, is really a wise move.

But I think they're trying to preserve some of the surface parking lots around that area.

Yes, because surface lots are exactly what Charlotte needs to preserve the most. I'm aware they are safer, sorta, but an well patrolled underground parking deck with greenspace on top would seem much "classier." With as many officers as I see perusing the mall on their little bi-peds, or whatever those things are called, moving two of them into a deck to patrol can't be a bad idea and wouldn't cost them anything extra.

is it just me, or was M Misoni announced as a tenant to the mall. where is the official announcement, and why hsa the mall website not listed it among retailers. could this go into the actual mall or is a definite lock for the village?

Someone from Tire Kingdom came around through the mall giving out VIP discount cards to mall employees today. According to her there will be a kiosk in the mall and they guarantee tires within 2 hours. Not sure where the actual shop is (didn't think to ask). I am hoping it is full service because it would be great if i could come to work, have them take my car and change the oil/filter, etc... while I am at work and it be ready when I get off. I'm kind of excited about this!