SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I passed by SP this evening on my way home and am I seeing things or are they covering Crate&Barrel with red brick? What happened to the nice white building in the pictures??? Dillard's is really moving along too.
I don't think it'll be all red brick. I imagine it'll be a mix of brick and stucco, which is unusual for Crate & Barrel but not bad overall.

I'm rooting more for Hermes and Ralph Lauren to open. BCBG doesn't have anything I can use.

Agreed- I have some BCBG Max Azria shirts and ties and was thus surprised that the store sells only women's clothes.

Also- I assume the Hecht's is the worst-performing department store at SouthPark? Kind of like the Dillard's at Northlake- always seems to have very few people in it.

I was at the mall today, and while I noticed BCBG was open, I also noticed that there is only one empty lot left in the Neiman wing......I thought there was supposed to be like 5 or 6 spots??? Its only Hermes, Polo RL, BCBG, and one unannounced......I hope it ends up being Gucci........and hopefuly A/X, FCUK, Sony Style, Sisley, Club Monaco, and Prada can go to the village

Temetron, I too am creating a wish list for the Village that includes A/X, FCUK, Sisley, Prada, D&G, Diesel, Cartier..........etc. Sorry to ask again but does anyone know when a retail list will be available for the Village at SouthPark or Piedmont Town Center?

anyways, I think the number of new stores for the wing was reduced about a month or two ago. One reason that could have played a part in that is that Polo RL and Hermes are going to be pretty large stores. That only leaves so much space for other stores. Plus what has happened with M Missoni or Thomas Pink or Cartier that were all rumored to be coming to the new wing?

Also- I assume the Hecht's is the worst-performing department store at SouthPark? Kind of like the Dillard's at Northlake- always seems to have very few people in it.
In terms of sales numbers, The Hecht Co.* is the worst-performing department store at SouthPark, but they're not exactly unproductive. May Company just sunk millions of dollars into renovating and expanding the store, and Federated is tweaking it even more for Macy's.

That particular Hecht's has always done well. It just happens to be in the mall where its two main competitors have flagship locations. Both Belk and Dillard's are extremely protective of their exclusive vendor agreements and market share, so anybody occupying that space, be it Thalhimers, Macy's or Hecht's is going to be in for a fight if they plan to stay and prosper.

* - full name used for nostalgic purposes. I'm going to miss it.

Anyone know anything about a store called Ruehl? I was in Tampa last week and the folks at the store in International Plaza said they were opening a Ruehl in Charlotte.
It's the upmarket version of Abercrombie & Fitch, and it would work well at SouthPark.

Temetron, I too am creating a wish list for the Village that includes A/X, FCUK, Sisley, Prada, D&G, Diesel, Cartier..........etc. Sorry to ask again but does anyone know when a retail list will be available for the Village at SouthPark or Piedmont Town Center?

anyways, I think the number of new stores for the wing was reduced about a month or two ago. One reason that could have played a part in that is that Polo RL and Hermes are going to be pretty large stores. That only leaves so much space for other stores. Plus what has happened with M Missoni or Thomas Pink or Cartier that were all rumored to be coming to the new wing?

No clue on tenant list availablity at Village at SouthPark or Piedmont Town Center. I do think they're going to balance the mix with more conservative choices than you and Temetron are rooting for, but a few of thoise names could pop up.

Rumors are just that...rumors. M Missoni (should they come) will likely take the current temporary Johnston & Murphy store near Belk.

Prada will be unlikely. They are a stickler for avoiding malls/urban centers (with Manhasset and Bal Harbour as the only exceptions.) They have said numerous times that their only interest is streetscape shopping (Rodeo, Madison, etc) and have no interest in the future to open in urban centers. FCUK and A/X will probably do the best, both targeting the younger population as most stores in SouthPark seem to be. Does anyone know what stores they are wooing?

Anyone know anything about a store called Ruehl? I was in Tampa last week and the folks at the store in International Plaza said they were opening a Ruehl in Charlotte.

New higher-end concept b A&F. THey are undergoing huge expansion in the US and planning to open 7-8 stores by the end of the year.

Prada will be unlikely. They are a stickler for avoiding malls/urban centers (with Manhasset and Bal Harbour as the only exceptions.) They have said numerous times that their only interest is streetscape shopping (Rodeo, Madison, etc) and have no interest in the future to open in urban centers. FCUK and A/X will probably do the best, both targeting the younger population as most stores in SouthPark seem to be. Does anyone know what stores they are wooing?

New higher-end concept b A&F. THey are undergoing huge expansion in the US and planning to open 7-8 stores by the end of the year.

You can visit their website, www.ruehl.com, for more information. I believe this concept caters toward the college graduate crowd [22 - early 30's].

While I was on vacation in South Florida (Boca Raton) over the past week and a half I managed to stop at the Boca Raton Town Center that was comparable to SouthPark. The Town Center had Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macy*s, Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Sears (Crate and Barrel also) but besides some of the anchors the malls were both fairly similar in terms of stores. If you walked into the Town Center it would be almost like SouthPark plus or minus a few stores. I can say that even though this mall was very upscale they didn't have Gucci, Prada, Diesel, Cartier, or FCUK as most of these stores were located about 30 miles north in a even more wealthy area of Palm Beach County (Palm Beach) on Worth Ave. What I am trying to say is that even with all the upscale department stores this mall had it still didn't have the stores we are wishing for. The only logical stores I could see that would most likely end up at SouthPark are Armani Exchange (Neiman wing or the Village), BOSS Hugo Boss (somewhere in the main mall), Harmont & Blaine (the Village), or even Arden B. (the Village). I did notice that in Saks that they had a Prada and Dolce & Gabbana boutique and in Bloomingdale's they had a Diesel and I think an FCUK boutique.

(NOTE: I truly deeply wish we had a Bloomingdale's at SouthPark! :rolleyes: If they could only persuade to move Dillard's out.)

For the record, my guess for the next store in the Neiman Wing will be Armani Exchange or BOSS Hugo Boss.

Edited by DaAchiever

What I am trying to say is that even with all the upscale department stores this mall had it still didn't have the stores we are wishing for.

Youre right. For most of those stores (Prada, Missoni, FCUK) tend to be later entries, unlike Vuitton or Tiffany that aren' scared to be the first ones to open in a new market. Since most Prada items can be found in department stores, there might not be a high demand/sales at a Prada boutique and a department store would be enough. And all three of these have very few storse across the nation.

But I dont see Gucci or Hugo Boss as unlikely. Both have expanded to many markets. THey may not open immediately (Hugo Boss recently saw loss in profits so I dont think they will be opening new stores anytime soon, but they have stores in Minneapolis and Buffalo, cities that dont have Burberry/LV/things SP already has). Gucci and Hugo Boss are the most likely candidates I think, but I wouldn't dream too far with Prada, D&G, Missoni....all of which have only 6 or 7 stores in the states and will most likely open in Dallas or DC, before moving to smaller markets like Charlotte. Charlotte still has awhile before becoming a prime location for new luxury retailers (Keep in mind, Dallas once had many of these stores like Prada, Dior, etc, but closed do to poor performances. )

Edited by shrek05

(NOTE: I truly deeply wish we had a Bloomingdale's at SouthPark! :rolleyes: If they could only persuade to move Dillard's out.)
Dillard's isn't going anywhere, barring unusual circumstances. They own their building, that's a flagship store and they're spending all kinds of money to make it even more swanky.

How do we think the new SouthPark Dillard's will be? I went to the Stony Point Fashion Park one a few weeks ago and it was nice, although it didn't seem to be much better than the Northlake one. Are Dillard's top stores not much higher-quality than the chain's median (which I think is pretty high)? How's the Willow Bend one?

The on in Scottsdale at Scottsdale Fashion Square near Phoenix sells many higher brands.

Some include:

Men's Fashion: Polo Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, 7 for all Mankind, Calvin Klein, True Religion, Giorgio Armani, Emanuel Ungaro, etc.

Women's: Maxstudio, Max Mara, BCBG, Donna Karan, limited Chanel apparel, Juicy Couture, Theory, etc.

Handbags: Dooney and Bourke, Juicy Couture, kate spade, Gucci, Chanel (depends on day/how much in stock), Coach, etc.

Parfums: Hermes, Armani, Gucci, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, etc.

Ties: Valentino, Burberry, Ermengildo Zegna, etc.

But the store is also much larger than most at 350,000 square feet (largest in chain) and it sells a lot of inexpensive brands too, but stocks a good amount of high brands. I remember the Shops at WIllow Bend not as nice, but I havent been there in awhile. The store there is much smaller too

Edited by shrek05

How do we think the new SouthPark Dillard's will be? I went to the Stony Point Fashion Park one a few weeks ago and it was nice, although it didn't seem to be much better than the Northlake one. Are Dillard's top stores not much higher-quality than the chain's median (which I think is pretty high)? How's the Willow Bend one?
I think it will be a lot like Belk SouthPark is, upper-moderate bordering on high-end with some different exclusive brands thrown in for good measure. They definately have a plan to go as upmarket as they can. I hate that they destroyed their old facade, but it's onward and upward going forward. :) Edited by StevenRocks

i was looking at the mall website and noticed a slight change, instead of Polo/Ralph Lauren its Ralph Lauren, could this mean the designer's store or just the same merchandise we would see at Belk? Is there really a difference between Ralph Lauren and Polo/Ralph Lauren stores?

i was looking at the mall website and noticed a slight change, instead of Polo/Ralph Lauren its Ralph Lauren, could this mean the designer's store or just the same merchandise we would see at Belk? Is there really a difference between Ralph Lauren and Polo/Ralph Lauren stores?

There really isn't a difference between Polo Ralph Lauren and Ralph Lauren. At Polo Ralph Lauren (outlets and department stores), they will basically only carry merchandise that has the horse and polo player embroidered on the chest of a polo or t-shirt while at Ralph Lauren they carry primarily all Ralph Lauren brands such as Black Label, Blue Label, Lauren, Polo Jeans Co., Pink Pony, RLX, Polo Golf, Purple Label, and Polo Ralph Lauren. Hope this answers your question! It's nothing to worry about. :)

(Definitely not the same merchandise as in the department stores!)

This is what an actual Ralph Lauren store looks like on the inside incase any of you were wondering.

(NOTE: This is the Palm Beach store on Worth Ave so ours may not look as classy as this one is.)

IMG_1013.jpg