SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

is the Macy's at Southpark a regional flagship. they mentioned in the News and Observer that the crabtree Macy's will be the largest and the flagship of the region, but i don't know if it will be the one for NC. does this mean that the flagships will carry higher quality items, or just the exact same?

Ugh, I guess I should get into SouthPark to check out all of the new stuff. I'll wait for NM to open I guess. I think going to SP is a pain all together with the traffic in the neighborhood and in the mall itself even. But, it is the best mall in town anyway.

www.redbox.com

At McDonald's in certain metro areas.

Similar to the Hollywood Video box at SP. I've used it and think its a great idea.

is the Macy's at Southpark a regional flagship. they mentioned in the News and Observer that the crabtree Macy's will be the largest and the flagship of the region, but i don't know if it will be the one for NC. does this mean that the flagships will carry higher quality items, or just the exact same?
Macy's SouthPark is the largest Macy's in the Carolinas, so it does carry a lot of things that the typical store doesn't. It'll definately be a 'flagship' type operation.

the new dillards looks nice, but it still looks generic. as asked before, why are Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus choosing such original designs, while Dillards and Belk are going generic. It'll do for now i guess.

anyways, i thought the last store in the NM wing was to be announced today. is it too early to tell? we are all dying here for some info.

otbDilnc.jpg

I don't think this has been posted before....it's the rendering of the new SP Dillards.....wow.

I hate it. But it's not that bad. the rendering looks pretty nice.

the new dillards looks nice, but it still looks generic. as asked before, why are Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus choosing such original designs, while Dillards and Belk are going generic. It'll do for now i guess.
Dillard's is pretty much their latest prototype grafted onto an older (formerly better-looking) building, and so is Hecht's, though Hecht's is a little more creative mainly because how it's connected to to the mall proper is a little differnt than the typical setup.

Nordstrom is a prototype store through and through. It's a little different than the other stores in the chain, but if you look at enough of them side by side, you start to see the generic pattern.

On the other hand, I don't find Belk SouthPark's exterior to be generic at all. It has some really nice details, especially around the entries. The biggest problem that store has is too much dryvit, and having it all the same color doesn't help things.

What really screwed up Belk SouthPark was that the exterior design was changed at the last minute. The expansion/renovation's exterior was supposed to be a lot like the Northlake store, but when it went up for focus group review, the participants thought it was too contemporary. So they changed the cornice to a more neoclassical looking one and the entries were turned into modified pedimented entries with the rainbow-colored theatrical lighting you see today.

The hidden gem is Neiman Marcus. It's a solid design, and as original as a mall store would be in that context. Except for the brownish brick which ties it to the current mall look, its design would have worked on either old SouthPark or new SouthPark.

I e-mailed SouthPark, and this is the response I got.

BCBG MaxAzria - now open in the Neiman Marcus wing

Ralph Lauren - now open in the Neiman Marcus wing

Billy Reid - will open in late October

Hermes - will open in November

Crate & Barrel - will open November 16 in The Village at SouthPark

Juicy Couture - will open in December

I hadn't heard Juicy Couture before...is this the new accouncement?

I e-mailed SouthPark, and this is the response I got.

BCBG MaxAzria - now open in the Neiman Marcus wing

Ralph Lauren - now open in the Neiman Marcus wing

Billy Reid - will open in late October

Hermes - will open in November

Crate & Barrel - will open November 16 in The Village at SouthPark

Juicy Couture - will open in December

I hadn't heard Juicy Couture before...is this the new accouncement?

juicy is very high end - they sell it in nordstroms, nm, saks - this is a coup

for the mall since there are not many out there

Edited by moving uptown

are there any more empty stores in the mall for more stores to locate to? What is the space once held by Johnston and Murphy going to be? any others? It seems like SouthPark would be a hot location on most retail lists. also, does the final store in NM wing mean SP is done with its expansion of the mall itself? I know that the Village at SouthPark's retail is included on the mall's website, but for the mall itslef, is this it?

are there any more empty stores in the mall for more stores to locate to? What is the space once held by Johnston and Murphy going to be? any others? It seems like SouthPark would be a hot location on most retail lists. also, does the final store in NM wing mean SP is done with its expansion of the mall itself? I know that the Village at SouthPark's retail is included on the mall's website, but for the mall itslef, is this it?
Johnston and Murphy is moving back to their space near Belk's older mall entrance when they get done renovating.

SouthPark is basically complete. A flyer I have from a few years ago suggests this, because that was the bargaining chip they had with City Council to get the Nordstrom expansion and Village component approved. There is a possiblity of some sort of additional retail space in the future if parts of the complex are rebuilt or if the parking terrace under the mall is converted into retail space, but they're pretty much at their limit otherwise without the aquisition of additional land or a rezoning, which would be extremely contentious at best.

I just found an interesting article from the News and Observer about Neiman Marcus. Describes how much nicer the store will be compared with the Saks in Raleigh. It also answers a few questions, such as what designers the store will have and confirms there is not going to be a cafe. So not sure if there are many surprises in it, but it has a few more descriptions than I have seen in the Charlotte Observer. http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/483859.html

I just found an interesting article from the News and Observer about Neiman Marcus. Describes how much nicer the store will be compared with the Saks in Raleigh. It also answers a few questions, such as what designers the store will have and confirms there is not going to be a cafe. So not sure if there are many surprises in it, but it has a few more descriptions than I have seen in the Charlotte Observer. http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/483859.html

They are really working their grand opening. A few days, way up here at Lake Norman, I got an expensive shopping bag thing from them. (Expensive for mass distribution that is) I believe you get a discount for everything that you can fit into that bag during the grand opening. Southpark is easily a 30+ minute trip from here going one way (when the traffic is good) so they must be really wanting to get the word out.