SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I think it is pretty cool stuff. I agree that some of the images from their website leave a little to be desired but I have been to the store in Houston and I like it. I'm just too tall to wear it :(

According to my friend who will be a manager there, there target customer is 6'1" and 150 pounds.

isn't that like borderline anorexic?

How much you wanna bet Billy Reid won't last at SouthPark?

Why do you say that? I'm not saying it will or it won't, just curious why.

I was going through the materials they gave my friend and they have a pretty aggressive expansion plan. Billy Reid (it is just him and 2 investors) wants to add 3-4 stores each year for the next 2-3 years. I found that kind of quick for a brand that is so small.

That Crate & Barrel store is beautiful! I went shopping for some glassware at the department stores in the mall and while Belk's in particular is very good and is on the whole more upscale than Crate & Barrel, the department stores need to make their housewares departments as stylish as C&B.

Department stores are doing well these days because they have turned the corner with their clothes selections (and presentation), making them better than in-line tenants, but they also need to upgrade their housewares departments.

Why do you say that? I'm not saying it will or it won't, just curious why.
The buzz I've heard about the place makes it sound rather odd and edgy for a boutique in a mall. SouthPark doesn't really do 'odd' or 'edgy' well.

That Crate & Barrel store is beautiful! I went shopping for some glassware at the department stores in the mall and while Belk's in particular is very good and is on the whole more upscale than Crate & Barrel, the department stores need to make their housewares departments as stylish as C&B.

Department stores are doing well these days because they have turned the corner with their clothes selections (and presentation), making them better than in-line tenants, but they also need to upgrade their housewares departments.

Crate & Barrel displays its wares very well, keeps the basics in stock season after season, and the prices are really good. Department stores could stand to learn a lesson or two from them, to be sure.

Of SouthPark's department store home departments, Belk is the best for silver, china and crystal, and Macy's for domestics and small applicances (though not as good as Hecht's was). Dillard's isn't particurally good at home store, and Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom sell mostly home gifts.

Edited by StevenRocks

The buzz I've heard about the place makes it sound rather odd and edgy for a boutique in a mall. SouthPark doesn't really do 'odd' or 'edgy' well.

Crate & Barrel displays its wares very well, keeps the basics in stock season after season, and the prices are really good. Department stores could stand to learn a lesson or two from them, to be sure.

Of SouthPark's department store home departments, Belk is the best for silver, china and crystal, and Macy's for domestics and small applicances (though not as good as Hecht's was). Dillard's isn't particurally good at home store, and Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom sell mostly home gifts.

I agree. The Dillard's home store, on the 3rd floor, is a disaster and is a complete mess.

How much you wanna bet Billy Reid won't last at SouthPark?
I'm gonna stay optomistic on this one. He has done very well in downtown Homewood, AL. The' Ham is at least as conservative as Charlotte. And the clothes on the website are that attention grabbing stuff that all designers put in GQ and Esquire. The "real" stuff is much more laid back and cool, albeit incredibly expensive.

I got a chance to check out Crate & Barrel yesterday. It's very well-done and the customer traffic was amazing. I think we have a winner.

I really liked the short escalator on the first floor that takes care of the grade change between the mall side entrance and the main sales floor. :)

I also checked out Dillard's and Neiman Marcus.

All three new Dillard's entrances are open and there are some interior hints of the new design. It's taken me a while to accept that Ivey's was dead, an this new work pretty much sealed the deal. The old parts of the store are a shadow of their former self, and it'd be better to have a fresh design than to worry about what was at this point. We got plenty of pictures anyway ;)

Neiman Marcus is overdoing the security. I was there with my friend checking out the sale merchandise and you could feel the cold stares of the sales associates at us, trying to figure out (hoping maybe) if we were trying to steal something. This is not good, and it's a definate change from when I was there in September. Other NM stores i've been in don't do that, and neither should NM SouthPark.

Edited by StevenRocks

Neiman Marcus is overdoing the security. I was there with my friend checking out the sale merchandise and you could feel the cold stares of the sales associates at us, trying to figure out (hoping maybe) if we were trying to steal something. This is not good, and it's a definate change from when I was there in September. Other NM stores i've been in don't do that, and neither should NM SouthPark.

I agree with you. NM has been less than welcoming to me at times as well. I've gone into NM wearing ordinary clothes and have gotten nothing but icy looks from the sales people, even though I was ready to spend plenty on clothes. On Friday I went in there, wearing a Ralph Lauren suit, Burberry tie and Prada shoes, and the sales people wouldn't go away; they kept coming up to me, smiling, offering to assist with what seemed to be any of my needs in life, etc. Inconsistency is not appealing to me.

Inconsistency is not appealing to me.

Neither is a discriminating sales staff. Your story kind of reminds me of how Julia Roberts was treated by the staff in one of the clothing boutiques in 'Pretty Women' only to be shunned, and then later embraced after they knew she had money thanks to Mr. Richard Gere and all. (not that I am a huge fan or anything of that movie, but you get my drift :P )

A2

Edited by A2

I work with 2 former NM employee's at my new store (1 was on commission and 1 was not) and from what they say, the sales people at NM should be trying to help anyone they can. The sales just aren't there. Some sales associates will go days and days between sales. The moral amongst the employees is poor. NM promised them they would make all this money and it just isn't happening. I think in time it will become a great place, but its off to a slow start.

I work with 2 former NM employee's at my new store (1 was on commission and 1 was not) and from what they say, the sales people at NM should be trying to help anyone they can. The sales just aren't there. Some sales associates will go days and days between sales. The moral amongst the employees is poor. NM promised them they would make all this money and it just isn't happening. I think in time it will become a great place, but its off to a slow start.
I love Neiman Marcus, and I try to buy something every couple times I'm in there, but it's still going to be a hard sell in this market.

Case in point: I found a wonderful Brioni jacket that fit me perfectly, but the sale price was more than I make in two months! Granted, I don't expect them to adjust their prices to fit me, but there's still a learning curve for merchandise at that price point, even among high-earners. Charlotte's going to get there, trust me, but it's a nice sized jump price-wise from Belk and Nordstrom.