SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I've not had that experience at Neiman's. I was there yesterday wearing jeans, a long sleeve t and a baseball cap and was greeted warmly and was engaged in several conversations (in shoes and the Paul Smith dept) with store employees. One even complimented me on my jacket (which I bought 10 years ago at Eddie Bauer for $45).

I love fashion but on my budget I usually graze over at Marshall's or vintage shops where you can get deals without the icy stares :shades: Several clerks did greet me and then one said there is a big SALE he emphasized the( "S" word )going on for you :lol: ( I wanted to put my hands on my hips and say do I look like I can't afford to pay retail?) But he probably would have said yes :lol: ). But I just smiled and said thank you. Most of the NM clerks could not afford to shop there without the employee discount. I don't think that is snobby to say. I can't afford to shop there either unless they have triple markdowns. So they just need to drop the attitude. After laughing at a horrifically tacky 1k D&G jacket I happily rejoined the peasant masses at The GAP.

Edited by voyager12

I love Neiman Marcus, and I try to buy something every couple times I'm in there, but it's still going to be a hard sell in this market.

Case in point: I found a wonderful Brioni jacket that fit me perfectly, but the sale price was more than I make in two months! Granted, I don't expect them to adjust their prices to fit me, but there's still a learning curve for merchandise at that price point, even among high-earners. Charlotte's going to get there, trust me, but it's a nice sized jump price-wise from Belk and Nordstrom.

There is A LOT of money here in Charlotte and they all spend well so I don't think it will be a learning curve (for the elite). But for the rest of the market, it will be. You're right though... people used to shopping at Belk and even Nordstrom will be a little taken back at the price at first but I think in time, will warm up to it. I'm not saying they will jump ship on Belk and Nordstroms and only shop at NM, but over time the percentage spent at NM compared to the others will grow.

Take a look at Hermes. Their market research (taken from internet sales and sales from the Atlanta and Washington DC) showed a HUGE client base in the Carolinas and even into eastern Tennessee. And we aren't just talking scraves and ties... ready to wear, L'Art de Vivre, and L'Art de la'Table and did VERY well. But, will it be a slow start? Yes, because it is a small percentage of the client base that doens't have to worry about dropping 4-7k on a suit, or 13k on a handbag. For the rest of the potential client base, it will take time, just like NM. But, there is a client base here that cannot wait for the store to open and have already tried to pre-order items.

I would say give both (or any high end retailer) 5 years and you will see some VERY successful stores.

I've been into Neiman's a few times and found everyone to be very helpful. I was picking up a couple Christmas gifts on Saturday and the place was absolutely mobbed. The sales guy told me they weren't used to being so busy. I took that to mean they were getting off to a slow start. I really hope they do well here.

I've been into Neiman's a few times and found everyone to be very helpful. I was picking up a couple Christmas gifts on Saturday and the place was absolutely mobbed. The sales guy told me they weren't used to being so busy. I took that to mean they were getting off to a slow start. I really hope they do well here.

Can I be on your gift list :whistling:

Yeah, DWR is a great store. LeCorbu, and Mies chairs...very mod and cool!

As far as NM goes, I think they're doing just fine. I have a friend who is a sales rep for a company that serves them and he told me Nieman's has already reordered merchandise for the SP store. Besides, the whole reason they opened here was because Charlotte area zip codes gave them their highest catalog sales in the US.

For NM- it seems as if that is one chain that very rarely closes a store. Thus the chain either eats losses for a long time in some locations or just does sufficient research to ensure that its store sites will be successful. I'd guess it's the latter. Perhaps the store will need some merchandise shifting to match the audience, but look how well Nordstrom seems to do- surely NM can do OK at least.

I think they will do even better if they were less snooty. I realize NM serves a very upscale clientele but that does not excuse snobbery and making people feel bad. Sometimes I think that is SouthPark's marketing strategy. Eastland may need metal detectors at their entrance. Over at SouthPark they will probably start requiring bank statements before allowing people inside.

I think they will do even better if they were less snooty. I realize NM serves a very upscale clientele but that does not excuse snobbery and making people feel bad. Sometimes I think that is SouthPark's marketing strategy. Eastland may need metal detectors at their entrance. Over at SouthPark they will probably start requiring bank statements before allowing people inside.

:lol:

I don't get an overly snobbish feeling at SouthPark overall. My recent experience at NM, and the other time I was at Belk that I mentioned back in this thread is not typical of my experience of there. Most times the stores seem reasonably welcoming, even if the price point is a little higher than what I can afford at full retail.

The fact is that there are still plenty of affordable stores there. Gap, American Eagle, Dick's, Belk, Dillard's and Macy's (among others) don't charge more at SouthPark than anywhere else, though they tend to carry different stuff.

There's been a definate change at SouthPark. Ten years ago, it was an aging but elegant Modernist temple in a grass and asphalt field. Now it's a lot more urban, dense and showy. I can take issue with some of the details, but it's still around and still popular, which is more than I can say for a lot of malls.

so i was coming out of nordstroms this afternoon and who do i see - dikembe mutombo - the 7'2" basketball player for the houston rockets. the bobcats dont play the rockets tonight or tomorrow and didnt play them yesterday so he would have no reason to be in town. he looked like he was just killing time. i went in to tiffanys and asked the folks and they told me some event took place in the mall with some out of town basketbal players - anyone have any info?

so i was coming out of nordstroms this afternoon and who do i see - dikembe mutombo - the 7'2" basketball player for the houston rockets. the bobcats dont play the rockets tonight or tomorrow and didnt play them yesterday so he would have no reason to be in town. he looked like he was just killing time. i went in to tiffanys and asked the folks and they told me some event took place in the mall with some out of town basketbal players - anyone have any info?

Hmmm, interesting.

Does anyone think that the new condos going up on Fairview and Park will push for a more pedestrian-friendly path to the mall? I think it would be great to have more connectivety between the mall and the various neighborhoods. I've heard that the new development, South Fair Plaza, may have some connectivety with the Fairmeadows neighborhood. That would be a great thing, because you could extend a path to the mall.

Does anyone think that the new condos going up on Fairview and Park will push for a more pedestrian-friendly path to the mall? I think it would be great to have more connectivety between the mall and the various neighborhoods. I've heard that the new development, South Fair Plaza, may have some connectivety with the Fairmeadows neighborhood. That would be a great thing, because you could extend a path to the mall.

I haven't seen this development. How is the progress?