SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I went to the Charlotte NM over Christmas. It was nice, but nothing special. Services was D+ at best, a lot of the sales staff ignored me (some were standing around in a group chatting) some said hi, and only 1 offered any real assistance.

I'm not a big time luxury buyer, but I do on occasion throw down a large chunk of change for a new suit, some ties, shoes, etc. I always keep track of good sales reps and ask for business cards, and when I am ready to spend, I track them down and give them my business.

No one at NM made me want to spend, and with Tayler Richards Cogner providing equal (or possibly nicer) men's close with over the top customer service, I don't expect to spend much at NM ever when in town.

Perhaps more to the point, it keeps out the riff-raff.

Seems discriminatory to me...From all I have heard I will NEVER shop at this stuck-up joint (and I live basically right nextdoor). Thanks to all who have posted their personal experiences.

FWIW, I am thinking of going into NM in some really less than appealing apperal, not shaven , and then kind of just look around :whistling: . I just wanna see one of those sales people give me a suspicious eye :ph34r: . It will be the one customer that they will not be sorry they did. I always like to make people feel the brunt of the pain that they try to inflict upon others. Seems bad, but stuck up snobs need to be kept in check. <_<

A2

I also think that NM's payment policy is a marketing gimmick to make them seem " exclusive". I guess it works.
I dunno. Costco does the same thing and charges a membership fee.

Turns out that Bergdorf Goodman in NYC, which is owned by Neiman Marcus, takes Visa; I bought something there on Saturday. In NYC perhaps a high-end store cannot get away with snootiness/difficulty since there are so many other high-end stores that will gladly snatch away its business?
Bergdorf Goodman has a lot of international and tourist customers, so they'd lose a lot of business not accepting Visa. NM treats them differently in the corporate hirearchy becuase of this. I actually prefer BG over NM usually, but NM is easier to get to.

No one at NM made me want to spend, and with Tayler Richards Cogner providing equal (or possibly nicer) men's close with over the top customer service, I don't expect to spend much at NM ever when in town.
I think it comes down to subjective factors when comparing one store's service to another. I'm not a big TRC fan because I've never gotten very good service there, whereas Old Dog Clothing Co. and Paul Simon Co. have always been hospitable.

NM is just going through some growing pains, I'm sure, and I wouldn't be shocked if someone who works for NM isn't reading UP and trying to do something about the problems.

NM is just going through some growing pains, I'm sure, and I wouldn't be shocked if someone who works for NM isn't reading UP and trying to do something about the problems.

I remember that when a Parisian and a Dillard's opened near where I was living about 10 years ago, I shopped at both shortly after they opened. StevenRocks, I know your view of Parisian and I'm not trying to say it's upscale, but but by comparison to NM, when I shopped at Parisian, I was warmly greeted and was offered a Coke, and the sales people really went out of their way to be friendly and even wrote me a thank you note. At Dillard's, I was also warmly greeted and was sent a handwritten thank you note after I bought a Nautica shirt (not fancy at all). If those two chains can get customer service done well right off the bat, what's wrong with NM? NM was horrible!

Edited by mallguy

A couple of other notes from my trip to SP the day after Christmas.

I LOVED Billy Reid, but the sales staff wasn't too interested (which is odd considering the other positive comments from other posters). I wanted an excuse to buy something, but my few clothing NEEDS couldn't be filled with what they had in stock. Stll, there were many wants in the store.

Also, Belk seems to have really moved up a notch in its men's casual fashion department. Not too long ago, it didn't have much at all to speak of that wasn't Kenneth Cole or Perry Ellis. Everything really upscale was golf related. Now they are carrying jeans from Seven, a lot from Diesel, and some others that I can't remember.

On the other hand, I was greatly undewhelmed by Macy's. They seemed to be stocking the men's lines Belk did 3 years ago. Their home furnishing department looked ok, but I didn't explore it too much.

All in all, most places were underwhelming in terms of customer service. I never imagined that I'd get more attentive service in Boston than in Charlotte, but alas it seemed that way. For the record, though I may not have been in full business atire, I wasn't exactly dressed like I was hurting for money.

I went into NM a few weeks ago in ripped jeans ( inexpensive GAP jeans that wore out naturally, I refuse to pay $300 and over for the same thing because there is a trendy name on the rear pocket) and major bed head,all the clerks looked right through me, it was annoying and funny at the same time.

I've been treated badly at NM. I don't really care when it happens to me. I move on to someone who can help me without annoying me. I will not tolerate an SA treating other people badly, especially if they treat me better. If any of you were treated badly in front of me, I would be LIVID. :angry:

I think some SAs at SP think they're supposed to be snooty. They don't seem to know any better.

i was treated nicely by the first guy i saw in the Men's dept. I was even wearing a t-shirt and shorts and still treated like a celeb. he offered something to drink and gave me excellent advice on sizes and online orders. I ended leaving with two shirts and a pair of jeans. then again, that was the second week they were open so maybe times have changed

I hope you guys don't give up on NM. It might be the new-ness of the store and unfamiliarity of the employees. Maybe it will get better in a couple months?

Too late. I can walk down the hallway and get nice merchandise at Nordstrom or equal merchandise at Saks in New York, both with a lot more selection and for a lot less frustration.

Edited by mallguy

I remember that when a Parisian and a Dillard's opened near where I was living about 10 years ago, I shopped at both shortly after they opened. StevenRocks, I know your view of Parisian and I'm not trying to say it's upscale, but but by comparison to NM, when I shopped at Parisian, I was warmly greeted and was offered a Coke, and the sales people really went out of their way to be friendly and even wrote me a thank you note. At Dillard's, I was also warmly greeted and was sent a handwritten thank you note after I bought a Nautica shirt (not fancy at all). If those two chains can get customer service done well right off the bat, what's wrong with NM? NM was horrible!
If Parisian and Dillard's did all that for you that's certainly impressive, but overall what service one gets in a store is still subjective. For example, I've never run into anyone that helpful or giving in either Parisian and Dillard's, and I've never recieved a thank-you note. But at NM SouthPark, I've gotten both and the time it happened I only spent $55.00 and was wearing a John Deere t-shirt I bought at JCPenney and running sneakers.

Also, Belk seems to have really moved up a notch in its men's casual fashion department. Not too long ago, it didn't have much at all to speak of that wasn't Kenneth Cole or Perry Ellis. Everything really upscale was golf related. Now they are carrying jeans from Seven, a lot from Diesel, and some others that I can't remember.

On the other hand, I was greatly undewhelmed by Macy's. They seemed to be stocking the men's lines Belk did 3 years ago. Their home furnishing department looked ok, but I didn't explore it too much.

I agree on the first point. Belk SouthPark has low fashion points every few years, but they've gotten a lot more hip of late. Still not as great as the glory years of the late '90s when you could get Ferragamo and Corneliani sportswear, but it'll do.

Macy's SouthPark isn't much different than Hecht's was, and I didn't spend much time and money in Hecht's. It's really typical, merchandise wise, with an emphasis on the brands you can usually find everywhere else. Oh well, they stay open late on the weekends. :P

I dunno if this has been mentioned but Oakley is closing at Southpark. Everything is 50% off except eyewear and watches. the manager is even willing to negotiate prices. i got some tshirts, a laptop bag, and the golf bag for a touch over $200. the golf bag alone is $320 and the laptop bag is $175 full retail.

they close the doors on Sunday.

I dunno if this has been mentioned but Oakley is closing at Southpark. Everything is 50% off except eyewear and watches. the manager is even willing to negotiate prices. i got some tshirts, a laptop bag, and the golf bag for a touch over $200. the golf bag alone is $320 and the laptop bag is $175 full retail.

they close the doors on Sunday.

It didnt fit in well with the other types of stores in SP......I can picture it in Concord Mills or Carolina Place, but not SouthPark.....oh well! United Colors of Benneton now is your chance to remodel! AND ADD Sisley right next to you! :thumbsup:

I've been in NM several times now and have been treated well by everyone in the store. I was wearing a baseball cap and jeans every single time. In fact, last night I went in and purchased a new pair of John Varvatos boots (man I love 60% off!!) and the gentleman waiting on me was great. He cracked jokes with me and gave me his card telling me to please visit again. I guess I'm going in on different days than some of y'all are.

As for Billy Reid, if I had the income, I'd buy everything from them. I've been in twice now, have purchased nothing, but the manager called me by name when I walked in last night. My last visit was before Christmas. Still didn't make a purchase yesterday, but I did enjoy a nice glass of Wild Turkey on the rocks.