SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Saks has a history of opening in smaller markets. I lived in Charleston when they opened their store downtown on King across from Charleston Place. From what I hear they do well but not spectacular business. If Charleston has a Saks and can support it I wonder why Charlotte lacks one but perhaps we are too close to Atlanta and The Triangle to justify a store at SP.

Edited by voyager12

Saks has a history of opening in smaller markets. I lived in Charleston when they opened their store downtown on King across from Charleston Place. From what I hear they do well but not spectacular business. If Charleston has a Saks and can support it I wonder why Charlotte lacks one but perhaps we are too close to Atlanta and The Triangle to justify a store at SP.
The Charleston Saks is one of the chain's "resort market" stores. They have one just like it in Sarasota. Those stores are geared to tourists rather than the local population.

The Charleston Saks is one of the chain's "resort market" stores. They have one just like it in Sarasota. Those stores are geared to tourists rather than the local population.

You are right on. Its just like the Shops at Charleston Place. Gucci, Anne Fontaine, Yves Delorme, St. John, the tourists lured them there.

You are right on. Its just like the Shops at Charleston Place. Gucci, Anne Fontaine, Yves Delorme, St. John, the tourists lured them there.

And also of note, in an effort to downsize underperforming stores, Saks has closed several of their "resort" stores.

well south park is comparable to lenox in many ways. But south park cant really compete with it because lenox offers alot more then southpark such as salvatore ferragmo, cartier, bloomingdales, french connection, club monaco, david yurman sony style, davante,mark shale,betsey johnson,nicole miller plus all th new stores that are about to open calvin klien shabby chic zara. miss sixty energie true religion diesel, chanel and YSL but over all i like the mall but when i go to southpark i dont get a different expeience because i have seen it all before

And ii wondr why they dont have a saks thats wierd? i wonder if they will get on in th future

well south park is comparable to lenox in many ways. But south park cant really compete with it because lenox offers alot more then southpark such as salvatore ferragmo, cartier, bloomingdales, french connection, club monaco, david yurman sony style, davante,mark shale,betsey johnson,nicole miller plus all th new stores that are about to open calvin klien shabby chic zara. miss sixty energie true religion diesel, chanel and YSL but over all i like the mall but when i go to southpark i dont get a different expeience because i have seen it all before

And ii wondr why they dont have a saks thats wierd? i wonder if they will get on in th future

Let's not forget Atlanta is also more than twice the size of Charlotte, which is why it has what it has, and it is also a hub city.....people drive there from other near-by states to go shopping there. I think if the wealthy people in charlotte didn't go out of town to shop maybe the stores in charlotte would do better and persuade others to open? who knows....

SouthPark wasn't built to compete with Atlanta, but to provide a few luxury retailers for the Charlotte Market. For now, it looks like its built out. Rather than comparing Atlanta to Charlotte, you should be comparing Atlanta to Miami, Houston or Dallas. Shopping districts in these three cities would have the same effect on Phipps as Phipps does on SP.

Let's not forget Atlanta is also more than twice the size of Charlotte, which is why it has what it has, and it is also a hub city.....people drive there from other near-by states to go shopping there. I think if the wealthy people in charlotte didn't go out of town to shop maybe the stores in charlotte would do better and persuade others to open? who knows....

Manhasset is a town of 8000. Yet, it has one of the US's only Mulberry boutiques. :dontknow:

Edited by Manolos

Manhasset is a town of 8000. Yet, it has one of the US's only Mulberry boutiques. :dontknow:

It helps when your in one of the wealthiest counties in the country (Nassau) and a suburb of NYC.

Like Manolos was implying, I don't think it matters so much as how many people there are in one place but instead to the average household income. For a city the size of Charlotte to have some of the stores we have says a lot.

Edited by nyxmike

Charlotte is also not driven by style the way some other cities are. It has a sizeable wealthy population, but most of those are in fairly buttoned-down industries like banking or energy. We don't have nearly as many fashionistas per capita as you'd see in places like Miami or even Atlanta.

Charlotte is also not driven by style the way some other cities are. It has a sizeable wealthy population, but most of those are in fairly buttoned-down industries like banking or energy. We don't have nearly as many fashionistas per capita as you'd see in places like Miami or even Atlanta.

Charlotte isnt as fashionable as NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, or ATL..........but if you ask me I think it's definately more fashion forward than Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Kansas City, Buffalo, Richmond, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Salt Lake City....which are all close to the same size and some even bigger with close to the same demographics as Charlotte....

Charlotte isnt as fashionable as NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, or ATL..........but if you ask me I think it's definately more fashion forward than Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Kansas City, Buffalo, Richmond, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Salt Lake City....which are all close to the same size and some even bigger with close to the same demographics as Charlotte....

What makes you say that?

I wonder if there has ever been any consideration of making the SP concourses two floors? The atriums that can be created in these structures can be beautiful. Phipps Plaza comes to mind. I have always thought the large atrium in that mall is very striking and nice to look at.

I wonder if there has ever been any consideration of making the SP concourses two floors? The atriums that can be created in these structures can be beautiful. Phipps Plaza comes to mind. I have always thought the large atrium in that mall is very striking and nice to look at.
There are some oppurtunities to make SouthPark two levels, to be sure. For one thing, all but one of the department stores has a salesfloor above the main mall level.

There are some oppurtunities to make SouthPark two levels, to be sure. For one thing, all but one of the department stores has a salesfloor above the main mall level.

I think its past due for them to make southpark 2 stories....may the never-ending expansion continue!!! :yahoo:

Looked better before.

Seriously...this is a large company. You would think that their people in charge would have more progessive thinking on architecture, especially considering that this is their flagship store (it is, right?). It doesn't really surprise me with this company, though. Have you seen their ads in magazines like GQ or Details? It's like they only hire people stuck in the suburban strip-mall frame of mind. The ads and the architecture look so cheap and amateur compared with Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales, or Neiman Marcus. I know I may be going a bit out of Dillard's league with those comparisons, but I really think this company needs to work on a new image in many aspects.

I went to dinner tonight at M5 the new restaurant at The Village. The set up is nice. A little trendy but not nauseatingly so. The inside is typical upscale bistro and they have placed large reclining white couches outside among the tables. Trying to copy the NYC club scene. The food is good but not spectacular. The portions are tapas size. It does not look like any of the apts in The Residence above are completed yet. I am sure they will be nice but personally I would hate living at SouthPark Mall and having to navigate through those traffic choked roads and parking lots on a daily basis.

Edited by voyager12