SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

That's a disappointment to hear. :( Here's a link to some photos of SouthPark:

A friend of mine's website dedicated to malls.

Your friend seems very familiar... ;) He's terrific and knows more about retail than anyone I've known. Smart, smart guy.

To get back on topic, maybe Mr. Friend could move some of his historical SP pics over here? Do you have any pictures from the period just before "the change"?

SCAD is the top art school in the country and has been a major supporter of the fashion design industry.

Edited by charlotte_bon_vivant

Your friend seems very familiar... ;) He's terrific and knows more about retail than anyone I've known. Smart, smart guy.

To get back on topic, maybe Mr. Friend could move some of his historical SP pics over here? Do you have any pictures from the period just before "the change"?

My reputation precedes me ;) Thanks, guys. I'm humbled that what I do is worthwhile to others.

I get a lot of SouthPark pics from a friend of mine who has a massive collection, and I'd have to ask him to see if he'd mind me shadowing them on UP.

I have several shots from before and during the renovation, but my ability to secure photographs decreased considerably after Simon took over mall management.

One Flickr set of note can be seen if you click below. This was from 2000, and is mostly Belk, but it's just one of the things I have

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearchitect/...57600508174815/

• 3 weeks later...

The Counter...a old-time diner style burger joint....is coming to The Village at SouthPark....from their website, it looks like they only have 3 in California and 1 in suburban Dallas, though a lot more in California are in the works.

http://www.thecounterburger.com/

Dang, its not going to open for another year or so

Getting back to the mall, Southpark has done well in my opinion of securing some very good luxury retail during the expansion, such as Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Bob Ellis, and Hermes. But maybe the mall needs to focus on upscale, hip retail such as Miss Sixty/Energie, True Religion, or Diesel. I think any of these would be an effective marketing decision to cater to the younger hip affluent shoppers.

Getting back to the mall, Southpark has done well in my opinion of securing some very good luxury retail during the expansion, such as Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Bob Ellis, and Hermes. But maybe the mall needs to focus on upscale, hip retail such as Miss Sixty/Energie, True Religion, or Diesel. I think any of these would be an effective marketing decision to cater to the younger hip affluent shoppers.

Me, and all of my European, Asian, Middle Eastern, and Northern friends have been praying for an A/X to come to CLT for at least the past 5 years! That and FCUK.....I dont know whats taking so long! if Kansas City and Austin can have them than CLT can too!

Me, and all of my European, Asian, Middle Eastern, and Northern friends have been praying for an A/X to come to CLT for at least the past 5 years! That and FCUK.....I dont know whats taking so long! if Kansas City and Austin can have them than CLT can too!

Oh Temeteron, A/X is fabulous at Phipps Plaza and French Connection is really cool at Lenox.

I'm sorry Charlotte doesn't have these two yet. :(

But as you know Southpark, Lenox, and Phipps are all owned by Simon, so the current marketing director at Southpark was transferred from Phipps. I just don't understand what the problem is, Charlotte has alot of hip, cool, and affluent young people and would be the perfect location for A/X or FCUK, and the others I mentioned. Marketing needs to definately catch up to Charlotte.

They are the ones running behind, not the cool folks of Charlotte!!! :good:

It's like I've said before, if you want to see more contemporary sportswear at SouthPark, contact the brands and buy from the merchants in the market that sell those brands (if any). Retail follows demand.

I go to ATL as much as I can, which isnt often.....what else am i supposed to do.....write a petition lol

It's like I've said before, if you want to see more contemporary sportswear at SouthPark, contact the brands and buy from the merchants in the market that sell those brands (if any). Retail follows demand.

But Steven, it appears that Charlotte has the demand, so why isn't retail following the bread crumbs to Charlotte?

The Counter looks like a cool enough place. I'll definitely have some fun building burgers. I did notice that sweet tea wasn't on the menu and the tea they do have doesn't have free refills next to it on the menu like the soft drinks do. Sweet tea with free refills is a must in the South. Not only that, I saw they have a store coming to Atlanta. Believe it or not I think GA has a not so well enforced state law requiring all restaurants that serve unsweetened tea to also serve sweetened tea. Hopefully they will research the market enough to know we need some sweet tea with our burgers :thumbsup: .

But Steven, it appears that Charlotte has the demand, so why isn't retail following the bread crumbs to Charlotte?
The question is really "why isn't upscale retail following the bread crumbs to Charlotte?"

Charlotte has already pulled some stores into thew market that are major players (NM, Tiffany, Hermes, et cetera). They are attracting attention to the Charlotte, to be sure, but the market still has room to grow before some of the other names you want to see will consider opening. There's still a relatively small demand for that type of merchandise.