SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I truly hope its a True Religion! That would be wonderful.....It would be amazing to see a Jasmine Sola come to the Village at SP.....they have those in the NE....and there's one location in Miami.....Jasmine Sola is based in Boston and carries brands like: True Religion, Rock & Republic, J & Company, Chip & Pepper, Puma, Miss Sixty, and 7 jeans.....

Well, it most likely isn't a True Religion store :( but they might sell it :)

I was looking through craigslist for a part time job, and I stumbled upon this posting under the retail section:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ret/416174633.html

It says Pure Retail Group is a successful premium denim retailer and will be opening a boutique in South Park and is looking for employees.

i went by it the other day, its actually ***PURE DENIM*** Not True Denim and unfortunately not True Religion......maybe its just an independantly owned boutique that will carry high end denim? (Hopefully)

From what I have been told by someone who has been to one, it is... I forgot the names he mentioned... paper denim and cloth, citizen, 7, etc...

Steven or mljones, I've been wondering how well Neiman Marcus has been doing at SP. Sometimes I'll go in there and it's packed to the rafters, other times, I'm dodging tumbleweeds. I know retailers judges store performance on year-over-year results and they should be just about there now. Any word/rumblings/feelings?

Edited by turbocraig

Steven or mljones, I've been wondering how well Neiman Marcus has been doing at SP. Sometimes I'll go in there and it's packed to the rafters, other times, I'm dodging tumbleweeds. I know retailers judges store performance on year-over-year results and they should be just about there now. Any word/rumblings/feelings?

The store is doing well. With NM we don't need a lot of traffic in order to make our numbers.

How does the size of the store correlate to the success of the store? I'm not a retailer, I mean, is a smaller Belk likely to perform better than a larger Belk.

Just wondering how it all works?

Being a smaller store does not automatically mean that it should be doing well, but a smaller store has less overhead (fewer goods stocked, fewer employees, etc.) and so can produce lower revenue and still be profitable.

If a bigger store has huge volume and the costs are similar, it should be a better performer (annual revenues less costs) but if the volume slumps, the smaller store may be better. It's all about margin (profitability.) If the smaller store is hugely profitable then the owner will probably move to exapnd or enlarge it to increase revenues and hopefully profitability as well.

Edited by 1979Heel

How does the size of the store correlate to the success of the store? I'm not a retailer, I mean, is a smaller Belk likely to perform better than a larger Belk.

I think what he is implying is that the Atlanta Neiman Marcus is 3 levels and has been very successfull since 1972. But the consumers wanted more luxury brands not offered at the store, and chose to go elsewhere to find them. Neiman Marcus responded by enlarging the store, where upon completion in February 2008, it will be the largest Neiman Marcus outside of Texas and offer a large amount of designers that previously were not available, and also increased stock of designers that have been available.

They don't want anyone not finding what they want and going to Saks or Bloomingdales to find it and end up loosing a sale.

^And that relates to Charlotte's NM because.... ? I realize you were answering the question of a subsequent poster, but I think most of us saw that atlforlife's amateur remark for what it was.

Yes, it was a very amateur remark indeed.

This relates to Charlotte's Neiman Marcus because they used creative thought in the design of the store. Right now the store is the right size for Charlotte. But if demand rises as it did with the Atlanta Neiman Marcus, the Charlotte NM was designed to hold a future 3rd level which I think was very smart thinking on the part of Neiman Marcus. So as demand grows just as it did in Atlanta, Neiman Marcus will expand and add the 3rd level to the Charlotte specialty retailer, thus bringing in designers just like Atlanta that were not previously available, and also increasing stock on specific designers where needed.

well it is a very small NM so it should be doing very well i mean they dont have that big of a selection over there

Answering your question Durhamite. Atlforlife's posot doesn't make much sense so don't be confused. Just because a store is small does not indicate whether its a strong performer or a poor performer. 1979Heel answered pretty well. In the most cases, a larger store would most likely perform better because the location has caused a need for a larger location. Companies don't open a larger store if the location can't support the larger store. Also, the larger store means better stock, more variety, etc. These stores also tend to carry higher-end brand which increase the sales (a store in BH that sells 1 Louboutin for every Via Spiga sold in Denver would have much higher sales, this also correlates to luxury malls with greater number of luxury tenants having higher sales per square feet.) However, this does not mean that a small store cannot outsell or outperform a larger store. Take for example the Neiman Marcus in Scottsdale, Arizona. NM opened in the area in 1993 with a 100,000 square foot store, small for the NM brand. However, as sales took off, the location couldn't expand (as it is located in a rather dense area of town), but the company didnt believe the metropolitan area could support a second NM at the time. As a result, the store stocked the store with many more high-end brands, being one of the few NMs around the country with high stocks of Mulberry, Chloe, Bulga, Balenciaga, and one of three stocking SK-II products (just a few examples.) With the removal of many of the lower-priced items and introducing higher-end items, the sales at the store increased a lot. All in all, you can't predict the performance from the size of the store. Many factors come into play, including what is stocked, passenger traffic. While the NM at SP may have dead periods (which you shouldn't worry about unless its mid-day Saturday or something, all malls have dead periods during the week), it may have high volumes of sales on the weekends.

Edited by Manolos

From what I can tell business is doing pretty well. My store is just a couple doors down and we see people with Neiman Marcus bags going in and out all the time. I know it isn't the most scientific way of measuring success but hey, it's all i got right now :P .

a couple people came in the store today from Pure Denim... they say they will carry your normal high end jeans (7 for All Mankind, etc...) but will also have some even higher end brands. didn't catch any names though as they caught us at a busy time.

Edited by mljones99