SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I saw immediately that atlforlife's post was snarky and backhanded. The point was, I believe, to dis Charlotte and its new NM. I just chose to ignore that part of it. Thanks very much to KD and Manolos and others for chiming in helpfully.

That was probably atlforlife's intention to play the game "my city's better than yours". I admire Charlotte and its people. I consider Charlotte to be an ever growing metropolis and one of the most progressive cities in the Southeastern U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went into "Pure Denim" the other day.....It is very nice! It has multiple locations, and is based out of Miami. The owner is very nice as well. They carry brands that are exclusive to CLT, which is something we need because True Relgion, Rock & Republic, Seven jeans, and Diesel are getting waaay too popular now to the point that they are not "exclusive" anymore.

Edited by Temeteron

So I went into "Pure Denim" the other day.....It is very nice! It has multiple locations, and is based out of Miami. The owner is very nice as well. They carry brands that are exclusive to CLT, which is something we need because True Relgion, Rock & Republic, Seven jeans, and Diesel are getting waaay too popular now to the point that they are not "exclusive" anymore.

When you make your trip to Atlanta, check out the Miss Sixty/ Energie line, Club Monaco, and FCUK at Lenox, and then in the Around Lenox shopping center there is a cool boutique called Blugenes.

Also you can go to Phipps to A/X Armani, Theory, GUCCI, Barneys New York Co-Op, and Gianni Versace that carries thier Signature Jeans or you can choose Versace Jeans Couture.

Hope that was helpfull to you Temeteron.

Edited by kennethdisraili

When you make your trip to Atlanta, check out the Miss Sixty/ Energie line, Club Monaco, and FCUK at Lenox, and then in the Around Lenox shopping center there is a cool boutique called Blugenes.

Also you can go to Phipps to A/X Armani, Theory, GUCCI, Barneys New York Co-Op, and Gianni Versace that carries thier Signature Jeans or you can choose Versace Jeans Couture.

Hope that was helpfull to you Temeteron.

Thanks my friend! But i know about all those places....i've been to ATL before, i make it out there once a year....its not my first time! lol.....it will be my first for the stores that just opened these past few months though!

We seem to have enough luxury retail at the moment, but Simon wanted to put in "trendy" retailers to serve the young, hip, affluent shoppers.

However keep your eyes on The Streets Of Buckhead under construction which is going big time luxury retail with comitments from Hermes, AG, Etro, Dominico Vacca, Loro Piana, and Bottega Veneta.

I can't afford to shop in any of these stores but they will be nice for the privliged of Atlanta.

OK so anyways, BACK TO SP Mall......I wonder if Dick's is doing well? I hope it's not.....it soooo doesn't fit in with the rest of the mall....bad enough we have to deal with Boring Dillard's!! :sick:

Speaking of boring stores that don't fit in: I used to think Tyson's Corner was categorically superior to South Park, but then I realized that you wade through miles(at least 1) of worthless sh*t just to get to one "unique" store. South Park on the other hand has a couple "unique" stores and a handful of actually unique stuff like Billy Ried. All of which are clumped together, and allow you to easily circumvent the mundane and uninteresting stores like Dillard's. So for my two cents Dick's and Dillard's are all right as long as they don't make it harder to get to the stuff you really want to see.

PS. I find it odd that SP and the surounding are has pretty decent selection for men, which is funny because men in the area seem (no offense) relatively void of fashion sense. Although I should note that a lot of the stores seem well acclimated to the regional mindset, so you see less tampering with structure(ie. Thom Brown) and more tampering with color and prep (Etro[Paul Simon], Martin Gordon[Old Dog], Billy Ried).

PS. I find it odd that SP and the surounding are has pretty decent selection for men, which is funny because men in the area seem (no offense) relatively void of fashion sense. Although I should note that a lot of the stores seem well acclimated to the regional mindset, so you see less tampering with structure(ie. Thom Brown) and more tampering with color and prep (Etro[Paul Simon], Martin Gordon[Old Dog], Billy Ried).
Charlotte men aren't afraid of color, but the styling stays fairly conservative. The excellent selection of menswear at SouthPark pretty much stays that course.

Speaking of boring stores that don't fit in: I used to think Tyson's Corner was categorically superior to South Park, but then I realized that you wade through miles(at least 1) of worthless sh*t just to get to one "unique" store. South Park on the other hand has a couple "unique" stores and a handful of actually unique stuff like Billy Ried. All of which are clumped together, and allow you to easily circumvent the mundane and uninteresting stores like Dillard's. So for my two cents Dick's and Dillard's are all right as long as they don't make it harder to get to the stuff you really want to see.

Charlotte men aren't afraid of color, but the styling stays fairly conservative. The excellent selection of menswear at SouthPark pretty much stays that course.

Is Dillard's really that awefull. SouthPark is the showcase mall of the Carolinas and it seems they would want to have a flagship presence in such an upscale mall.

Actually the Dillards at Southpark is pretty good, most people I have brought from out of town have been pretty impressed with it especially since the renovation. I think BobbyDav was referring to dillards the brand being a "mundane and uninteresting store," not the specific southpark location.

Edited by Guest

Is Dillard's really that awefull. SouthPark is the showcase mall of the Carolinas and it seems they would want to have a flagship presence in such an upscale mall.

Flagship Shmagship!! They don't carry anyway World Renowned elite Italian brands like Neiman and Nordstrom do. The word "upscale" means different things to different people.....some people think Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, and Polo are upscale......others desire Zegna, Rock & Republic, Prada, and Gucci......

Sorry about confusing anybody here, nibletodell is right I was reffering to the whole chain not just our specific Dillard's. All the same I'm sure a number of us, myself included seem a little snoody, so maybe I ought to better explain my thought process.

Dilliard's carries stuff that can be found pretty much anywhere, in fact most of their stock can be found in at least four or five other stores in SP. It's not that its bad stuff, in fact virtually everybody wears the stuff they carry. If you are looking for something interesting and different though Dillard's won't likely carry it. So to people who see fashion as an art or a hobby then Dillard's can seem dull.

Southpark Mall is pretty upscale, no its not Bal Harbour, but it is pretty upscale. Honestly if you look at it in perspective, how many people would have actually expected, in previous years, that there would be anything upscale at southpark at all, hell even in charlotte period. Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Hermes, and Neimen Marcus are all pretty big deals as far as luxury goes. I couldn't have imagined looking at the mall in the 90s and thinking wow, there is going to be a $3000 minimum per month apartment building where that christmas tree stands.

Edited by Guest

Southpark Mall is pretty upscale, no its not Bal Harbour, but it is pretty upscale. Honestly if you look at it in perspective, how many people would have actually expected, in previous years, that there would be anything upscale at southpark at all, hell even in charlotte period. Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Hermes, and Neimen Marcus are all pretty big deals as far as luxury goes. I couldn't have imagined looking at the mall in the 90s and thinking wow, there is going to be a $3000 minimum per month apartment building where that christmas tree stands.

I think most people knew that upscale retail would find its way to Charlotte eventually, if not sooner than it did. It surprised me that even as late as 2000, the 11th largest state in the country (now the 10th I believe) had very little luxury offerings and Charlotte being a financial center had pretty much nothing.

Flagship Shmagship!! They don't carry anyway World Renowned elite Italian brands like Neiman and Nordstrom do. The word "upscale" means different things to different people.....some people think Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, and Polo are upscale......others desire Zegna, Rock & Republic, Prada, and Gucci......

Unfortunately very few people walk around on a casual day wearing Zegna and Gucci. As exciting as a DvF dress may be (and I do love them), its just not practical to wear something like that everyday, nor do many people do that.

Edited by Manolos

I'm a Nordstrom customer (for work) but I have found some things like Hickey Freeman trousers at Dillard's that were a good buy. Belk sells Corneliani suits and I like them, too. (Unfortunately, Belk doesn't have really good tailoring-they can't or won't recut trousers-so you have to go to Myers Park Tailors on Kings Drive.)

I'm not really a Neiman's customer but I'm glad they're in Charlotte, along with Kate Spade, Burberry, Hermes and the other luxury retailers at SouthPark.

I'd like for Charlotte to have a Barney's but given that they just opened in San Francisco it'll be years, if ever, before they open in Charlotte.

Unfortunately very few people walk around on a casual day wearing Zegna and Gucci. As exciting as a DvF dress may be (and I do love them), its just not practical to wear something like that everyday, nor do many people do that.
I agree. Even "people with money" don't rock designer labels all the time.

Perhaps I should have been a little more clearer and said luxury retail, or luxury flagship.

Sorry for the confusion. :sick:

Who is that, I have never heard of that designer, and I know most of them, not as well as Manolos but pretty good anyway.

Is this middle class, upscale, or luxury?

It's an upscale men's salon that just caters to men (obviously). Pretty cool concept I think. A little pricey for a haircut, but still neat non-the-less. They have a location in uptown. Here's their site: Emerson Joseph. It's also a Charlotte based company too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yea and they forgot to factor in "luxury retail."

I was at SouthPark over the weekend:

- I finally got a beer in Billy Reid! The store is finally starting to grow on me, though I'm still not crazy about it. It's definitely an interesting concept.

- Pure Denim is pretty cool. It's a bit more 'urban' than I expected, and that's kind of a breath of fresh air for that wing of the mall. Prices were decent, selection was better.

- The revolving store next to Belk's cosmetics mall entrance is now Pacific Green, an environmentally-friendly furniture store. It won't last long.

- Dillard's renovation looks good (if a bit bland) on the first and second floors, but it's looking rather ragged on the upper level. I like that there's still part of Ivey's there, but it looks really dim and uninviting now. The surprising thing for me though is that they did absolutely nothing to the mall entrance except change the floor. If you're gonna renovate, go all the friggin' way!

- Bombay will soon be going out of business chain-wide, according to industry reports. What does the future hold for the SouthPark space? Stay tuned.