SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I was at SouthPark over the weekend:

- I finally got a beer in Billy Reid! The store is finally starting to grow on me, though I'm still not crazy about it. It's definitely an interesting concept.

- Pure Denim is pretty cool. It's a bit more 'urban' than I expected, and that's kind of a breath of fresh air for that wing of the mall. Prices were decent, selection was better.

- The revolving store next to Belk's cosmetics mall entrance is now Pacific Green, an environmentally-friendly furniture store. It won't last long.

- Dillard's renovation looks good (if a bit bland) on the first and second floors, but it's looking rather ragged on the upper level. I like that there's still part of Ivey's there, but it looks really dim and uninviting now. The surprising thing for me though is that they did absolutely nothing to the mall entrance except change the floor. If you're gonna renovate, go all the friggin' way!

- Bombay will soon be going out of business chain-wide, according to industry reports. What does the future hold for the SouthPark space? Stay tuned.

I think they should move Sigrid Olsen to the Bombay spot, so that way A/X can open there thanks! lol

ARMED MAN ROBS SOUTHPARK STORE

On Monday 4 Nordstrom employees were robbed at gunpoint by an asailant who was able (in front of cameras) to steal 9 necklaces before pulling the gun.

When asked about security, a SouthPark Mall spokesperson would not go into details.

Molly Parish said they do not believe that it is in the best interest of the public to discuss what measures have been or are being taken or how they are responding specifically to the subject of securing Simon malls.

• 2 weeks later...

So is anyone else kind of wishing upon a star that SP goes 2 stories? If they want to lure more high-end stores or more stores in general they have no choice, unless Dick's goes sour and they build another wing with another department store in that area....hard to tell still.

why would i want anything in the world such as this that would take away retail from downtown, answer me that.

Mod edit. Please do not attack other forumers.

Wasn't SouthPark built so that it could support another level being added at some point if the need arose? The SouthPark area could easily continue to support more stores as we all know it's become quite the "Buckhead" of Charlotte. It is quite feasible and with the density increasing around the mall with condos either built, under construction, or proposed, more stores could be justified. Despite the fact that we all want more options and liveliness downtown, we can't forget about the rest of Charlotte. SouthPark will continue to expand and attact more business.

Personally I hate the idea of expanding it to two stories. Larger Malls have a completely seperate apeal from SP and they feel so cold and distant. SP as of now support modest smattering of high end retailers already, and there is plenty of peripheral space in surounding and congruent shopping areas. A lot of high end shopping malls have surounding space for excess; Tysons comes to mind with Gucci, Hermes, and Tiffany's detached.

Ok so here is what I was thinking.....since we need a department store uptown, why doesnt' Macy*s open there and the Macy*s at SP turn into a BLoomie's??? But wait, most of the clientele uptown will be high income, so maybe the bloomies should open uptown? Hmm.....

Bloomingdale's isn't coming to Charlotte anytime soon. I recently took a part-time job at the SP Macy's for the holidays and asked one of the managers (since both Macy's and Bloomingdale's are in the same corporate family, Macy's Inc. [formerly Federated]) about the possibility of Bloomingdale's coming to Charlotte, and she flat-out said that it isn't happening.

Besides, I think that if any of the departments should relocate from SP to Uptown, it should be Belk's, since that is their flagship store and having the flagship of a respectable department store chain Uptown would definitely help to take it to another level.

• 3 weeks later...

So is anyone else kind of wishing upon a star that SP goes 2 stories? If they want to lure more high-end stores or more stores in general they have no choice, unless Dick's goes sour and they build another wing with another department store in that area....hard to tell still.

Way back in this thread there is an associate that works for SouthPark Mall and she said the architects didn't design the mall to hold the weight of a second level unlike Lenox Square in Atlanta that added a second level in 1996 and then again in 2007 to thier Neiman Marcus wing.

I guess the only thing to do is tear down that big box store and add on out that way with or without a department store addition.

I guess the only thing to do is tear down that big box store and add on out that way with or without a department store addition.

I have a better idea, two words, downtown retail. Remember Ladies, URBANplanet not SHOPPINGplanet, this is about urbanity not whos mall is bigger than whos.

I was hoping dub1's excellent choice of taking this off the top would hide this topic forever, unfortunately it did not.

Edited by 83alphaunder

I have a better idea, two words, downtown retail. Remember Ladies, URBANplanet not SHOPPINGplanet, this is about urbanity not whos mall is bigger than whos.

I was hoping dub1's excellent choice of taking this off the top would hide this topic forever, unfortunately it did not.

I agree that it is important to achieve a balance in retail sectors throughout the city.

Edited by DigitalSky

Way back in this thread there is an associate that works for SouthPark Mall and she said the architects didn't design the mall to hold the weight of a second level unlike Lenox Square in Atlanta that added a second level in 1996 and then again in 2007 to thier Neiman Marcus wing.

Did Lenox only add their second floor in 1996 -- or did they add the second floor with "1996" in mind? Any details are appreciated.

The recent addition of a whole other floor of retail certainly explains the proximity of Phipps, though (the duplicity of some stores is still funny).

I don't see where your comments are particularly helpful, seeing as this is a thread about a mall. For that matter, very few posters on this topic have been female. Further, if you don't like the thread, please do yourself a favor and don't look at it.

Your line of reasoning suggests that downtown emptied out simply because people (in your supposed view, misguidedly) thought malls were cool, and that if somehow people stopped shopping at SouthPark that downtown would miraculously start sporting Saks and Gucci. It's a flawed theory not based in reality.

I don't have issues with downtown shopping. I shop everywhere, and would welcome an Uptown renaissance as much as anyone here. But stoking the fires of downtown shopping without the improved demographics and demonstrated interest from a mix of national and local retailers that it needs to be sustainable is pointless. The infrastructure has to be there as well to make it work, and there's not a lot of that happening with or without SouthPark being thrown into the equation.

Actually this is a forum led to discuss all issues and areas of Charlotte, whether that may be the sprawled out neighborhoods or the center city. Southpark is part of our city and honestly it's only minutes south from uptown. I despise SP and will never walk into that mall b/c I don't feel like being looked down upon, however face it, it is a fact of Charlotte, along with the other areas of our Metro. We can either work on how to improve all areas of the city or continue to have a one focused mind, which is the same thing that "suburbanites" do to those of us who favor the denser areas of our city. I don't think it's necessary to drop down to that level. Believe it or not, but a lot of people on the forum live in areas that you would least expect and are drawn to urban issues and environments for other reasons. I will be moving into a townhouse in a somewhat suburban neighborhood near University City soon, and I don't think I'm a bad person because of it, just can't afford to live where i want in center city and don't feel like settling at this point. The Urban Physique as well as all of the suburban and sprawled out areas are a vital part to our city and that is how mass transit is changing and better assisting these areas, which we have topics in here about just that.

D,d Lenox only add their second floor in 1996 -- or did they add the second floor with "1996" in mind? Any details are appreciated.

The recent addition of a whole other floor of retail certainly explains the proximity of Phipps, though (the duplicity of some stores is still funny).

Very good Commoner, Simon Property Group, the owner of Lenox Square and SouthPark,DID in fact plan it to be completed in time for the Olympics, and the 2007 addition was because they ran out of room and needed more space and still need more space.

As far the duplication issue, I guess it's easier for Simon to put some heavy traffic shops in both malls, because if it didn't work, you know Simon wouldn't do it.

And I thought this thread was entitled SouthPark Mall and delt with issues concerning what is going on with this mall, NOT about everything going on in Charlotte. I'm sure there is a thread for that as well.

after watching some of the helicopter footage, it doesn't look like a structural issue. it looks like the car ran into the outside wall at high speed, causing the double tee structure to collapse.

You beat me to the punch. If you see the footage, you will see that the portion that collapsed is not even a parking area. Also, the front end of the car is smashed up pretty good indicating that it hit the wall at a fairly high rate of speed. That's all it would have taken to cause the collaspe.