SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I would have imagined that (even though this area is not used for parking) that it would be more structurally sound to withstand a collision such as this without causing it to collapse.

I don't want to get into assuming too much here, but in a precast parking structure like this one, the double tees are only supported by a few inches of concrete on the edge of the building. These are only designed to carry vertical loads, so they are free to move horizontally on the support. Therefore, when the car slammed into the outer wall, the wall was moved enough to cause the tee to collaspe. I'm not sure on the design requirements for parking structure walls, but I believe that they are typically designed to handle an impact, but it would not be a full speed impact like you would design bridge railings or interstate barriers for. So if this car was travelling very fast it could have moved this wall enough to cause this failure.

here is the typical connection that bled-man was describing

pop_parkinggarage-03.jpg

image from the mid-atlantic precast association

in this photo, the concrete double tees sit on concrete haunches. those concrete haunches are cast into the exterior spandrel system. as bled-man described, any extreme horizontal force could potentially cause enough movement for a failure, especially if it happens in the middle of the spandrel. it should be noted that these connections typically feature steel plates which are welded together and would help in resisting any major movement.

Edited by Mugen682

CO update: (so sad)

A witness said a woman trying to enter a parking deck at SouthPark mall today hit a wall at high speed, causing a partial collapse of the deck. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, ... Rod Hodnett said he was on the deck when he saw a green Hyundai, driven by an older woman, stuck on a curb at the entrance to the third level. The car was at first unable to move, she said, then shot forward across the length of the deck. "She just went like a rocket," Hodnett said. "She just came off and hit the wall and the entire thing collapsed." Hodnett, who moved to help the woman get her car off the curb, said the woman clutched her chest before the accident. "I think she maybe mistook the gas for the brake."

Here's a link to some areal footage for those who have not seen it yet. I can't imagine the feeling before making contact with the wall, knowing that you've accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake. I've hit the gas instead of the break once before and its a very unassuming, sickly feeling, especcially if you notice a wall directly in front of you.

http://www.wcnc.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=198958

From what I can figure from my knowledge of how parking decks are put together, the other parts of the deck should be okay despite the partial collapse of this section. Still, it wouldn't hurt to get an engineer out there to double-check the structural integrity.

Apparently the woman had a heart attack, causing her to hit the gas. She died on the way to the hospital. They had engineers here all day yesterday and say all levels of the deck may be cordoned off for a few months.

Apparently the woman had a heart attack, causing her to hit the gas. She died on the way to the hospital. They had engineers here all day yesterday and say all levels of the deck may be cordoned off for a few months.
That poor lady! My condolences go out to her and her loved ones.

It's unfortunate that the deck will have to close for the holidays and beyond, but considering what happened, it's not really safe right now.

That poor lady! My condolences go out to her and her loved ones.

It's unfortunate that the deck will have to close for the holidays and beyond, but considering what happened, it's not really safe right now.

Ok. They decided to open the deck back up today. I guess things weren't as bad as initially feared.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at SouthPark very late last night wandering around Belk and I think I've figured out why a lot of people don't hold it to the same regard as stores like Nordstrom. The big surprise is that it's not the merchandise. Honestly, as long as we're not talking menswear, Belk holds up pretty favorably with the competition, and in some cases surpasses it. Even in menswear there's not a whole lot wrong, but it's definitely not as adventurous or distinguished as its competition.

The problem at Belk SouthPark, as I see it, is the visual merchandising and housekeeping. Admittedly, no store looks really great at the end of the holiday season, but there's not a big attempt to make the store look organized or even "pretty." It's just a lot of nice stuff crammed into a room. People spending that kind of money on clothes want more atmosphere.

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet...The Counter is open at SouthPark. I stopped in tonight. Food is good. Seems like a cool place. They are very eager for customers! They said they opened last Wednesday (19th). Said lunches had been busy but dinner had been a little slow. It's a little expensive but worth checking out.

Olsen of Europe has closed.......good that store sucked anyways, no if only Sigrid Olsen could close! Along with Coldwater Creek and the rest of those boring repetitive women stores! UGH! SIMON Come on! Bring some quality stores!
You mean the women's stores that are consistent performers that form the bulk of why the target demographic of the mall shops there? Yeah, they really need to get rid of those :lol: :sarcasm:

Went to Counter. Great Burger, Great Waitress, MISERABLE sweet tea. Traded it in for a coke. All in all I was happy though.

Went to Counter, Great burgers, Great Waitress, idiots for cooks, however my sweet tea was okay. We had 4 people at our table, and all 4 burgers had something wrong with it. They must have paired up the wrong buns with each burger, because the toppings, cheeses and everything were completely switched around, even though it is perhaps the easiest ordering process on earth. Not only were our burgers wrong, the ladies beside us ordered beef burgers, and one recieved chicken and the other recieved turkey. I must say though that it is a great concept, and due to our already starving nature, we said screw it and just ate what was in front of us, which still managed to be fantastic. I'll just give it a few weeks for them to work out the kinks.

The only thing I must say I'll change next time I go there is I'll order the "Starch Starters" with the meal instead of before. I certainly didn't enjoy having all those sweet potatoe fries, fries, onion rings, and fried pickles in front of me before the food actually got there. I like to eat the most unhealthy part of the meal in limited amounts, not that the burger is that healthy either, haha.

Olsen of Europe has closed.......good that store sucked anyways, no if only Sigrid Olsen could close! Along with Coldwater Creek and the rest of those boring repetitive women stores! UGH! SIMON Come on! Bring some quality stores!

I know how you feel on that one. Phipps Plaza has a Sigrid Olsen and Coldwater Creek on the second level of the Nordstrom Wing.

Damn it Simon get your act together!!! :angry:

It looks like your wish for one of the stores will come true! :)

Liz Caliborne owner of Sigrid Olsen will be shuttering all the Sigrid Olsen stores by the spring of 2008.

http://www.hometextilestoday.com/article/CA6518086.html

Edited by kennethdisraili