SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I just read in the Atlanta Biz Journal that Sharper Image filed chapter 11 yesterday. This is sad news for such a great company. Could this lead to a closing at the southpark location?

Sun234

Yeah I heard about that......I stopped by the SP store and they said there were no announcements made about a closing for that location

I just read in the Atlanta Biz Journal that Sharper Image filed chapter 11 yesterday. This is sad news for such a great company. Could this lead to a closing at the southpark location?

Sun234

Most probably know, but for what it's worth - Chapter 11 isn't necessarily dissolution, just reorganization under the supervision of the US District Courts. It could result in some store closings, but a wholesale dissolution would necessarily occur after a Chapter 7 filing.

I'm somewhat shocked both Champs and Finish Line closed. Neither store appeared to be doing that badly. It's wasn't like Foot Locker where you could see the writing on the wall around Christmas.

But when you think about it, Champs was awkwardly located in a wing with no complimentary retail. That couldn't have helped.

Still, to go from three in-line sneaker stores to one is something else. I won't miss Champs or Foot Locker, though I got a great pair of Pumas at Champs a couple years ago.

Dick's has a decent athletic shoe section, but it's not as good as Finish Line's was.

I figure Sharper Image will close soon. That's a good spot for something a little less quirky.

I'm somewhat shocked both Champs and Finish Line closed. Neither store appeared to be doing that badly. It's wasn't like Foot Locker where you could see the writing on the wall around Christmas.

But when you think about it, Champs was awkwardly located in a wing with no complimentary retail. That couldn't have helped.

Still, to go from three in-line sneaker stores to one is something else. I won't miss Champs or Foot Locker, though I got a great pair of Pumas at Champs a couple years ago.

Dick's has a decent athletic shoe section, but it's not as good as Finish Line's was.

I figure Sharper Image will close soon. That's a good spot for something a little less quirky.

I hope Sharper Image doesnt close at SP....it's a unique store, and it's probably in one of the best locations in the mall that it can be in. I'm wondering what the 3 or 4 stores that will replace these closings will be :dontknow:

I hope Sharper Image doesnt close at SP....it's a unique store, and it's probably in one of the best locations in the mall that it can be in. I'm wondering what the 3 or 4 stores that will replace these closings will be :dontknow:
They're more likely to close than stay open. The reorganization is going to close 90 of their 167 stores, and after seeing a retail bankruptcy or two in my life, the remaining stores probably won't last past Christmas.

At one point SouthPark had a waiting list of stores that wanted to come in, so I don't think filling the spaces will be difficult, but I'm in the dark about what could be coming, too.

With Foot Locker and Champs closing, there go the last remnants of SouthPark's association with the former F.W. Woolworth Co. The realtionship starteed with the mall's opening, and at one point, Woolworth and its successor companies had as many as half a dozen stores at SouthPark, including the namesake store, at least two Foot Locker concepts, Richman Brothers, and Kinney Shoes.

Comparing other cities of similiar size and looking at what they have:

Armani Exhange, Metropark, True Religion, Sony Style (could replace Sharper Image?), MAC cosmetics, bebe sport, and Betsey Johnson could all be possiblities (especially if Jacksonville, FL has or is getting most of these stores). When I was told about Intermix, she said that they would announce the other stores soon. Whatever they are, they probably won't open until the summer.

Comparing other cities of similiar size and looking at what they have:

Armani Exhange, Metropark, True Religion, Sony Style (could replace Sharper Image?), MAC cosmetics, bebe sport, and Betsey Johnson could all be possiblities (especially if Jacksonville, FL has or is getting most of these stores). When I was told about Intermix, she said that they would announce the other stores soon. Whatever they are, they probably won't open until the summer.

When Sigrid Olsen closes that'll be a good spot for either Gucci or A/X......Champs is a good spot for something middle range (Gymboree needs to go in that wing to make room for something upscale in that wing).....Sony style could definately replcae Sharper Image.....and they should move Marmi to where Bombay was and put a Bebe Sport over there to be close to Bebe.....Foot locker can be replaced by Water Water, so that way Starbucks can expand that cramped spot! And for the Finish Line spot, hmm.....Diesel!!!!!

When Sigrid Olsen closes that'll be a good spot for either Gucci or A/X......Champs is a good spot for something middle range (Gymboree needs to go in that wing to make room for something upscale in that wing).....Sony style could definately replcae Sharper Image.....and they should move Marmi to where Bombay was and put a Bebe Sport over there to be close to Bebe.....Foot locker can be replaced by Water Water, so that way Starbucks can expand that cramped spot! And for the Finish Line spot, hmm.....Diesel!!!!!

Serioulsy Temeteron, you need to put Nicole Bostic out of a job and get her's as Marketing Director!! :good: , and Steven could be Asst. Marketing Director!! :thumbsup: , and I'll be regional CEO for Simon!! :yahoo:

Serioulsy Temeteron, you need to put Nicole Bostic out of a job and get her's as Marketing Director!! :good: , and Steven could be Asst. Marketing Director!! :thumbsup: , and I'll be regional CEO for Simon!! :yahoo:

Where on earth do u guys get ur delusional pills, cuz I need to score some. But seriously, I can see some switching around, but Gucci ( a fab brand) & A/X, I'll see when I believe. A/X isn't a desirable brand to me, I could see it sitting next to pure denim in the overpriced trash section. Honestly I would like to see some high end nameworthy shoe stores before anything you mentioned. Jimmy Choo or Stuart Weitzman would be nice. A great and realistic store to shoot for would be Marc by Marc Jacobs, the one in savannah is fantastic, and in a small market.

Heres a job for Temeteron, I understand you work at Neimen Marcus. I want you to observe for one or two weeks the sales patterns at the numerous boutiques at Neimen Marcus, and report back to me how they do. I'm interested in which ones do better than the others, I think that will have a lot to do with which ultralux store we land next.

I've always thought of A/X as very "Jersey Shore". Kind of trashy folks trying to look exclusive by purchasing something with Armani written on its exterior. I have a feeling it will be very popular with those with low self esteem.

I rather have a store that has Armani glued on every shirt 10 zillion times than a stores like Gap, Old Navy, Lucky, or Express that has their logos glued on their shirts! It's very popular in the European-American community...its not just a Jersey thing

I rather have a store that has Armani glued on every shirt 10 zillion times than a stores like Gap, Old Navy, Lucky, or Express that has their logos glued on their shirts! It's very popular in the European-American community...its not just a Jersey thing

I'm fairly certain Armani Being Glued all over it is what makes it trashy. Thats seems to pretty much be the only thing glued all over A/X clothes. Its what rednecks wear to make themselves feel stylish, its like the american eagle of "high fashion" And as far as Gap, Old Navy, Lucky or Express go, they aren't half as bad as A/X there is more to them than that, while I don't like gap and old navy, at least express is functional. Oh and when is the last time u walked into express because I haaven't seen there logo pasted all over anything.

Edited by Guest

Sounds like a plan! :shades:

A{sodEmoji.|}X is kinda low on my priority list. I'd rather have a mainline Armani boutique, and some cooler young brands like Diesel and Miss Sixty/Energie, though the latter is a little trendy for SouthPark at present.

I'm a little busy these days, but when I'm rested, I'll come up with some names I'd like to see.

I've always thought of A/X as very "Jersey Shore". Kind of trashy folks trying to look exclusive by purchasing something with Armani written on its exterior. I have a feeling it will be very popular with those with low self esteem.

Hey, now... :P

I'll admit that I have shopped at A{sodEmoji.|}X over the past few years. The reason for going in there the first time was because I heard rave reviews from a couple of friends of mine and on this board. I had known about the store but never thought it would appeal to me. I needed some trendy everyday clothes and their style fit me perfectly. But, as I've gone to them more often at Tysons and Boca Raton Town Centre, I have felt a lot of discomfort shopping with them. To put it this way, I probably don't fit in with their targeted demographic ('scene' teens/adults, gay males, and urban women). I went to their Tyson's store for their after Christmas sale and was appalled at how people were cramming the store to buy cheap, paper-thin shirts at less than stellar prices. I am more of a quality over quanity type of person.

Ok guys, maybe A/X is the bottom of Mr. Armani's line, but Charlotte with a hip, affluent population could certainly support an Emporio Armani Boutique, and I know you can buy online, but they don't offer as many threads, colors, or the supply of sizes that their boutiques do.

It must be free-standing and not in a mall.

The one in Lenox Square is 8,000 sq. ft., but like posted earlier by Steven I think, there will be alot of shuffling around of stores possibly providing a large slot for Zara.

Nicole Bostic is really a good Marketing Director, and I'm sure she has alot in store for SouthPark.

A friend of mine works for Zara in DC and he says Zara will be announcing soon about a store in SP opening in July 08. What space would be a good fit for Zara? The store in DC is so large it has escalators. Just curious.

I would think it would have to be one of the former shoe stores. They are larger than the other stores that have closed.