SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Prada in the Southeast before locating in Atlanta- no.

Gucci- yes, but they have been in Atlanta since 1969.

I've got to see what Nicole Bostic my old friend that ran Phipps Plaza before being transferred to SouthPark has to say about the Prada rumor, and remember the Devil wears Prada!!! :lol: , but now that I think about it so does my mother!! :o

I talked to Nicole Bostic, the Marketing Director for SouthPark Mall today for about 10 minutes mostly reminincing over her old days at Phipps Plaza, anyway this is straight from the horses mouth, " We have no plans for a Prada Boutique at this time, but we look forward to a future date when Prada can be supported by the Charlotte population."

So don't give up, that day may be just a year away according to Nicole Bostic, and as far as shoes, she told me they are looking at several upscale and luxury designers including Stuart Wietzman and Salvatore Ferragamo.

Hope this info helps you guys!!!

Edited by kennethdisraili

I can tell you Ferragamo isn't just a shoe store, they carry handbags, messenger bags, small leather goods and select locations also carry their ready to wear line.

Wietzman is basically shoes and handbags, so I would choose Ferragamo if I had my choice Temeteron.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, I've been in the market for a $200 linen shirt and Old Navy just wasn't cuttin' it for me.

Anyone know if Cole Haan, Sigrid Olsen, and Michael Kors are pals? I can see them vacationing in Monaco together. :P

The Michael Kors stores are all mostly accessories stores (some clothing, but mostly shoes, purses, wallets, belts, etc.)

I think Michael Kors is a pretty big deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I went to the website and there wasn't even a listing for Atlanta. Is this true?

Atlanta does not have a Michael Kors.

GEOX (shoe store, some apparel) is opening in the old Olsen Europe spot. It isn't listed on the mall website yet but they have the construction wall up. There are only a handful of stores so I guess this is a pretty good catch. Charlotte is also listed on the store website as opening soon.

http://www.geoxusa.info/

Edited by nyxmike

It has just been announced that Michael Kors and Bulgari are opening thier Atlanta boutiques at Lenox Square, and either Chanel or Prada have signed a lease on the Neiman Marcus wing.

Glad you guys are getting the Michael Kors boutique also!! :thumbsup:

Edited by kennethdisraili

I am very dissapointed with both actuallly......this past year hasnt been what we were expecting/wishing.....I guess the economy is to blame :SIGH:

Um.....

Maybe not what you have expected, I don't know how you can say "we."

This is what I expected, charlotte is a smaller undervalued and underappreciated market and will continue to be so until we do something groundbreaking. Michael Kors and GEOX, I don't think thats bad at all. Honestly Charlotte needs more (actually more than none) niche districts with locally started boutiques, not pretentious single merchandise stores from LA and NYC. Whats wrong with boutiques that carry everything you can think of? Luxury Retail at a suburban mall doesn't make or break a city, not having prada or A/X (barf) is not going to bring us down as a city.

I think we should shift our retail focus:

5 points and central and thomas in Plaza Midwood

Camden in Southend,

Brevard in downtown

the Winter Garden and the Founders Hall Redo

Wachovia's 50k sq feet of retail

Epicentre

Elizabeth Ave.

Providence Rd around Cherokee.

We need shopping streets, not shopping malls.

Edited by 83alphaunder

I agree with alpha. In a way, we should be happy that these high end retailers haven't been sucked into a shopping mall. This gives a chance for A/X, prada, etc to enter the uptown market where it actually belongs. Hopefully this influx of retail space will allow us some decent shopping uptown rather than just services and entertainment like we've seen so far. I'd rather Southpark be imploded and turned into a dense network of mid-rise towers like the newly proposed Presby. retirement center with the same retail at their bases. This would create a shopping district rather than just a suburban shopping mall with a sea of parking lots. This would also hopefully cut down a little on traffic in the area and get more people on their feet.

^Agreed with both you guys. Nothing is worse than driving through a slew of strip malls with a sea of parking lots. It's a total nightmare. I've lived in places before where that's the norm and did my best to avoid those areas. Northern VA and parts of Richmond, VA were famous for that. It's good to have some of these high end places at Southpark, but like Aussie said, I think it's important to put the Pradas and A/Xs uptown to create a more central shopping district with lots of foot traffic. I may go to Southpark a few times a year and that's usually b/c I have a BR gift card, LOL...

I too am a much bigger fan of Downtown Urban street boutique shopping (It's like that everywhere in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Canada, and most of the bigger cities in the US. ) but, in our case the high income demographics are mostly around SP area......not too many retailers (especially ones that are new to the market) are going to want to open uptown without anything being there yet. I think H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, and Guess, maybe a sunglass store would do great uptown for now.....It might take a while before anything more high end would show their face unfortunately.....