SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

dillards2_large.jpg

this would be a nice look for dillards I Kinda like this look

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but every other Dillard's looks like that. SouthPark's Dillard's store is currently unique.

Some newer dillard's are featuring more glass in the front, but still the arches.

Stony Point, VA

str0479.jpg

St John's Town Center, Jacksonville, FL

http://community.webshots.com/photo/301892...301892011atFnAo

What I've heard though is that SouthPark's Dillard's store will not have the arches though

Yeah but every other Dillard's looks like that.  SouthPark's Dillard's store is currently unique.

Some newer dillard's are featuring more glass in the front, but still the arches.

Stony Point, VA

str0479.jpg

St John's Town Center, Jacksonville, FL

http://community.webshots.com/photo/301892...301892011atFnAo

What I've heard though is that SouthPark's Dillard's store will not have the arches though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two comments:

-- I hope that the Dillard's at SouthPark will look different. I am an arch fan, but after over 15 years of "The Arch," it is time for Dillard's to evolve, which I hear they will do.

-- Speaking of "The Arch," the treatment of the mall entrance at St John's Town Center with a smaller version was different and unexpected (actually quite nice with the whole Spanish Colonial motif they've got going). At Stony Point, Dillard's went with a flat pediment with a huge sign on the marquee instead.

• Like 1

Ok.....the new Dillards plan was posted online today in the rezonings.....they are 47,500 sq. ft. to their existing store, though many of you will be sad to know that they are not updating the appearance significantly.....it will still be the big arch entries.

Here you go http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-113.htm

What I like most about this, is the site plan shows Holiday Park in greater detail. Also, in today's print version of the Business Journal, there is a rendering of Holiday Park. It will be 5 stories and look very SouthParkish (not in the crude animated sense)

Additionally, there appears to be a retail building on the site that is currently occupied by a surfact lot in front of Maggianos......

Edited by atlrvr

Ok.....the new Dillards plan was posted online today in the rezonings.....they are 47,500 sq. ft. to their existing store, though many of you will be sad to know that they are not updating the appearance significantly.....it will still be the big arch entries.

Here you go  http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-113.htm

What I like most about this, is the site plan shows Holiday Park in greater detail.  Also, in today's print version of the Business Journal, there is a rendering of Holiday Park.  It will be 5 stories and look very SouthParkish (not in the crude animated sense)

Additionally, there appears to be a retail building on the site that is currently occupied by a surfact lot in front of Maggianos......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Damn.

In my opinion, SouthPark was once an architectural marvel, now is becoming very generic looking - unfortunately.

Edited by cantnot

Well Damn.

In my opinion, SouthPark was once an architectural marvel, now is becoming very generic looking - unfortunately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! The two coolest parts of SouthPark were the Sears (gone) and Ivey's (Dillard's) stores. Even today, I don't think the Dillard's store looks dated. For what it is, it looks pretty progressive. I especaially like the way it used to look when each recessed section was uplit at night with the lebanon cedars lining the sidewalk. This arch thing will look dated the day its built. Oh well, another modern design goes the way of the dodo bird, all to be replaced with fake stucco and an arch that holds up nothing but the smog of Charlotte.

I don't think the Dillard's store looks dated.  For what it is, it looks pretty progressive.  I especaially like the way it used to look when each recessed section was uplit at night with the lebanon cedars lining the sidewalk.  This arch thing will look dated the day its built.  Oh well, another modern design goes the way of the dodo bird, all to be replaced with fake stucco and an arch that holds up nothing but the smog of Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it looks dated either, some could even argue it's post-modern. If anything I was hoping they would do and updated version of what they have (as I had hoped with Belk too) but as you said, more arches to hold up the smog.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to jb a few weeks ago, and i was rather surprised. I mean it is a nice book store and all, but for some reason, being a new brand to me, and being in south park mall, i assumed it would look like the library at the biltmore or something, with hardwood book cases, with ladders and fancy rugs and leather couches, etc.

It was just like a regular bookstore, though. nothing bad.. but nothing spectacular, imo.

i went to jb a few weeks ago, and i was rather surprised.  I mean it is a nice book store and all, but for some reason, being a new brand to me, and being in south park mall, i assumed it would look like the library at the biltmore or something, with hardwood book cases, with ladders and fancy rugs and leather couches, etc.

It was just like a regular bookstore, though. nothing bad.. but nothing spectacular, imo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I would have expected something spectacular too, it's still a good store like you said.

• 2 weeks later...

SouthPark, the region's most upscale shopping destination, will soon give shoppers more reasons to open their wallets.

Dillard's, the last SouthPark mall anchor to retain its original 1970s facade, recently filed plans for a massive expansion and remodeling. And dozens of new stores are opening in the mall and the area around it, evinced by the red earth and construction vehicles dotting the landscape.

The proposed 47,506-square-foot Dillard's addition would complete the mall's transformation into a high-end center that attracts shoppers from as far as Columbia and Virginia. Nordstrom and a new wing of high-fashion stores opened in 2004, and both Belk and Hecht's have completed multi-million dollar renovations. Luxury retailer Neiman Marcus is slated to open its first Carolinas store there in fall 2006.

More: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11772239.htm

and on a slightly related note

Neiman-Marcus Wing *New* Picture:

p10100868hs.jpg

A View from Joseph-Beth's upstairs at Sunset *new*

p10100856ga.jpg

MOD EDIT: Please don't copy news copy directly without quotes. Thanks.

Edited by dubone

Maybe it's just me, but isn't this statement contradictory? I mean, SPM is high-end and all, but Dillard's isn't the reason for it.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think what they meant was that the whole mall's transformation will be complete since Dillard's is the last store to remodel.

How much bigger will South Park Mall get. Hi, I was looking at the size of South Park and other malls. South Park is not all that big, don't get me wrong South Park is the best mall, and they are getting Nemuin Marcus. Even Richmond, VA has a bigger mall. So my question is will South Park stay the same after Nemuin Marcus or will it keep on getting bigger and bigger.

I think SouthPark, when all is said and done, will be pushing 1.5 million square feet (that includes the highrise that will be built across Dillard's)... I think after Dillard's is remodeled and Neiman-Marcus is built, the mall will pretty much be done. I don't think there's much room left for anything on the west plaza side either

• Like 1