SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

AA would be a good fit for SP. I also hope the Southend location stays. I was just in there and saw no sign of anything amiss. I appreciate their progressive manufacturing ethic and laidback vibe but I can get the same tee shirt at Marshalls for $8 that AA has $25.
Actually, you can't get the same t shirt at Marshall's. The one you buy at Marshall's was manufactured by people in Central America or Asia making pennies on the dollar working in squalor. The one you buy at AA was made in downtown Los Angeles by people working in a comfortable environment and making a decent living and afforded healthcare by their employer.

Correct.....not sure when exactly, but we should eventually be getting a NM restaurant and a Children's dept in the future......

"Should be getting" as in "we're good enough for" or "Neiman Marcus already is preparing plans to add"?

I LOVE the NM restaurants! They're really good- the Nordstrom cafe is good, but the NM restaurants I've been to are pretty posh, and definitely worth making a trip.

How would this compare to the old cafeteria that was in Belks? That place was great! I wish it wouldn't have closed. I know many people who miss it dearly.

I know this. That is why I mentioned their management ethic. However, I still can't afford to shop there too often for $30 tee shirts.
I'm really not trying to argue, but a 3 pack of standard jersey tees at AA cost $34. A 3 pack of Calvin Klein tees is $29.00. Difference? The Calvin's are made in Honduras. All I am saying is if you want to make a difference, shop wisely. I buy undershirts twice a year and think that paying $80 for seven of them from AA (a little over $11 each) is well worth the price knowing that I'm helping to keep someone in a decent job.

How would this compare to the old cafeteria that was in Belks? That place was great! I wish it wouldn't have closed. I know many people who miss it dearly.

Um, the NM restaurants are elite and actual restaurants. They are not "cafeterias" lol......what a horrible term to use

Edited by Temeteron

Um, the NM restaurants are elite and actual restaurants. They are not "cafeterias" lol......what a horrible term to use.

Wow I'm sorry you are so much better than all of us. It must be nice to be so "elite". So what do you do for a living again that makes you better than us? You really like to put on airs don't you, I'm not attacking you but its really unattractive. On a second note, glad to hear there is a chance of of Neimen Marcus expanding, even though I don't understand the idea of a kids section. Who exactly buys Neimen Marcus clothing for their children that they are going to outgrow in a matter of months?

Wow I'm sorry you are so much better than all of us. It must be nice to be so "elite". So what do you do for a living again that makes you better than us? You really like to put on airs don't you, I'm not attacking you but its really unattractive. On a second note, glad to hear there is a chance of of Neimen Marcus expanding, even though I don't understand the idea of a kids section. Who exactly buys Neimen Marcus clothing for their children that they are going to outgrow in a matter of months?

I never said I was better than anyone.....my point is is that "cafeterias" are not only a thing of the past, they are tacky and trashy and attract people that don't even fit into the clientele of NM, or most of SP mall in general. As for the potential children's department at NM, what's there not to understand? People want high quality clothing for their children just like they want high quality clothing for themselves. What's wrong with that? Look at the other stores in SP, like Janie & Jack, Gymboree, Pottery Barn Kids, Children's Place, etc. Traveling helps people understand a lot. I highly suggest it, because being local limits the way you think on fashion/retail...

I don't think Temeteron was trying to put on airs, but I think he has a negative view of cafeterias. It's fine, of course, because everyone has a right to their opinion. I personally enjoy a good cafeteria meal as much as I enjoy dining in fine restaurants. It's all in what you're in the mood for.

If NM did have a cafeteria, I'm sure it would be incredible. The Barclay at Belk was wonderful as well. I wish we had the former, and really wish the latter hadn't closed down.

I never said I was better than anyone.....my point is is that "cafeterias" are not only a thing of the past, they are tacky and trashy and attract people that don't even fit into the clientele of NM, or most of SP mall in general. As for the potential children's department at NM, what's there not to understand? People want high quality clothing for their children just like they want high quality clothing for themselves. What's wrong with that? Look at the other stores in SP, like Janie & Jack, Gymboree, Pottery Barn Kids, Children's Place, etc. Traveling helps people understand a lot. I highly suggest it, because being local limits the way you think on fashion/retail...

I work in a highly competitive industry, with highly competitive fashion requirements, in a large and highly competitive metro, New York City. I've been to 37 states, 18 countries, and 5 continents, so I'm not sure what travelling has to do with anything. Above you mentioned Janie & Jack, Gymboree, Pottery Barn Kids, and Children's Place as examples of high end childrens clothing stores, comparable to neimen marcus kids. Apparently you don't even know what your own store sells. For instance, the most expensive cardigan sweater for girls at gymboree is 34 dollars, where as the cheapest at neimen marcus is 88, and made by Juicy Couture. To compare any of these stores with Neimen Marcus is pure lunacy, unless of course I'm completely over estimating the price point of Neimen Marcus Children (which I'm not, I have researched). The only question I ask is why exactly would someone buy their child a quilted, faux fur burberry trench for 600 dollars that won't last them an entire winter. If you don't agree, something is wrong with you. I personally believe in buying quality products for your child, I was personally raised on Ralph Lauren, and don't have any problem with spending a little on your children. There is quite the difference between buying your kids nice clothing, and dressing your children in haute couture, parading them around to show people just how "elite" you are. Psychologically speaking it does not really cater well for the childs future or personality. So lets not make generalizations or assumptions about eachother because I could make some huge ones about you and your "eliteness." Honestly you beotchize the word enough.

Edited by Guest

I have enjoyed cafeterias. I guess this makes me one of those "people" that corrupt SP's elite vibe. Anyway, some cafeterias can be upscale. My aunt works for Conde Nast and their caf has been legendary in New York for years. I guess if it's for rich people it's ok? I can't afford to shop much at NM or the other "elite" stores at the mall. Lots of us can't. Does that mean we should be banned from SouthPark? Some of us like The Gap as shocking as that may be. Snobbery is a very unappealing trait.

Edited by voyager12

The Neiman Marcus restaurants are pretty high-end, white-tablecloth restaurants with expensive artwork on the walls and are mid-priced to expensive; lunch for 2 at one in New Jersey was about $80 recently. Great food, and the popovers and monkey bread are terrific. The Neiman Marcus website should have menus for most of their restaurants, which seem to be called "Cafe NM" and "Mariposa Room" and the like.

So not at all similar to the cafeteria at Belk's! (And I like cafeterias and recall Morrison's at SouthPark (and every other Southern mall from the '70s) very fondly.)

Edited by mallguy

I highly suggest you try paying a visit to Cafeteria in Chelsea, NYC the next time you travel to a real city. Still one of the hippest restaurants in the USA.

And by the way, real high brow retail isn't usually found in a chain. One visit to Saville Row, Via Veneto, or Madison Ave will tell that tale very quickly. Rule number one in luxury retail: don't dilute the brand. Beyond that, SP ain't all that classy. What "classy" shopping center has a wig/hair extension cart in the middle of the corridor? If I were the folks at Banana Republic and BeBe, I'd be pissed off.

Edited by Miesian Corners

I never said I was better than anyone.....my point is is that "cafeterias" are not only a thing of the past, they are tacky and trashy and attract people that don't even fit into the clientele of NM, or most of SP mall in general. ....

The relative new K&W cafeteria at Lake Norman, right across the street from The Peninsula, stays packed and the parking lot is full of Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, (the expensive kind, not the cheap ones) and other exotic cars that one would not see at even SouthPark because it is considered too low brow a place to shop. You will also find construction workers, students and anyone else looking for a decent meal quick meal at reasonable prices. In fact this is the reason that I don't think I have ever seen a K&W that wasn't packed.

The cafeteria at Belk was often patronized by many SE Charlotte social groups over the years and there was a big outcry when it closed. It was said this would leave nothing but stuffy overpriced restaurants at SouthPark that don't serve good food.

Well, to each his (or her) own; I've been to Cafeteria in Chelsea and it's definitely hip, although I prefer department store dining and think that NM restaurants are the best of the bunch. For those with tastes unlike mine, I can see that Cafeteria in Chelsea would be preferable.

Glad to see that the Neiman Marcus at SouthPark is doing well; that bodes well for high-end retail in Charlotte.

There are some high-end chains on Madison Avenue; those stores are so rare (e.g., Gucci, etc.) though. I used to live on 92nd & Madison.

Edited by mallguy

I highly suggest you try paying a visit to Cafeteria in Chelsea, NYC the next time you travel to a real city. Still one of the hippest restaurants in the USA.

And by the way, real high brow retail isn't usually found in a chain. One visit to Saville Row, Via Veneto, or Madison Ave will tell that tale very quickly. Rule number one in luxury retail: don't dilute the brand. Beyond that, SP ain't all that classy. What "classy" shopping center has a wig/hair extension cart in the middle of the corridor? If I were the folks at Banana Republic and BeBe, I'd be pissed off.

hahaha, that is hilarious, and i totally agree about the wig kiosk......but that side of the mall is very different compared to the other side......

For the NM restaurants- Zagat online should have reviews and ratings of some of them (Mariposa, NM Cafe, etc. are the names- look on the Neiman Marcus.com site) and that should provide a good sampling of views.

(I've found that restaurants in Charlotte get much higher ratings than branches they have in larger cities- e.g., compare the Capital Grille in Charlotte vs. the one in NYC- and so adjust the NM restaurant ratings accordingly to see how they'd fit in the Charlotte dining scene.)

The relative new K&W cafeteria at Lake Norman, right across the street from The Peninsula, stays packed and the parking lot is full of Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, (the expensive kind, not the cheap ones) and other exotic cars that one would not see at even SouthPark because it is considered too low brow a place to shop. You will also find construction workers, students and anyone else looking for a decent meal quick meal at reasonable prices. In fact this is the reason that I don't think I have ever seen a K&W that wasn't packed.

The cafeteria at Belk was often patronized by many SE Charlotte social groups over the years and there was a big outcry when it closed. It was said this would leave nothing but stuffy overpriced restaurants at SouthPark that don't serve good food.

Since this is where the thread has gone, I figured I'd pile-on with my $0.02.

The idea of "elite" dining at a mall is pretty funny. To us the lexicon, I "lolled."

I don't mind showing my ass in this thread either, but my observation has been that people with real money (certainly not me - I'm guilty of hitting the bar at Morton's @ Southpark way too often) don't care whether the place they dine is considered "elite" or a dump - as long as the food and service are good. Evaluating one's (or one's own) SE status by whether one dines in a chain or local establishment, a cafeteria or a cafe, or anything else, is cheap (so to speak) and indicates that such person might be rich, but only with the "plastic" kind of money.

You guys are welcome to continue the cafeteria eliteness talk in the Charlotte Coffee House. :) Let's get back on topic...Southpark Mall (not cafeterias or restaurants in general, unless it concerns NM at SP or another location within SP Mall specifically.

I'll get back on topic...Any new openings or other store news?

SouthPark just updated their website.

Aeropostale is opening August 29th in the Macy's wing.

American Apparel is opening in mid to late August next to Wolf Camera at the main entrance.

Michael Kors is opening in November between Cole Haan and Burberry.

Edited by nyxmike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't see Justice at SouthPark...but who knows in this economy.

American Apparel and Aeropostale aren't bad. The former did one of the most inexpensive remodels I've seen of a former tanat space, but it still looks good in a creepy early '80s sort of way. The latter is testing a more sophisticated store desing, but the clothes are the dsame.

I haven't had a chance to visit Michael Kors yet. The stores tend to be pretty chic, and I'd imagine this one is typical of the chain.