SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

All I know is that my mom and I couldn't get our car to crank a couple years ago, in front of Neiman Marcus, no less, and security never came...even when we called them on the call box. Usually though, SouthPark security is more responsive.

Edited by StevenRocks

• 2 weeks later...

That location is bigger. The recession is not affecting SouthPark much. However, it has in the Macy's wing. There are two stores empty. If Steve Madden, Illuminations, The Children's Place close, the Macy's wing will be almost half empty. I wish upscale stores would go there, but I doubt that. Aeropostale, Hallmark, Lids, Stride Rite, SouthPark optical, & Mansion do not belong in the mall.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but how can you guys really be this into a mall?

If you're so into high-end retail, why not move to NY?

It's annoying to me that this thread is so often hijacked by snobbery as illustrated by two recent posts. I like clothes but I don't use them as a weapon to put down other people and places. SouthPark is our flagship mall so upscale shoppers want certain stores there. I am sorry it does not live up to your standards. And yes we all want to move to New York too :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be confrontational, but how can you guys really be this into a mall?

If you're so into high-end retail, why not move to NY?

No offense taken or (intentionally) given, but isn't there anything that you're really passionate about? SouthPark can have fans just like a football team or a pop star. Some of us are really into the history of the place, some are die-hard shoppers that don't get to go to New York and Atlanta as much as we'd like. For whatever reason, we are passionate about SouthPark.

No offense taken or (intentionally) given, but isn't there anything that you're really passionate about? SouthPark can have fans just like a football team or a pop star. Some of us are really into the history of the place, some are die-hard shoppers that don't get to go to New York and Atlanta as much as we'd like. For whatever reason, we are passionate about SouthPark.

Agreed! I've had a crush on SouthPark for almost 10 years now....It's amazing how much it's changed and progressed. Just because you're big on fashion doesn't mean you should be in NY....some of us can't afford NY, and our heart is in CLT....

I think that Lenox Square does a lot better than SouthPark with getting rid of the cheap stores. However, Lenox is more upscale. They only had like 3 stores that they need to get rid of...American Eagle, Foot Locker & Champs, and maybe Gap. I can make a whole list for SouthPark:American Eagle, Aeropostale, maybe Gap, The Children's Place, Stride Rite, SouthPark Optical, Claire's, Finish Line, Lids, LensCrafters & many more. I love SouthPark, but like Lenox better. I go to both about twice a year. :(

I think that Lenox Square does a lot better than SouthPark with getting rid of the cheap stores. However, Lenox is more upscale. They only had like 3 stores that they need to get rid of...American Eagle, Foot Locker & Champs, and maybe Gap. I can make a whole list for SouthPark:American Eagle, Aeropostale, maybe Gap, The Children's Place, Stride Rite, SouthPark Optical, Claire's, Finish Line, Lids, LensCrafters & many more. I love SouthPark, but like Lenox better. I go to both about twice a year. :(

I don't think SouthPark should cast itself as 100% exclusively upscale, It is good to still have that slight mix of mid-market retailers and service oriented shops I think.

I agree that SouthPark should not be exclusively upscale. Charlotte does not have the market to support a mall the size of SouthPark that would contain only expensive clothes.

Why do stores such as American Eagle or The Gap need to be gotten rid of? They serve a large niche. People do actually like them. Why is this so hard to respect? If you don't like them just walk by and shop elsewhere. I don't see how their presence negatively impacts your shopping trip.

I don't understand elitist thinking in this respect. I shop at Childrens Place and Stride Rite because I have kids and they have good products. Their prices aren't exactly at Dollar General levels either for the record. Does this mean that I shouldn't be allowed to set foot in Southpark because I don't fit the income bracket that is typical of most shoppers that frequent the stores there? I don't have a problem with high end stores, if someone wants to blow huge sums of money on clothing, be my guest. There shouldnt be a problem with a mix of stores setting up shop in the same mall.

For the record, Stride Rite was there when I was a kid, before this was a "high end" shopping palace. It's weird to think that it should be exiled to a second rate strip mall because some feel its not nice enough.

For the life of me, I do not understand the obsession with having to have nothing but high end retail in a mall. We all like nice things, some more than others but a Gap or a Foot Locker having a presence in any mall does not make or break it. If SouthPark mall was 100% high-end retail, I can't imagine that it would be doing well right now given the state of our economy. And it's this exact "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality that has this country in the position it's in now. Myself, and my better half (who like any woman likes to shop) is perfectly content with what we have here in Charlotte.

No mall is 100% upscale. I do not think that it should be all upscale. However, SouthPark may get rid of them eventually. Oh, and that is what makes SouthPark so unique...it has many stores that the other malls do not have. Northlake does have some..such as Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, abercrombie, Banana Republic, bebe, Steve Madden, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew & others, but they are all nice stores so they should be at SouthPark. People do shop at Gap. More people shop at Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister more than American Eagle. How would you like if all the malls in Charlotte were the same? Northlake & Carolina Place are pretty much the same. People consider SouthPark & Concord Mills are the shopping destinations for Charlotte. I do not like Concord Mills though.

Regular Stores should be at regular malls, not regular stores at upscale malls. Pretty much everything at SouthPark is not a regular store, with a few exceptions. I love SouthPark! I really do not think that Steve Madden is closing. I hope it is not.

No mall is 100% upscale. I do not think that it should be all upscale. However, SouthPark may get rid of them eventually. Oh, and that is what makes SouthPark so unique...it has many stores that the other malls do not have. Northlake does have some..such as Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, abercrombie, Banana Republic, bebe, Steve Madden, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew & others, but they are all nice stores so they should be at SouthPark. People do shop at Gap. More people shop at Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister more than American Eagle. How would you like if all the malls in Charlotte were the same? Northlake & Carolina Place are pretty much the same. People consider SouthPark & Concord Mills are the shopping destinations for Charlotte. I do not like Concord Mills though.

Regular Stores should be at regular malls, not regular stores at upscale malls. Pretty much everything at SouthPark is not a regular store, with a few exceptions. I love SouthPark! I really do not think that Steve Madden is closing. I hope it is not.

from what I understand steve madden mustve worked out something with the mall because now they are not closing.....

Steve Madden is no longer listed on SouthPark's website and the SouthPark location is no longer listed on Steve Madden's website. I guess it did close. Northlake is still listed though. Strange because the SouthPark store is usually always busy and the Northlake store is always empty...

Edited by nyxmike

Steve Madden is no longer listed on SouthPark's website and the SouthPark location is no longer listed on Steve Madden's website. I guess it did close. Northlake is still listed though. Strange because the SouthPark store is usually always busy and the Northlake store is always empty...

Well, I am going to SouthPark so I well see if it is closing.