SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

Helzberg diamonds is going to be split.....one side will be MAC cosmetics and the other side will be Francescas collection.....

Also.....Bakers shoes & Journey's are coming to where Steve madden & pacSun used to be

Glad to hear there's a plan. Considering the economy, SouthPark is doing pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...

Theres no plans for A H&M in charlotte. I think the next one thats going to open up in the South is going to be in orlando there getting 2 stores this year. heard that from one of the managers at the Atlanta location. Zara never had plans to open up in Southpark.

Edited by DOLCE&GABBANA

I know H&M is not really "upscale." But it always fits in with upscale stores in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see an H&M in between a Salvatore Ferragamo and a Louis Vuitton store. But after finding an H&M in this mall while eating at a Panera Bread there on a business trip, it really makes me wonder about how "exclusive" this place is...

http://www.shopphillipsburgmall.com/directory

This mall is like Eastland. Dying, decrepit, and nowhere near upscale (look how many "leasing opportunities" are on the map). I just thought it was crazy how we are all (including me) hoping for an H&M at SouthPark or uptown, thinking it's a sign of status or retail success or whatever while this podunk town an hour away from NYC has one in a dump of a suburban mall.

It kind of makes me think of this store as on the same level as Old Navy. I know, I know - I like the clothes at H&M way more than Old Navy too. I have never bought anything at Old Navy and I have bought and will buy more from H&M. I love the jeans, actually. Great fashion for a great price. But I think we might be getting too excited for a chain that seems no more exclusive than Old Navy outside of the SE.

I know H&M is not really "upscale." But it always fits in with upscale stores in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see an H&M in between a Salvatore Ferragamo and a Louis Vuitton store. But after finding an H&M in this mall while eating at a Panera Bread there on a business trip, it really makes me wonder about how "exclusive" this place is...

http://www.shopphillipsburgmall.com/directory

This mall is like Eastland. Dying, decrepit, and nowhere near upscale (look how many "leasing opportunities" are on the map). I just thought it was crazy how we are all (including me) hoping for an H&M at SouthPark or uptown, thinking it's a sign of status or retail success or whatever while this podunk town an hour away from NYC has one in a dump of a suburban mall.

It kind of makes me think of this store as on the same level as Old Navy. I know, I know - I like the clothes at H&M way more than Old Navy too. I have never bought anything at Old Navy and I have bought and will buy more from H&M. I love the jeans, actually. Great fashion for a great price. But I think we might be getting too excited for a chain that seems no more exclusive than Old Navy outside of the SE.

Hey they have a Dollar store, can't get much more upscale than that!

Phillipsburg is not exactly an upscale area, very much a working class town. I wouldn't be expecting an upscale mall there.

Used to be Rt. 22 was the only East-West route through there, then they bypassed Phillipsburg with I-78, so that may have sucked some of the life out of the Rt. 22 corridor. The bypass really was needed,though, traffic in Phillipsburg was getting horrendous.

I noticed something had been marked off the mall directories with a Sharpie! That was the place, because the markout was in the Village section of the directory.

Aside from The Counter, M5, Design Within Reach, and Emerson Joseph, is there anything else left in the Village section?

Paul Simon Co. and the cleaners are still there, and Crate & Barrel still serves as the 'anchor.'

True - I didn't think of C&B since it is its own building. I just remember a couple months ago I went to The Counter and this brand new upscale extension of SouthPark seemed like a 60% boarded-up abandoned development with a couple high-end retailers. The place was never full, and then to lose Origami Ink, the nice luggage store there, and The Grape...it almost seems like The Village was yesterday's news before it even got built (aside from C&B, that is).

True - I didn't think of C&B since it is its own building. I just remember a couple months ago I went to The Counter and this brand new upscale extension of SouthPark seemed like a 60% boarded-up abandoned development with a couple high-end retailers. The place was never full, and then to lose Origami Ink, the nice luggage store there, and The Grape...it almost seems like The Village was yesterday's news before it even got built (aside from C&B, that is).

Yeah, and I don't know if you guys remember, but when the Village first started getting tenants, there were actually plans for a Starbucks and a Marble Slab to open there....both of them pulled out. Starbucks pulled out simply because that was during the period of them closing stores, and not to mention there is one right at the entrnace into the mall and across the street at Taj ma Teeter.....not sure what happened to Marble Slab....

Edited by Temeteron

Yeah, and I don't know if you guys remember, but when the Village first started getting tenants, there were actually plans for a Starbucks and a Marble Slab to open there....both of them pulled out. Starbucks pulled out simply because that was during the period of them closing stores, and not to mention there is one right at the entrnace into the mall and across the street at Taj ma Teeter.....not sure what happened to Marble Slab....
The economy and credit crisis did a number on retail in general; the Village was no exception. I think the concept is still solid, but it make take a few years for it to blossom into what was predicted at first.

Yeah, I never actually remember that it is there because it really does not have anything. So, I always forget about it (Except for C&B).

• 1 month later...

It would be very nice if Macy's at SouthPark and other stores in the south were nicer. If they were originally Macy's they are a lot better. The Pentagon City Macy's was just like a Nordstrom. So, basically it was pretty much anchored by 2 Nordstroms.
Macy's SouthPark is competing against four of the most distinguished department stores in the city, all of which have sewed up some pretty lucrative vendor exclusives. Macy's has an uphill battle to stand out, to say the least.

Pentagon City is the closest mall to a major number of Federal employees and other high-earners. With no Neiman Marcus or Saks nearby, Macy's and Nordstrom can take their merchandising up to an extremely high level, more so than they can in Charlotte.

Macy's SouthPark is competing against four of the most distinguished department stores in the city, all of which have sewed up some pretty lucrative vendor exclusives. Macy's has an uphill battle to stand out, to say the least.

Pentagon City is the closest mall to a major number of Federal employees and other high-earners. With no Neiman Marcus or Saks nearby, Macy's and Nordstrom can take their merchandising up to an extremely high level, more so than they can in Charlotte.

Thats true. Macy's could still do better in the south. Macy's Lenox is a flagship store for the company and there was really no difference in the Pentagon City store, however, Macy's Lenox did almost not seem as good as Pentagon City. Therefore, you would think that Macy's Lenox should at least be the same or better (but its not). Macy's SouthPark could at least compete with Nordstrom. Just because they are also 4 other stores that sell some of the same stuff does not mean Macy's could do better. However, people will proabably still not go there because Macy's has never had much. Dillard's has the same problem. You could buy the same thing at Belk or Macy's cheaper (probably). If you were spending that much for clothes you should just go to Nordstrom because you can get better things for not much more because Dillard's hardly has sales. Guess that Macy's is good for something.

Macy's SouthPark has a real estate problem. They're the least visible anchor store: not on the main road and stuck in a perpetually dull wing of the mall. They'd rally have to pull of some major distinctiveness to make shoppers notice them.

They'll never really match Nordstrom. Nordstrom SouthPark carries a broader array of sizes and upscale brands in the most popular merchandise categories than Macy's and offers a level of customer service unequaled by any anchor in the mall.

The Macy's in Manhattan and the one at Roosevelt Field in Long Island have Louis Vuitton shops in them, so there is some upscale hope for that chain.

But how many luxury department stores does central Charlotte need?

Most "TRUE" Macys Stores are pretty luxurious. Thanks to the fact Macy's parent company, Federated, whos hunger to gobble up stores has proven insatiable, there is a vast difference between its most luxurious stores and its least. Macys was a late arrival to charlotte, taking the place city wide of Hecht's Department Stores, which in my opinion was only a step up from sears/jc penney.

Most "TRUE" Macys Stores are pretty luxurious. Thanks to the fact Macy's parent company, Federated, whos hunger to gobble up stores has proven insatiable, there is a vast difference between its most luxurious stores and its least. Macys was a late arrival to charlotte, taking the place city wide of Hecht's Department Stores, which in my opinion was only a step up from sears/jc penney.

Macy's will definitely not match Nordstrom, but the "True" Macy's stores are nice. The ones at Roosevelt Field, Downtown Minneapolis, Flagship store, Pentagon City, and Menlo Park are all nice stores (I have heard) and are similar to Nordies. Macy's, too is only a step up from Sears & JCPenney. I can see why Macy's SouthPark does not do very good.

Thats true. Macy's could still do better in the south. Macy's Lenox is a flagship store for the company and there was really no difference in the Pentagon City store, however, Macy's Lenox did almost not seem as good as Pentagon City. Therefore, you would think that Macy's Lenox should at least be the same or better (but its not).

I would assume that any perceived difference between the Pentagon City Macy*s and the Lenox Square Macy*s has to do with the malls in which these stores are located.

While the Lenox Square Macy*s is a flagship location, it also is in the same mall with Federated's higher end Bloomingdale's. Perhaps the corporate marketing department of Federated deem it better business to market this Macy*s slightly lower than Bloomingdale's...which is a mere stroll down the corridor. Same stores (or should I say stores owned by the same company) cannibalizing on themselves in the same mall wouldn't make much sense. At the Pentagon City location Macy*s competes directly with Nordstrom but does not have any other Federated brands in which it competes.

I would assume that any perceived difference between the Pentagon City Macy*s and the Lenox Square Macy*s has to do with the malls in which these stores are located.

While the Lenox Square Macy*s is a flagship location, it also is in the same mall with Federated's higher end Bloomingdale's. Perhaps the corporate marketing department of Federated deem it better business to market this Macy*s slightly lower than Bloomingdale's...which is a mere stroll down the corridor. Same stores (or should I say stores owned by the same company) cannibalizing on themselves in the same mall wouldn't make much sense. At the Pentagon City location Macy*s competes directly with Nordstrom but does not have any other Federated brands in which it competes.

That would make sense. If both were the same then one of the other would probably kill the other.